30 Minutes of Exercise does the trick (New Study Reveals)

Options
I found this interesting, so I thought I would share :-)

HERE IS THE LINK (WITH VIDEO):

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/0824/30-minutes-of-exercise-does-the-trick-study-says.aspx?xid=aol_eh-genvid_5_20120827_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid7|maing5|dl35|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D197614

HERE IS THE PRINTED ARTICLE:

FRIDAY, August 24, 2012 — Want to work out for less time and see the same results?

Who wouldn't?

According to a new study published in the American Journal of Physiology, researchers at the University of Copenhagen prescribed exercise programs to 60 heavy but healthy men. Half exercised for an hour a day, while half exercised for 30 minutes. The men in the 30-minute group lost more weight and burned the same amount of fat over the 13-week study. Surprisingly, they even burned more calories than the researchers anticipated, demonstrating that 30 minutes of exercise was enough to lead to weight loss.

Researchers believe that the 30-minute group was inspired to work harder because the prescribed amount of exericse felt less daunting. Plus, less time at the gym gave them more time to rest and recuperate between sessions. In addition, researchers said they believe the men in the 60-minute group ate more — mistakenly counteracting the additional calories burned.

Researchers say their findings provide hope for moderately overweight people — a majority of the adult population — by making effective exercise seem more accessible. These findings also support the American Heart Association's exercise guidelines, which suggest at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise, or 30 minutes a day, five times a week. Numerous studies have shown that breaking up the 30-minute block into two or three 10- to 15-minute segments is just as effective for heart health.
How to Workout Smarter, Not Harder

Participants in this most recent study were not necessarily instructed to complete intervals during their prescribed exercise, only to vary the intensity of their workouts from day to day. Still, another recent study is the latest in a mountain of research to confirm that interval training, or cycling between periods of intense and more moderate exercise, is more effective for fat loss than sustained periods of endurance exercise.

In the study published in the International Journal of Obesity, men who completed eight-second sprints intermittently for 20 minutes three times a week for 12 weeks lost fat and gained muscle at a rate equal to seven hours of jogging a week for 14 weeks, researchers at the University of South Wales concluded. High-intensity interval training works because it constantly forces the muscles to adapt to new challenges and simulates the cellular pathways responsible for creating strength and endurance, a 2010 study at McMaster University found.

Replies

• heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I definitely feel like I work out harder when I have less time to spare.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Well that is terrific news! I always felt like I HAD to work out for 45 minutes or more in order to get any benefit. Now if I only have 30 minutes, I'll jump on that bike, and it'll be a breeze.

Thanks for the info!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    too long, didn't read.

If it's about weight/fat loss, then diet is the key, not exercise or duration.

If it's about cals burned, then intensity is the key.
  • DMZH78
    DMZH78 Posts: 42
    Options
    too long, didn't read.

I think it all depends on who you talk to :-) Bottom line is, everyone has to do what feels right for them.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    too long, didn't read.

I think it all depends on who you talk to :-) Bottom line is, everyone has to do what feels right for them.

No, not really. It's simple science. Calories consumed < calories burned leads to weight loss. Calories consumed > Calories burned leads to weight gain. It's not complex.
  • DMZH78
    DMZH78 Posts: 42
    Options
    too long, didn't read.

No, not really. It's simple science. Calories consumed < calories burned leads to weight loss. Calories consumed > Calories burned leads to weight gain. It's not complex.

Not sure who you saying no, not really too? (because you quoted two people) but my opinion based on what I was told (by doctors) is that if your calories you consume are < the calories you burn then that leads to weight loss.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is brand new information!