Just Starting and Could Use Support

Options
Hi all,

Well here I go again; another attempt at weight loss. This will be my last try otherwise I will be looking deeper into weight loss surgery. I have a lot of weight to loose, but the number of pounds doesn't bother me too much, I mostly wish to feel better.

I always begin well, but my willpower is zapped and what little motivation I have doesn't last long before I get beaten down again with stress and anxiety then continue packing on the pounds. In addition to work and life's other responsibilities, I have immediate family members that need daily medical attention, physical assistance, and emotional support. The past two years of stress have me hanging on by a thread. The past couple of months I have been struggling to put myself first and I'd like some weight loss to be part of that goal.

I realize that I haven't begun very well with introducing myself and I haven't joined an online group before. So to close on a more positive note, I'll share a few other things about myself. I live in Texas, but I am originally from Oklahoma! I've been a Duranie for 28+ years. I enjoy traveling, women's history, shopping, baking, and crochet. I have an aquatic turtle who is about 9 years old named Elvis.

I'd appreciate some support or even making new friends.:smile:

Tally

Replies

• Fatsotubs
    Fatsotubs Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Well done for making a start. I have just joined myself as a friend recommended it to me and if I don't do something soon I will become seriously big. I have a lot to lose too.

I live in Leeds, UK with my family. I work in a school and need to be thinner and fitter to run after the kiddies all day!

Good luck and I hope we are both successful with our weight loss.

:-)
  • roreca
    roreca Posts: 9
    Options
    Tally,

I used to live in Texas, around the Killeen area. Loved going to Austin and New Braunfels to the waterpark! Don't get down on yourself- remember to take it a day at a time. I just began on Thursday and love the food diary. It really makes me accountable for what I am eating. Try to go for healthy options- fruits are great if you are carving something sweet! You can add me as a friend!

Rebecca:wink:
  • gatorgal92
    Options
    Just a "beginner" myself (OK, so a dozen times over beginner...).

I live in the Orlando, FL area and could use all the support around!! Look forward to getting to know you guys.

Lisa
  • CassieLyle
    Options
    im a beginner myself but I am going to do this!! Were all here to support you!!! Add me!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    congrats on this fresh start, we all have to begin somewhere...welcome and feel free to add me...i can relate to stress...haha.
    good luck!!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your honesty very much. My motivation wanes minute to minute every day. My will power is non existent and I feel defeated before I even begin. I guess I just wanted to say that. Thank you for sharing.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Everyone and anyone can feel free to add me!
  • rustybago
    Options
    I'm new too, feel free to add me too.
  • Fat2FitProject
    Options
    Hi Tally,

This is my first online group also. I have also attempted to lose weight before and it worked! I lost 70 pounds but then I became unmotivated and grew back 20 pounds again. I am 214 pounds right now and hope to become at least 180 pounds. I've gone back to my routine exercises when I lost all my weight before and I made some videos of it too on YouTube if you would like to follow some of them. They are only 25 minute exercises =) As my username suggests, this is my Fat 2 Fit project, using many online tools to help motivate me. If you would like to visit my YouTube channel and follow my exercises you can do that too (my YouTube channel is www.youtube.com/fat2fitproject. Anyone can add me as friend if they would like. Let's stick together and not give up!

-Anthony
  • twinzmom903
    twinzmom903 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm in Texas as well, transplanted from Alabama (ROLL TIDE).

I'm a re,re,re,repeat offender myself when it comes to healthy living. Good job on making a plan to be "healthy". I'm doing this "ONE DAY AT A TIME". When 2pm hits... that's my trigger moments when I want to consume salty carbs, sweets, etc. I'm now journaling my feelings and blogging instead of going to the cafeteria at the hospital where I work; grabbing healthy carbs (apples, hummus, etc).

Great job on taking the steps needed!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I could use support and motivation as well! I will gladly give the motivation back!! :)

Welcome to anyone just starting, I've been on MFP for about 10 or so days! Also, a dozen times or so beginner. But hey, it's a fresh start right?! Anyone can feel free to add me!! :)
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi -

I'm a beginner for like the 30th time. I have a substantial amout to lose. Feel free to add me. I like you could use all the support I have available and like to give as much as I receive. The circle of life, no doubt. lol

I am 31, have about 80-100 to lose, I am a nursing student, work full-time and have a supportive other half "(verbally not food wise).
  • HeatherSanto
    HeatherSanto Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Starting out stinks. I'm losing weight and I help other people lose weight everyday. Lets all help motivate each other and show off our skinny selves!
  • AwaII
    AwaII Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, I have been in just that place.

Good luck and if you all have any questions you can feel free to ask me on here or on MFP.
  • nettieholford
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lynette, and am happy to be here. I have had a lot of trouble jounaling, so hopely this will help. need friends to encourage me along the way.

Thanks,
    Lynette:laugh:
  • 5434susie
    Options
    Also new to this (not to dieting tho) Feel really miserable about my weight and got a shock when I stood on the scales. Am hoping that today is the heaviest i will be, ever, and that little by little, the scales will read less. Good luck all. Let's dig deep and do this!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Tally, why would you consider surgery in lieu of diet and exercise? How can you not be motivated enough to follow a diet and exercise regimen, but have the strength and discipline required to go through the surgery process? First, all surgeries carry risk. It's major surgery to have your stomach banded or stapled. Second, after surgery isn't exactly a walk in the park either. It will take great discipline on your part to keep up with the numerous supplements you'll be needing and total torture to barely be able to eat more than two bites before filling your stomach. Furthermore, there's no guarantee of long term success. We've seen numerous celebrities (google Carnie Wilson) go the surgery route only to gain their weight back after the initial dramatic weight loss.

What you need is discipline in logging your intake. If you're paying attention to your numbers, you're chances of success are greatly increased. The smart phone app for this site is an invaluable tool for me. I can log on the go, and even look up items before ordering in a restaurant. If you're not big into exercise, simply walk. You said you enjoy shopping. Get up and go to the mall and walk around. You'd be surprised how many calories you'll burn without even realizing you're doing exercise.

Good luck to you. Hopefully this attempt at weight loss is the one that forever changes your life. Stay positive.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    Hi Tally :)

Im Tracy. Its my first time on this site and Ive been here a week today! Im originally from Pennsylvania but was transplanted to Central Florida in my late teens.

Ive always been big and have roughly 90lbs to lose. Im in it for the long haul and wont stop til ive reached my goal weight. With hard work, some friendly motifivation, you can do it too!. :happy:
  • Lionidle
    Lionidle Posts: 21
    Options
    There is a lot of support here and a lot of people who need it, myself included so i think i'll share with everyone including TallyF how i'm approaching this.

Firstly, i've recognized that i need to lose weight and i did this by writing down everything that my overweight-ness stops me from doing or enjoying and what i've had to adapt through my weight problems. I did this before i started looking at calories or foods or exercise. I feel this gave me the boost that everyone needs when starting something like this.

Simply ditching one food for another without proper reasoning has never worked for me and would always end as a failure.

So my list consisted of things like, having to pick a t-shirt that covers my stomach, sitting way back and in the middle of the couch as i may damage the arms, bad skins, out of breath, having sore legs, catching myself in the mirror, letter frm the doctor etc etc..

Secondly i'd make a list of the things that i'd be able to do once the weight start falling off. I have a bunch of t-shirts i bought whislt on holiday that are way to small for me so i'm looking forward to wearing them. I play guitar so i'm looking forward to having the guitar closer to me so i can play it better. I ride a motorbike and look huge on it when i see my reflection in car windows.

Then, i used myfitnesspal to simply record what i was eating on a usual day to day basis for 3 or 4 days (before changing diets) just to show myself what needs changed. I was eating around 4000 calories a day and have been for a few years. So, there was the proof right there that i needed to "alter" these eating habits.

So now i'm sticking to under 2000 calories without dieting, i'm simply eating smaller portions and varying my food choice.

I've also found that if i replace my lunch hour, (which is normally eating bad stuff while watching telly) with a 30 minute cycle round town (averaging 10mph - not fast at all) i can get the fresh air, exercise and (if i wanted to) bonus 600 calories approx.

So now that i know i can do this I've set myself targets and goals which are basically using myfitness pal to keep under 2000 calories regardless of what i eat (you'll soon realize that bad foods can be substituted for good foods that actaully fill you up more whilst drastically lowering calorie intake) and keep with my lunch break cycle but eventually add another mile here and there or beat my previous time. I never go over 30 minutes and i think that's achievable by everyone.

I'll no doubt have days where i can't be bothered. Thats human nature. The key is to not fret about it and get back as soon as you can.

Anyways, i have probably gone on long enough! I'd say good luck but it's not luck, it's a "I WILL DO THIS" attitude.

Feel free to add me, i've made my food diary and exercise visible to friends.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Also new to this (not to dieting tho) Feel really miserable about my weight and got a shock when I stood on the scales. Am hoping that today is the heaviest i will be, ever, and that little by little, the scales will read less. Good luck all. Let's dig deep and do this!

You sound like me. I've lost weight to get down to the weight I used to consider too heavy. This site (especially the mobile app) is really helping me. I did Weight Watchers ten years ago, and did pretty good on it. The problem was the tracking was cumbersome. Back then, all you could do was measure points using a cardboard scale and you had to carry a journal. That simply got old and cumbersome. Using the mobile app for this site is awesome. I immediately log everything and can immediately see how it impacts my day. I also like that it tracks fitness and nutrition, not just calories. I've found my diet to be deficient in potassium and too high in sodium. Thanks to this tracker, I've corrected both.