Whole 30 for Sept.

Options
jconnon
jconnon Posts: 427 Member
I am going to give Whole 30 a go for September (actually Sept 4th start). Is anyone else thinking of trying Whole 30 for September?

Would love to do this with a few more people for a little support and a few food ideas.

Replies

• corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started today. My mood has been all over the place today. Started out pretty irritated since I did not have my regular sweet and low latte. I didn't realize how addicted I am to the whole coffee ritual. Life didn't seem complete without my trusty white paper cup in hand during my morning commute. I did, in fact, survive without it and was feeling great by lunchtime.

I took a lot of time this past weekend to meal plan and prepare several meals in advance for the work week so I don't have any excuse to not have the proper foods. The rest of my family is not on board, but they'll eat what I make along with a baked potato or a grain.

I'm still working on the book and staying off of the scale will be a challenge for me! I agree some support would be great!
  • JJPAL1
    JJPAL1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What is the Whole 30?
  • jconnon
    Options
    What is the Whole 30?

The details can be found here.

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

It is a clean eating plan for 30 days......or hopefully longer.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    whats whole 30???

oops forget it lol just read the post above me lol
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Wow this seems such a hard eating plan to me. Literally everything you cannot have, I enjoy. You have to leave out more food than you can eat and it makes me wonder what's left? What kind of meals do yo plan to have on this eating plan?
  • jconnon
    Options
    Wow this seems such a hard eating plan to me. Literally everything you cannot have, I enjoy. You have to leave out more food than you can eat and it makes me wonder what's left? What kind of meals do yo plan to have on this eating plan?

Its not easy but I think prep is key. I still need to find some recipes but for the most part I will eat a lot of veggies and meats grilled.
    I went to the store last night trying to find a few things besides fresh meats and vegetables and it is hard to find stuff without crap in it, especially sugar. I think I may need to make a few trips to Whole Foods. No beer will be the only thing that bothers me to give up.
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to start, as my diet is similar to the program anyhow with two exceptions that are deterring me - my skim lattes and greek yogurt...
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You should go to the Primal/Paleo Support group, there are a few of us starting the Whole 30 in Sept:)
  • polarcubby
    Options
    I plan to start September 4 as well. would have started this week but I have a bbq with friends over the weekend and I'm not ready to fight that kind of temptation.
  • jconnon
    Options
    I plan to start September 4 as well. would have started this week but I have a bbq with friends over the weekend and I'm not ready to fight that kind of temptation.

My weekend will be ugly but I will ready come Tuesday.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This topic struck my interest and I went to the site to check it out - wow, sounds very difficult even for 30 days!
    I was surprised to see that you can't eat legumes in this regiment, they are so healthy for you! I obviously have my disagreements on some of this stuff, but let us know how it ends up working for you!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It sounds like atkins or low carb plan. I did that once and when I stopped eating that way I gained back twice as much as I lost and had cellulite for the first time ever. I doesn't sound like this would be any better.
  • Joethebull
    Options
    Started this after midnight since I work graveyard shift. Not going to be easy since my family just bought oreos.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    To all who say it's to hard and you will gain it all back when you go back to eating the way you normally do:

The point of this exercise it to clean you out from all the crap you presently eat and allow your body to heal. At the end of it, you slowly add back some of those foods that you cut out and you will be able to tell if they were actually causing you problems you may have been unaware of. Ideally, you never go back to the way you were eating before. You don't NEED any of the stuff you remove from your diet anyway.

I am joining the Whole 30 starting today, as I need to kick my dairy dependence. The rest is old hat for me.
  • wowserblue
    wowserblue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started Whole 30 about a week ago. It looks to me like a really healthy way of eating, especially since I'm supposed to avoid gluten anyway. I also have some health issues that I'm hoping this will help, fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's. Day 5 I felt great!! But I had been preparing all my food at home and went out to eat that afternoon, ate beef fajita meat and guacomole, felt terrible the next day. So I wonder what they put in the food, and if it was a reaction to something, or just a bad day (really TIRED). I understand everyone has ups and downs of energy in the beginning. My intention is to eat gluten free for the rest of my life, not sure about dairy and sugar. :wink:
    Anyway, this is a difficult diet in some ways, I'm having to prepare lots more food at home and think about what I'm going to eat, but I think the effort will be worth it in trms of health benefits.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have an out of the country trip planned for Oct 6th. I have been wanting to try this for some time, and I think when I get back, I am gonna give it a go!! So, I will be watching this!:)
  • jconnon
    Options
    Its defiantly more difficult to find foods that fit, especially no sugar. Its in everything.
  • beckie32536
    beckie32536 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree that the worst part is having to read the labels on absolutely everything. Who knew that there was sugar in worcestershire sauce!! I'm wrapping up Day 7 of my 2nd attempt (got to day 16 in August and had a few slips due to moving so I decided to have a re-do in September).

I have found some great websites with amazing recipes so that has also helped. But as others have said, preparation is key. I have to have easy to grab Whole 30-friendly snacks on hand for emergencies plus I haven't allowed myself to buy anything bad at the store so there's very little to provide temptations.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    X.X that would be hard but worth it I am sure
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    That sounds an awful lot like a food intolerance test diet...