Should I run again this evening?

Options
Afternoon all,
I did Wk1D1 of C25k yesterday, and am really aching today. I was planning on doing the run again this evening, but should I run when my legs ache this much?
Thanks,
Helen.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I would wait until tomorrow. The first couple of weeks will be tough as previously sedentary body parts are made to work for the first time in a while. After a couple of weeks you will be in a better position to run two days in a row.
  • mormadu1
    mormadu1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am not doing C25K, but am walking/running up to 5 times a week for 45+ minutes a day. Last week I put the questions up on my facebook page whether I should exercise, after days of exercise and my legs were beat; a friend responded with this: "the answer is ALWAYS exercise unless you are injured! You will regret not working out but you will never regret working out". So I did and I felt so proud of myself that I did. Exercise, but don't over exert yourself. Although I did go out, it wasn't pretty. It was the worst time I've done since I started (a month ago), but I was proud of myself for fighting through. Do it!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    am really aching today. I was planning on doing the run again this evening, but should I run when my legs ache this much?

The general rule of thumb is not to work the same body part in the same way two days in a row. You keep those muscles and supporting tissues from being able to heal completely - which can lead to overuse injuries.

So, if you want to exercise, do something different - yoga, stretching, aerobics, weight lifting, etc., but you are encouraged not to run again until 48 hours have passed.

Eventually, you will be able to do exercises back to back, but your body must adapt first, and that adaption period is different for everyone. I think mine was a couple months before I felt like running two days in a row. When I woke up the day after a long run, and my legs did not ache, that was the day I said, "Hm, let me run two days in a row and see how I feel."
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Because it's a weekly running program, I'd recommend at least one day off in between workouts.

BTW I'm on week 7 and still love it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The c25k program was designed to only be done 3 days a week, with days off in between runs. Especially if you're really sore, I would wait at least a day before doing the next run. I completed the program in March, and even now, I only run 3 days a week, and usually feel great and have my best runs when I've taken a couple of days off between runs.
  • ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you are following C25K it specifically tells you to run 3x a week and take a day off in between to keep you from overdoing as you learn to run and your body gets used to it. It is important to follow this guideline if you're a new runner. I agree with the other poster, do a different form of exercise instead then run again after a day's rest.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of protein and rest those legs...run tomorrow!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is not to work the same body part in the same way two days in a row. You keep those muscles and supporting tissues from being able to heal completely - which can lead to overuse injuries.

This doesn't apply to running. Experienced runners run nearly every day, sometimes twice a day. The running muscles can recover quickly, even during a slower "recovery run".

For the OP, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't or don't need to take a rest day, because you do when you are starting out.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    C25K is 3 days a week. Take a rest or do some strength training.
  • michmill98
    Options
    I agree with the others - C25K is designed as a 3x a week activity. I found that going for a moderate walk on my off days (3 - 3.5 mph) helped with the sore legs from the day before. I've also done stuff as simple as arm curls with weights while sitting on the couch watching tv or just basic stretching if I thought I "had" to do something. I know it's hard to take a day off when you're all excited about starting out on a new thing.

Also, an epsom salt soak in the tub will help with the muscle soreness.
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm going to see how I feel very first thing tomorrow morning and maybe go then.
    H.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    You might also try soaking in either an epsom salt bath or add a couple of cups of apple cider vinegar to a hot bath. Both help soothe sore muscles.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Don't push it!! You don't want shin splints. They SUCK!!! I suggest a nice walk.

Good job BTW!!
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    when i did c25k, i only ran three times a week. i would rest up and go tomorrow. maybe do some stretching or yoga tonight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you just started, you might need more recovery time then usual. i think i needed like, three days after my first run.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    For new runners, do NOT exercise two days in a row. I thought I could handle it after 2 months and ran three days in a row and I ended up injuring myself and being unable to run for a week...and then injured myself on my bike the first day I was feeling okay and that put me out for another 2 weeks. Now I have to practically start over. I was easily running over 3 miles and pushing towards 4 and now I can barely do 1.5.
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Take a walk.
  • thorpy6
    thorpy6 Posts: 48
    Options
    Don't push it!! You don't want shin splints. They SUCK!!! I suggest a nice walk.

Good job BTW!!

best idea yet, a walk will loosen up the muscles and you are still burning calories.

well done
  • Biglobofan
    Options
    You should do something. Just don't over do it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "the answer is ALWAYS exercise unless you are injured! You will regret not working out but you will never regret working out".

I completely disagree, and I regret that one last run I did when I came home limping with a stress fracture. I didn't feel injured up to that point, just a little sore, but I pushed past it... and ended up sidelined for two months.

REST is just as important as exercise. C25K is supposed to be three days a week. Do it as scheduled. If you want to exercise, do something low impact like walking or biking, or better yet, do some strength training.