Hurricane Isaac is coming....

Options
JayTee146
JayTee146 Posts: 218 Member
We're actually expecting the hurricane to make land fall on the coast area where I'm from either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm ready but nervous because this go around I have an 11 month old.... I'm sitting at work checking my list of items and I guess I"ll go fill up my car.

When Hurrican Katrinia Came My mother, brother, and myself were without power for 2 weeks.. hopefully it won't be that bad :(

Anyone else affected by the hurricane?

Replies

• NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Prayers to you and your area.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Not this one no. However my mother and I lost our home and all our possessions in Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

You need to evacuate. If you are in an area that is expecting any kind of serious effect from it you need to evacuate.
  • BandForAlyAnne
    BandForAlyAnne Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i was hit by ike pretty bad. i dont think issac is going to be too terrible. hopefully not anyways. but my sister is pissed. she booked a trip to new orleans for this weekend. it sucks for her, but i am less worried about her vacation and more worried about people that actually live in the low area there.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Prayers go out to you and your family
  • horsepullerlovesme
    horsepullerlovesme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i will keep u in our prayers!!!!! hope u and ur fam will b safe! :wink:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm in Florida and they expected it to hit us initially.. we had a lot of nasty storms and tornadoes yesterday from JUST the outskirts of the storm. Be careful and evacuate if you can!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Please keep us informed. Keeping you in my prayers.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm in Mobile, waiting for it to get worse!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Oh dear God!We in Ireland complain about the rain but never see anything like that,I hope everyone will be alright,my prayers are with you all!
  • Alford96
    Alford96 Posts: 70
    Options
    yeah, we're in the Baton Rouge area so we are preparing now. tying everything down, taking care of the animals. etc... I'm not expecting it to be too bad, kind of like the storm we had the year before Katrina (I think it was Ike??) but you never know. Prayers to everyone in the affected areas!
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    If it isn't too late I would feel better if you and the baby got out of town for a fews days. The wind isn't going to be as bad as Katrina but since a good portion of NO is at or below sea level the storm surge and the amount of rain will be big issues. Especially if you are in the northeast quadrant of the storm. I lived in Marrero when Hurricane Babe came through back around 1977 or so. Got a lot of water. Hope all is well for you.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am in Mobile.. I don't think it's going to be any worse than our regular afternoon thunderstorms.. to look at the radar it's not really that bad. It's still hasn't been upgraded to a hurricane.. I am just bored at work because everyone closed down.. it's not even raining..
  • bellesouth18
    Options
    I am in Mobile.. I don't think it's going to be any worse than our regular afternoon thunderstorms.. to look at the radar it's not really that bad. It's still hasn't been upgraded to a hurricane.. I am just bored at work because everyone closed down.. it's not even raining..

Me, too! I really hope it's a dud.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    Even the edge of the storm was producing multiple tornadoes here yesterday off of very TINY cells that were coming through. They were extremely intense. Don't take it too lightly even though it's not a higher category storm.
  • bellesouth18
    Options
    Even the edge of the storm was producing multiple tornadoes here yesterday off of very TINY cells that were coming through. They were extremely intense. Don't take it too lightly even though it's not a higher category storm.

I'm not. I've been through too many to take it lightly. Each is different.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Definitely. Here in Florida everybody seems to think we're immune to large storm systems since every single one always "comes right at us" and dodges us last minute. If we ever got hit by something we would be hit HARD since nobody takes them seriously and just throws hurricane parties and goes surfing.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Prayers go out to you and your family. Hope you stay safe.
    Luckyly no Hurricane area in Sweden where I live.
  • bellesouth18
    Options

Definitely. Here in Florida everybody seems to think we're immune to large storm systems since every single one always "comes right at us" and dodges us last minute. If we ever got hit by something we would be hit HARD since nobody takes them seriously and just throws hurricane parties and goes surfing.

I remember when Camille hit Biloxi, Mississippi, in 1969. It woke up lots of people, but not enough. When Hurricane Frederick hit Mobile in 1979, it was one humongous wake up call to my area. It just about destroyed this whole city.
  • bellesouth18
    Options
    Prayers go out to you and your family. Hope you stay safe.
    Luckyly no Hurricane area in Sweden where I live.

Lots of snow! I would act like a total fool, playing in the snow for hours on end. My inner child would take over. haha It snows here once in a blue moon and I go play in it every time. :o)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Whats wrong with a hurricane party? You can be smart and have a hurricane party!!
    We have PLENTY of time to prepare for these storms - its not like they form right on top of us!! We started to clean up, gas up, stock up on Wed and Thurs. By Sat we were ready to have friends over - cards and rum make for an awesome time waiting for the storm to come through.

The thing is - people often wait until the very last moment. NOAA is really good at their job and has done great job at predicting where the storm will hit and the intensity.

I'd rather deal with Hurricanes any day of the week over earthquakes, blizzards, tornados, wild fires!!!