I need some help!

Options
I have come back to myfitnesspal again and log my food at least 5 days a week. I have DJD left hip and have restrictions at work. I go to PT twice a week, and do the exercises at home at least twice more. I am in constant pain, and on pain meds daily. I know I need surgery and my doctor does also but he wants me to lose weight before. Will I be able to lose with little or no exercise?:sad:

Replies

• AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight by just changing what you eat,It will be harder and take longer but you can do it.Have you tried going to a chiropractor to ease some of your pain?
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do very little cardio. It's the diet.
  • jkelly1954
    jkelly1954 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    No, I havent. My left hip is bone on bone. You think a chiropractor could help?:smile:
  • GuardiansChild
    Options
    I think you can lose weight with little to no exercise as long as you stick to the calorie limits MFP gives you. It might take a bit longer than it would if you exercised regularly, but you'll get there eventually. :) I only work out twice a week and make sure that I don't go above my calorie limit, and I've already lost a few pounds.
  • everr
    everr Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I thing that link can answer to some of your questions, about wich is best: diet or exercising?

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/exercise-and-diet
  • Jmariemiller
    Jmariemiller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try looking up the "Sit and be Fit" program. It's gear towards Seniors and people with limited mobility and it may help you since your hip hurts you so bad. Every exercise is done in a chair.

Also, you'll have to change your diet and make sure you only eat really really healthy. Good luck, losing weight is hard work!! :)
  • escape4asecond
    Options
    Absolutely! It is totally possible. Your body is burning calories day and night and as long as you don't eat more than you burn, you will eventually lose pounds. Don't forget to drink lots of water to help your keep your organs in good working condition. BTW, your therapy is actually exercise, standing is exercise, walking is exercise, even showering is exercise. Every bit of extra movement you do during the day ups your calorie burn. (yes, even toe tapping, clapping, and finger drumming). Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey and upcoming surgery.
  • justbeingbetty
    Options
    I know how hard it is to lose weight when you are in pain; I have an immunological disorder that restricts my movement due to pain/fatigue. More importantly, my husband (who is 40) had avascular necrosis in both hips and had those both replaced last year. If you have questions about the procedure, I am pretty knowledgeable.
  • jkelly1954
    Options
    I am 57 and at least 75- 100 pounds overweight. Was his recovery short? I feel if I wasnt in pain I could walk for exercise. Isnt it ironic that when I could've walked for exercise I didnt, and now that I can't I wish I could.:sad:
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    when I first lost weight I did not excersise at all...I was very strict with my diet and lost like 17 lbs in about 6 weeks....so depending on how much u modify your diet it really wont take any longer unless your food choices or not too great....when I lost the 17 lbs in 6 weeks I was eating home prepared salads at least once a day so it was lots of veggies and grilled or baked meat. Lots of yogurt and apples everyday...other fruits as well. Water, Diet green tea, and crystal light. I would make lower calorie versions of my favorite things....like tuna salad with plain yogurt or lite balsamic vinegarette instead of mayo and eat it with veggies or just a few crackers or one slice of bread instead of 2. I would eat peanut butter toast on sugar free whole grain bread but it wouldnt be 2 tbps no way it was a VERY THIN layer. All I am sayin is that it can be done....modify your diet and the weight will come off...you will be able to exercise eventually so just be paitient for that....
  • jkelly1954
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement!:bigsmile: