Off to University. Need some cheap, healthy & tasty recipes!

Options
I have some basic culinary skills, and quite enjoy cooking, but I as I will be living independently for the first time in my life, I really have no idea what sorts of meals, breakfasts, snacks etc I can make that are healthy and won't break the bank.

A lot of you may be thinking "Why don't you just eat what you normally eat at home?" Well, I eat rubbish at home and our meals normally consist of just frozen food thrown in the oven, which is why I turn to MFP. Is anyone willing to share any sort of meal ideas/recipes etc with me or help create a meal plan for a 1500-1600 calorie diet? I have just under a month left until I leave, and I for one want to be prepared! Thank you!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Replies

• theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    if you want cheap and cheerful, buy a big bag of dried pasta and some cans of tomatoes, you can make up easy tomato sauces for pasta (low in cals, high in taste) just by varying the extra veg/meats you add to it.
    I used to make huge pots of veg soup as a student, and it would last me all week if i froze portions after i made it... I don't think I've ever used a proper recipe for soup - just add all your veg to a big pan, cover with veg stock and a bit of extra water put the lid on, and simmer til the veggies are cooked. blitz it up with a stick blender and enjoy!
    print out any recipes you like the sound of and make yourself a scrap book, I've still got my folder from my student days with all the recipes i've collected in, plus a few home basics that my mum wrote out for me when she packed me off to scotland for Uni!