About The Stomach...

Options
I'm a bit worried about my stomach and how much has been lost from it, so I was wondering for some help.

I started at 206 pounds, and have now dropped to 160. My worry is that my stomach (to me anyway) looks almost the same as it did when I started. I can notice my arms, my legs (a little) and my face has lost weight, but my stomach not so much. As I say, I'm at 160 (11 stone 6 pounds) and my goal is 146 pounds (10 stone 6 pounds) which is another 14 pounds to lose. I'm worried that my stomach just isn't going down, and won't. Anyone else had this, but then it started to come off on the last leg? Or am I simply doing something wrong? Cheers.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Most people have a "trouble spot" (or two) that the weight is going to come off of last. It's typically where we'll show weight gain first, and it's typically the first weight on is the last weight off, in that respect. For me, I lost in my arms first, then my face/above the waist/torso start thinning out, then my stomach started going down and then my thighs/hips/*kitten* finally started showing some improvement.

But if I stop watching what I eat for awhile, or even just have a temporary weight gain from a vacation, it's immediately in my thighs/hips and not the rest of my body. My pants will suddenly feel like sausage casings on my thighs while still fitting around my waist and my shirts all fit just the same.

So your stomach is probably that spot for you. So just stick with it, you're doing an awesome job so far, and eventually you'll start to see it coming off from there too. You can't spot reduce, but it will eventually happen. :)
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are claims that you lose in reverse of how you gained. So with that logic, if you started gaining in your mid section(as most do) first and then limbs later, you'd lose in the limbs first and mid section later. I tend to think that you just have more fat stored there so it will take longer to notice than the smaller amount in your arms and legs.
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping it was just a case of it coming off at the end. Much appreciated. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I call this the awkward phase. Where you lose in some areas but not others. With that stated, it's all about overall fat loss. The best way to improve fat loss is weight training. Something to do if you don't already. WT also prevents muscle loss which will "fill out" your skin so you aren't skinny and flabby. Overtime everything will tighten up though.
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    I am almost in exactly the same boat as you. Started at 217, down to 166 now. Even though I know my gut has shrunk a bit, in my mind when I look in the mirror, to me, I still look fat. Well, 16lbs to go for me now so hopefully the gut will go when the weight goes or at least shrink a lot.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit worried about my stomach and how much has been lost from it, so I was wondering for some help.

I started at 206 pounds, and have now dropped to 160. My worry is that my stomach (to me anyway) looks almost the same as it did when I started. I can notice my arms, my legs (a little) and my face has lost weight, but my stomach not so much. As I say, I'm at 160 (11 stone 6 pounds) and my goal is 146 pounds (10 stone 6 pounds) which is another 14 pounds to lose. I'm worried that my stomach just isn't going down, and won't. Anyone else had this, but then it started to come off on the last leg? Or am I simply doing something wrong? Cheers.

My trouble spot is my stomach too. The fat on my face melted away asap. My stomach fat has been around forever. It varies almost just as much as my weight on the scale. If I'm close to 165 my stomach will look flat and tone, if I hit up to 170 I'll notice some pudge, but nothing else on my body looks different. I can pretty much guess my weight just by looking at my tummy
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Hoping it resolves itself with the last 25ish pounds. ;c)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I suggest a small caloric deficit (a weekly loss goal of 0.5lbs/week) eat adequate protein and lift heavy. These 3 together will ensure that the majority of your loss will be from fat and not lean muscle. Doing this will help target fat loss, not just weight loss.

Too large a deficit, not enough protein, or not doing a strength training program together or on their own can lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, instead of fat.
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 pounds and still have a balloon around the middle!!! I just have another 10 to go to my goal weight of 165. I have chalked it up to genetics! My mother and sister also have fat around the middle and my mom is a little lady. Two babies and two abdominal surgies during the years have taken it's toll, and I am not sure that it will ever be any different for me. The muscles are gone and evertyhing heads south at my age! I am 57 and 5'11" tall. Gym workouts and toning helps some....but the flab remains!
  • drsdghtr
    drsdghtr Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same problem. Make sure you are taking your measurements. You might be suprised what you find. Be sure you don't "hold it in" and take the measurement at your "natural" waist line. If it werent for the inches I can measure for loss I feel that when I look at my stomach it hasn't gone anywhere. Taking measurements has helped me a lot. Good luck!:wink:
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I'm 2 lbs from my goal weight and I still feel like my tummy is too big although I have lost quite a few inches.

I've lost a lot from my legs and I'm worried they're now too skinny :embarassed:

I can't afford a gym membership so would appreciate any advice here. :ohwell:
  • aquariumche
    aquariumche Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself. Using subjective progress indicator (mirror) is fine but an objective one (tape measure) will shred doubt.
    You lost a nice percentage of your weight, so you definitely have a progress in your problem areas too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how tall you are to want to be 10 stone 6?
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I had 2 kids (No C-sections) gained 60 lbs with first and 75 lbs with second. I worked it out with swimming and heavy core exercises. I did at least 100 leg raises on captain's chair a day, crunches and Pilates. I limited carbs and sugars, ate lean protein and veggies. Drink a lot of water. Hope this helps. This worked for me. -Ava
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and no one has control over where the fat drops off. For me the stomach, legs and pelvic area was the last to go. Just make sure you are doing some sort of weight training at least 3 days a week to build lean body mass (cardio won't do this but you need cardio too), eat less to lose fat, and the rest will fall into place. If ever in doubt have a hydrostatic body composition test or a DXA is even better. DXA will give you the true picture.
  • kylemdodge
    Options
    You may need to look at your carbs. Carbs can cause the body to create high insulin levels. High insulin levels in your bloodstream causes your body to retain more sodium, author and assistant professor at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Joe Graedon explains on his website, The People's Pharmacy. When you retain sodium, your kidneys also retain more fluid. Your tissues become swollen and you develop edema. The swelling can push out your stomach making you seem fatter when you are really just swollen.
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Of-course. I'm 5 ft 10.