GRE test - Graduate school

Options
mstifb
mstifb Posts: 230
I just got my results back from the GRE. I was good in my writing, ok in the verbal section, but not so hot in the math section. :embarassed: I got a 153 verbal, 143 analytical, and 5.0 on writing. My GPA for my undergraduate degree was 3.06. I know it will depend on each graduate school and their requirements, but anyone else get something similiar and is now in graduate school? I'm hoping to get into the Master of Social Work program next fall and really hope I don't have to take this test again! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• maxnsc
    maxnsc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you summed it up best.. it all depends on the school's requirements. I forget exactly what my scores were when I went through my grad programs. I seem to remember blowing the math section of it, but I can honestly say that I have never had to figure the area of a cone or any of that other nonsense. I had no problems getting enrolled based on that.. just remember they look at GRE scores and you also have to undergo the interview process for most of them. Present as well rounded and level headed and you should do just fine!!

Good luck with the future studies!!!
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think the test scoring must have changed. When I did it each section was out of 800. So I got 800/800 on the math section 380/800 on the verbal and a 3.5/5 on the writing. I got in the San Diego State University for the math program. Hope this helps.
  • bstall1976
    bstall1976 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not all schools use the GRE. For my Masters in School Counseling at Xavier University I had to take the Miller Analogies test . I just graduated in May and took the test about 4 years ago and do not remember my scores. Good luck with Grad School. It is a lot of work but well worth it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think the test scoring must have changed. When I did it each section was out of 800. So I got 800/800 on the math section 380/800 on the verbal and a 3.5/5 on the writing. I got in the San Diego State University for the math program. Hope this helps.

Yeah, my scores were out of 800 too. I go to an engineering school so they didn't care about the verbal (which wasn't great).

You can always take it again. Practice the math.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my GPA in undergrad was 2.5 and i thought for sure i'd need to take the GRE for the masters program i wanted. NOPE!!!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I took my GRE, and didn't do so well...somewhere around 560/800. I got into my MA program in Psychology. MSW was my other option. I think the programs are relatively easy to get into. You just need to write a really good cover letter, and explain how passionate you are about the career. Also, volunteer experience helps!

Edit* I did have a 3.95 undergrad GPA. I don't know how much that was weighted.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I used to teach GRE and GMAT. My advice would be to look at the programs that you're interested in, look at their requirements and see how you stack up against those you are competing with for a spot in your program of choice.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I used to teach GRE and GMAT. My advice would be to look at the programs that you're interested in, look at their requirements and see how you stack up against those you are competing with for a spot in your program of choice.

Also, under the new scoring your 143 on math is not awful. It's pretty average actually :smile:
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    As a college professor at a doctoral granting institution, I can tell you that the GRE is more of an "excuse" not to accept someone. Everyone knows it isn't a true measure of a person's intelligence. So, yes, you can score horribly low and still get into graduate school as long as you have a good GPA, clear goals for your degree/career in your letter of intent, and references who will write letters making it a point to say that your GRE does not reflect your academic promise. Most schools have a baseline of 1,000 so if you dont meet it and don't have what I mentioned above, they can justify not accepting you.

For the record, I scored a 990 on mine and got a PhD. Many of my grad school cohort scored below 500 and got theirs. :)
  • mstifb
    Options

Also, under the new scoring your 143 on math is not awful. It's pretty average actually :smile:

Thanks everyone! It's been over 15 years since I had math so I was completely overwhelmed on that test!
  • mstifb
    Options

800/800 - WOW! That's amazing! Yes the highest score on each section is 200 now and I didn't see a composite score.