too much protein??

Options
I love how MFP tells you how much fat, carbs, and protein you have eaten throughout the day and how much you still lack/went over. My problem is that even though I am usually under my calories for the day, I am ALWAYS over my protein! It is a problem because I know I need to eat more, but there isn't anything you can really eat (besides fruit and veggies, which I get plenty of but am not always craving at the end of the day) that doesn't have protein in it. So I just end up eating nothing.

My question is, is it really so bad to eat too much protein? I used to do south beach and of course on that diet you eat tons of lean proteins, so that is what I'm used to. I love chicken breast, ground turkey, and eggs and find that when incorporated into my meals they keep me from being hungry all the time, but they spike my protein way up. Does anybody else have this problem, and do you guys think it's really that big of a deal to eat too much lean proteins? Thanks!

Replies

• bvanam
    bvanam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue with protein and I have done South Beach, as well, which changes your eating habits. I tend to avoid carbs because most are higher in calories and sugar, especially now that I am tracking my input. I personally think it is okay that our protein is high as long as we are getting it from lean protein. I am more concerned with keeping my fat and sugar intake in control, rather than worry too much about the amount of protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Most people find that MFP sets protein levels too low by default. You can go into home goals, click change goals, select custom, and chagne the % carbs, fat and protein to your desired level. You can try increasing protein by 5% and decreasing carbs by the 5% to see how that works for you. All in all it is calories in vs calories out the dictate weight loss, not necessarily where the cals come from.
  • theraymiles
    Options
    Don't worry about it, I'm sure you aren't that much over.

When you eat too much protein, on of thress things can happen.

1. It can be converted into sugar for your body to use as energy (this usually only happens if you're not eating enough carbs)

2. The protein will be stored as fat (won't happen if you are at a caloric deficit)

3. It's converted to nitrogen and you pee it out (most common case)

The only time it's "too much protein" is when you are taking a protein supplement and not using it, because then it is just a waste of money!

Hope this helps!
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah... what Ray Said! :)

Too much protein in food will not make you bulk up or gain weight as long as your calories are in check.... as a matter of fact, protein is proven to help you stay fuller longer and you most likely will digest it naturally! :)
  • AMarie471
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys, that's what I like to hear! I love my lean proteins :)
  • megn007
    Options
    Yes, thanks everyone for the posts because I had the same fear too- am I not going to lose weight because I have too much protein even though I usually end the day with calories to spare? I'm going to go eat a yogurt :smile:
  • MommaByble
    MommaByble Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I too added a yogurt to my day after reading that... figured it was a good solution to my night time sweet tooth. :)