Alternative for heavier weights?

Options
I've gotten into strength training 2 - 3 times per week and for actual lifting, and certain exercises, I'm using 2 10-pound weights. I can go up to 50 reps at a time with these weights so I think it's time to go heavier, since I want to get stronger. I can't afford any heavier weights, however. I do have a pair of 5 pound ankle weights. Could I wear those on my arms/wrists for some added weight instead of getting heavier weights?

Replies

• Voca_Star
    Voca_Star Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump~
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You are going to need more than 5 pounds if you can do 50 reps.... A purse weighs about 5 pounds, time to actually challenge yourself.

Also you shouldn't even be lifting past 15 reps, find something heavy that only allows you 6 - 12 reps, if you can do more reps you need more weight.
  • dmg4867
    dmg4867 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're working out at home and can't afford to buy heavier weights, there's a couple ways you can go, depending on what you're trying to do.

A: lurk on craigslist until you find someone selling weights for really cheap - it happens fairly frequently.
    B: Use your bodyweight to strength train, or if that is too easy for you:
    C: Use household items (A backpack full of books, a really small friend, etc.) to make squats, pushups, pullups, or planks more difficult.
    D: Join a gym =[
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It sounds like simply working towards doing good 'ol fashioned pushups and pullups will be lifting heavy for you.

Learn to do single leg squats (pistol squats) for your legs.
    http://www.beastskills.com/one-legged-squat-the-pistol/

Once pushups get to easy, you can do dips using chairs, and work toward 1 arm pushups (yes it is possible for females to do them).

Pullups should provide plenty of resistance for a while, but if they get too easy learn to do the front lever and lever rows. I've never heard of a female strong enough to do a full front lever, though for sure on the easier varients.
  • Voca_Star
    Voca_Star Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I do challenge myself. I understand I shouldn't be going past 15 reps. The reason I want heavier weights is BECAUSE I can do more than 15 so easily.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to hold heavy things than to strap them on to wrists or ankles, especially. Could make for weird movements.

For cheap weight, you could go to Home Depot and get sand or salt, and throw it into a duffel bag.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5758596_homemade-sandbags.html
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Options:

1. Look up bodyweight exercises that are more challenging. Pistol Squats, Pushups, Pullups, etc. may work for you.

2. Find a way to access more weight. Find a cheap gym or look on Craigslist for cheap weight sets.

The key is to keep increasing the intensity over time. In strength training intensity is either the weight you're lifting or a more challenging exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Get creative... gallon jugs of water, fill bags/purses with soup cans, etc etc. Also, learn to use your body weight for resistance.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Options:

1. Look up bodyweight exercises that are more challenging. Pistol Squats, Pushups, Pullups, etc. may work for you.

2. Find a way to access more weight. Find a cheap gym or look on Craigslist for cheap weight sets.

The key is to keep increasing the intensity over time. In strength training intensity is either the weight you're lifting or a more challenging exercise.

This, this, and some more of this!