Water weight...?

Options
So in April I started counting my calories and exercising, and things were going awesome. I made it down to 202.3lbs when my dad was admitted to the hospital. Between driving up to 5 or 6 hours daily and living on fastfood and 4 hours of sleep I weighed in at the start of August at 209.9lbs. But I'm determined this time around and with my dad's situation under control, and the rest of my life looking pretty awesome I've been working out every day, counting my calories, etc. I weighed in at 208lbs exactly at the end of my first week, and my goal was to hit 207 by the end of august. Yesterday my scale jumped from 203.4-204.5 and I decided to settle on the higher number. Lastnight I went to a friends birthday and ended up vomiting from drinking too much, something that I don't usually do. I weighed myself this morning to see if I had retained water or whatever and I weighed in a 200.3lbs. I moved my scale around. I put it in my boyfriends office, in our bedroom, in the kitchen and each and every time it read the same thing. 200.3lbs.

Is it possible that the 9.6lbs was water weight? or some of it was water weight? I started back on MFP on August 12, that's why I'm all WTF about this haha.

Replies

• heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and I'm 6'0", 23 years old and I run or bike or both every day and try to aim for one long distance ride a week, Sunday I rode with my boyfriend to Lakefield and back, which was 33km.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    anyone?
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It was probably mostly water weight. You are almost in Onederland :-)
  • eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you are severely dehydrated from drinking that much alcohol.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Very possible. I'll fluctuate from 155 to 162ish in a day if I'm eating like crap(high sodium) or drinking. My advice is to settle on one day a week to count as your weigh in day. I weigh everyday and there are times I wake up and weigh 153 and the next day I'll weigh 158 so I actually log only my Wednesdays. And continue to use the same scale to monitor your loss. Even if it's not spot on, you have something to start with and accurately track your progress. You will go bat **** crazy and possibly lose motivation if you log every fluctuation imo.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Alcohol makes you dehydrated. Try only weighing once a week and not the morning after the night before :smile:

Also try not to over exercise. Take a rest day once a week at the very least
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    Maybe I am dehydrated, at the same time I was drinking water al that night as well and during the day for sure because I'm a pretty heavy water drinker. Been drinking it all today as well.

I do try to weigh once a week, my work schedule makes it so that on the days I work I am pretty badly bloated. I work till 3am and my digestive system doesn't have a lot of time to settle so I try to weigh on Monday's or Tuesday's.

And I exercise daily because I get bored otherwise. Today I won't be doing anything, maybe a long walk if I'm feeling up to it later.
  • katweeks63
    Options
    When you have not been eating right for a while and you start eating right your body freaks and drops some excess immediately, some of which is water weight. I would take this happily and continue to eat right. Also, when you got sick from drinking you expelled some of what was in your body. If you had to go #2 you may have just about cleared out your bowls. You can hold up to 20 lbs of waste in your bowls at any time. The good foods you ate may have caused your body to expell some of that waste, thus the big jump. Remember, meat stays in your system for up to 10 days, while vegetables can clear your system in as little as 5 hours.
  • heytherestephy
    Options
    When you have not been eating right for a while and you start eating right your body freaks and drops some excess immediately, some of which is water weight. I would take this happily and continue to eat right. Also, when you got sick from drinking you expelled some of what was in your body. If you had to go #2 you may have just about cleared out your bowls. You can hold up to 20 lbs of waste in your bowls at any time. The good foods you ate may have caused your body to expell some of that waste, thus the big jump. Remember, meat stays in your system for up to 10 days, while vegetables can clear your system in as little as 5 hours.

Interesting. Aha, yeah it was quite a hucking of matter that came out of me last night and this morning I did do number 2 before stepping on the scale. I'm not feeling good enough yet to eat anything significant. As for my eating habits, I agree. I was actually eating a lot of sugar, loads of fast food. We're talking poutine, pizza, burgers, fries, etc. Daily. I was spiralling into emotional eating. I was so scared my dad was going to die and just would not stop eating.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's a weird combo of you were probably retaining water from all the salt in the fast food you were eating and now are probably dehydrated from drinking and throwing up. Get re-hydrated in the next fews days and don't freak if you go up a pound...a certain amount of water weight is needed for your body to function :-)

Glad to hear your dad is doing better! Good luck on your journey and congrats on wanting to get back on track!