Dumb question about weighing pasta

Options
firstsip
firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
Is the nutritional content of pasta weighed by dry, or cooked? So, if 2 oz. of spaghetti says 210 calories, is that weight by dry or cooked pasta?

Thanks.

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It is dry pasta :-)
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    As pasta is traditionally cooked in water (which has no calories) the caloric content does not change at all. According to the USDA, the pasta should be measured out to 1 ounce (or a half cup) before cooking. This is the same in Canada as well.
    Enjoy your noodles!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Is the nutritional content of pasta weighed by dry, or cooked? So, if 2 oz. of spaghetti says 210 calories, is that weight by dry or cooked pasta?

Thanks.

It's dry.

When you cook the pasta, it absorbs water and therefore the weight and volume (i.e. cups) change.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Oh my I always measured it cooked haha good question and thanks :)
  • llamalauren
    llamalauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    2oz dry = 1 cup cooked.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    also, in case you (or anyone else) already cooked it, if you make it "al dente" (slightly firm still), it roughly doubles in weight. YMMV.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking that question. I did not think of that, always just measured it cooked. Thanks to all who answered it, as well.
  • 126siany
    Options
    2oz dry = 1 cup cooked.

Not always.

The shape of the pasta makes a difference.

The type of pasta makes a difference. For example, whole wheat or high fiber pastas don't swell nearly as much as traditional dry pasta.

How long you cook the pasta also matters. Al dente is slightly lower in volume than pasta cooked longer.

That's why you always weigh it dry. :wink:
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    how do u measure pasta without a scale?
  • 126siany
    Options
    how do u measure pasta without a scale?

If you don't have a scale, try dumping the whole box out and measuring it into equal individual portions. The box should say how many portions are included.

It won't be exactly accurate, as there will be broken pieces and such that will change the volume. But it's better than eyeballing it.

It's really a good idea to get a food scale when you can afford it. You can get a very good one for around $20-25 and I've even seen some folks here mention they've gotten them for around $10 at Walmart. I wouldn't be shocked if you could find them at yard sales too.
  • seashman
    seashman Posts: 51
    Options
    2oz is the dry measure; however, from my experience and some other's, the weight seems to approximately double once the pasta has been cooked. If you measure it after it's cooked, one serving should be roughly 4oz.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As pasta is traditionally cooked in water (which has no calories) the caloric content does not change at all. According to the USDA, the pasta should be measured out to 1 ounce (or a half cup) before cooking. This is the same in Canada as well.
    Enjoy your noodles!

I wasn't asking about changing calories...