water tips, anyone?

Options
i am so not a water drinker, but i'm trying really hard to be good about it. since the beginning of this month, i have yet been able to drink 8 full glasses of water - i'm averaging about 6 glasses. i know i should probably drink even more than that, but it's pretty tough! on days i work out (most days), it's pretty easy to drink 32 ounces during my workout and right afterwards. i'm drinking water with meals and carrying my water bottle with me, but it's still not happening. now, if i had a bottle of dr. pepper toting around, it would be no problem - i could drink two whole liters and want more! also, i'm not drinking soda or coffee or anything else in place of the water - just water. any pointers, anyone?

Replies

• KLSimpson
    Options
    Do you like herbal tea? I drink a couple cups a day and add that into my water count. I also drink one big glass with fresh lemon juice squeezed in it which is pretty tasty.
  • Ms_Lady
    Ms_Lady Posts: 31
    Options
    Do you like decaffeinated iced tea? Add a couple of Splenda packets to 8-12 ounces of tea, and you'll have a nice flavor to a drink that's all water!:flowerforyou:
  • theraymiles
    Options
    Hey!

I know everyone says you should drink 8 glasses a day, but if you're at 6 and not thirsty, so be it. It's not a big deal

Listen to your body, you shouldn't force anything into it!

Ray
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to be just like you. I started buying Crystal Light packets to put in my water. They are only 10 calories per packet & they taste great! They don't have sugar in them but you still get a bit of sweetness. I started making a bottle of water with the Crysal Light packet in it & keeping a bottle of plain water at my desk at work. This way as I'm working, I will sip one & then then sip the other so I'm not drinking a full bottle of either of them without the other. This kept me from getting bored of the taste. I even carry Crysal Light in my purse so I will order water at restaurants & just stir it in! Also, it helped me to get a bottle of Ethnos Water which come in a 33.7 fl oz bottle. This is 4 of my water servings for the day in one bottle!
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Good for you on doing as well as you have with drinking water!!

I was not a big water drinker, either. Like you, I had to have Dr Pepper or Diet Dr Pepper. That stuff was running through my veins! When I got started on this, I literally had to force myself to get the water down. I keep a cold bottle of water on my desk at all times. I buy nothing but water for the office I work at and my home fridge. I do drink unsweet tea (but have to put my Splenda in it!) when we go out -- mainly because I really, really can't stand tap water and most resturants around here just use tap.

Tips:
    ~ To start out with, it you can't stand the bland taste of just water, mix in some Crystal Light or even better Benefiber water mix. To me, if I use a whole packet of either of those, the flavor is too strong, but you may like it.

~ If you take anything daily, like medicine, vitamins, or fiber capsules, take them one at a time with big swigs of water. Helps keep the pills from sticking in your throat AND gets your water in you.

~ I found that alot of times, at the end of the day, I couldn't remember how many bottles of water I had, and I can't always log on from work. Now, I keep my water bottle lids by my office phone. I know that one bottle of water = 2 cups, so I just count up my lids and double them before I leave work for the day.

~ I grab a bottle of water from the house on my way out in the mornings to drink in the car (instead of a gas station coffee). I usually have it finished within 30 mins of being at work. Then I just grab another from the office fridge and keep it on my desk and open. By having it open, I have to take some pretty big gulps at first so I don't risk spilling it all over my daily paperwork and computer!

I hope these help a little :)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    thanks to all! (this site rocks) :)
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try putting the flavor packets in your water. There are all different flavors, so hopefully you can find a few that you like!
  • cannon15
    cannon15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try flavored water. I think it's as good as soda, but still no calories.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...now, if i had a bottle of dr. pepper toting around, it would be no problem - i could drink two whole liters and want more!...

It may be worth pointing out that caffeine is a diuretic, meaning it removes water from your body, making you more thirsty. Which in turn makes you drink more Dr. Pepper (or tea, coffee, etc.).

Plus the fact that most people think water is bland, you shouldn't expect to go from a few cans of soda a day to 64 oz of water a day within a month. Water in other drinks and water content in food all help, so don't think you're not getting enough water if you don't feel hungry or thirsty you're probably fine.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    aaahhh...that makes sense, mvl - thanks for that!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I always drink my 8 a day, but everyone is different. Keep an eye on your urine, that'll tell the tale. If it's light yellow, great. If it's dark, drink more water. I always try to have a glass of cold water right beside me. That way when I'm at work and look away from the computer for a second, I take a gulp. It adds up pretty fast.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It is hard for me to drink water too...NOT A FAN!

The only way for me to get my recommend ounces of water in a day is to:

a.) drink it out of a water bottle vs. a cup (I don't know why...but it just makes it easier)
    b.) workup a sweat (jogging, jumping jacks, jump rope etc. for a few mintues) that will force me to drink water because I'm thirsty and that sounds like the best thing for me at the time.
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    I just realized today that I do better if I put my water in a large 32 oz insulated mug with a lid. I started using this mug in the car but found that I am drinking more. I fill it up before I leave for the office and then again at lunch time. I know it sounds silly, but I guess it's because I don't "see" how much water I haven't consumed. And before I know it, I've finished with the whole container! Good luck!
  • jlgarcia85631
    jlgarcia85631 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have always had a water problem as well---not drinking enough, or sadly any at all... I was always a twice a day coffee drinker and diet soda all day long. Now since dieting this is what has worked for me.

1. Instead of buying bottled water. Which is usually $4-5 for a case of 24 or so once to twice a week. I went out and bought a Brita Pitcher. I was worried at first if it would be as good as bottled water, but tastes just the same. Pticher was $24 at target with the printed coupon from the Brita web site. Picher already comes with one filter which will last 40 gallons of water--should be replaced in 2 months.

2. I fill up a 32 oz water jug. Think its one I got from rubbermaid in the tuppaware asile in store. Only $4 or so. I fill that up all day long using the pitcher. One whole jug is already 1/2 of my water goal for the day. I set a goal to have the 1st jug gone before noon. Which is usually easy since I work out mid morning.

3. I will often mix in crystal light packets when I'm down to the 16oz mark. I usually do this when I have a meal. So that I'm not always drinking water--gives me a treat while having main meals.

4. Crystal Light packets are good-- but I have started buying the less expensive walmart brand, and taste just the same. Just another way to save some pennies. I have also found a couple of dollar stores that carry crystal light packets for .99 cents a box. So when I see them I stock up.

5. I use to goto the store and buy 12 packs of soda when on sale. You know 4 cases for $8 or whatever the sale may be. Every one in my household drinks regular soda and I was the only one to drink diet. But, I would buy like 2 case regular and 2 diet. So Basically i would have 2 cases of soda sitting around just for me. Horriable i know. I tried cutting back and only buy one case diet and the rest for everyone else, but that left soda still in the house for me did not work. So I cut it all out together.I DONT BUY DIET SODA AT ALL. This has helped a lot... I dont drink it anymore at all on regular basis. Every once in a while I will have one like if we go out to eat and get subway i may have a diet soda. Just last night my family ordered pizza to be delivered to my home. So the meal deal came with 2 sodas. I didnt eat pizza made my own lean cusine pizza but I did have a diet coke from the pizza deal.

So this is what has worked for me. I hope that this may give someone who is struggling some ideas or help.