Need advice/ideas for exercise with knee injury?

Options
Hey all!

I suffered a fall a year ago and tore one of the ligaments in my knee, as well as chipping a piece of my femur off. I have put off and put off surgery as long as possible due to financial reasons. A week ago, I fell again and my doctor said I can't put off surgery any longer.

I really need to lose weight. I would like to lose 15 to 20 pounds before I have surgery. I am not sure when it will be scheduled, but most likely within the next 8 weeks. My recovery would be much easier if I wasn't so heavy. My problem is that my ROM is about 100 degrees for my knee and I am not able to squat or kneel. I need some good exercises I can do that will help strengthen my legs and lose some weight.

I have been watching what I eat for about 3 weeks and managed to lose about 5 pounds.

Thanks!

Rachel

Replies

• abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    How about swimming?
  • mayhem1969
    mayhem1969 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Dumbfox, I commend you on your effort so far and your challenge to lose weight. Exercising with injury is not typically recommended. Usually, exercise of any kind only worsens an injury. Unfortunately, it's very hard to avoid exercise if you want to lose weight. I have exercised with knee, ankle, foot, and shin injuries. It's painful. Given your knee injury, I would recommend aquatic's if you have access to a pool, which is not typical. If you don't, you might try riding a stationary bike. Stationary bike riding is typically prescribed after knee injury, because it strengthens the muscles that surround the knee. However, given your injury you might find this too painful. Look for exercises that reduce the amount of weight placed on the knee. You might also try to add some weight training to your program concentrating on upper body strengthing. The added muscle may help you burn more calories, along with your current eating program.

Good luck.
  • ginny78
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and i go swimming 3 times a week. I love it!!!
  • SunshineLady
    SunshineLady Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I tore the meniscus in my knee many years back, so, I understand and sympathize.

I would suggest asking your doctor or nurse for advice on the types of exercises you can do safely.

I made the mistake of trying to exercise before surgery and found out afterward I had been doing exercises that further damaged my knee due to the fact that there was extreme cartledge loss/softening and bone fragments undetected before surgery. I was trying to grit and bare pain thinking that I was strengthening my knee.

Have a wonderful day! Elizabeth
  • dumbfox
    dumbfox Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions!! I completely forgot about swimming. I think I will definitely try that. I do have access to a pool.
  • tmomma
    tmomma Posts: 5
    Options
    I tore my ACL in April 2009, I would not suggest furthering any damage already done,. It is frustrating not being able to do any excercise!! After surgery you will be getting plenty of excercise through physcial therapy, and please finish therapy...I had so many people tell me they didn't finish and regretted it...I went to physical therapy 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours each day, I really worked hard trying to regain the strength in my leg. Now I am training for my 1st 10K in April, a way to celebrate my journey through knee surgery. Good Luck!!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had a knee injury several years ago in college. My ACL shreaded (not torn, actually shreaded and non-repairable) and my miniscus cracked on both sides of my knee. A tendon was taked from my hamstring to use as a new ACL and I now have hardware in my knee as well. But before I had surgery, I tried to put it off as well, and my doctor said that is was the worst thing I could have done. The quicker you get the surgery, the better. I'd recommend beginning to diet now and do light exercises (swimming is a good one). But go get the surgery soon.

Oh, and last year I ran several 5K's, and Half and Full marathon. So recovery is completely possible.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Again, these are questions that should be posed to your doctor, not an internet forum.

There are some conditions/injuries with which one can do certain exercises and do the kind of "prehab" you are talking about. I did 30 minutes on one of those slide boards the night before my first knee surgery with no problems, but that was OK for THAT particular injury and I did so on the recommendations from my therapist.

If you can do something, there is definitely some benefit--but this is not the place to come for specific instructions.
  • dumbfox
    dumbfox Posts: 13
    Options
    I was not looking for "specific instructions," I was looking for ideas. My doctor (whom has done 3 prior knee surgeries on me) put no restrictions on my activity prior to surgery. I am to do what I feel comfortable with and am able to tolerate without pain or discomfort. I normally would do running or dance aerobics for exercise, but neither of these are feasible right now. Again, thank you for the suggestion of swimming. It was something that hadn't crossed my mind.