Tips for new runners

Options
I work out at least 4 days a week a min of 45 minutes. I do a lot of cardio but I feel like I’m going to pass out and die when I run. I started jogging for 2 minutes and then walking for 1 minute etc. I now can jog for about 5 minutes but I wish I can go for a mile straight without a break. Does anyone have any pointers, tips, motivation anything that can help? I’m currently jogging/ walking on just Tuesdays and Thursdays for 45 minutes.

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    make sure you're not going too fast. start out slow so you can last longer. for me i count to eight in my head to help maintain my breathing. listen to some music while you jog it'll help take your mind off of it
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great way to ease yourself into running! Google it for a link :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Couch to 5K program. It's way easier than it used to be (I did it last year, but I had tried it previously in 2003 and in 2006 without the benefit of awesome apps and playlists), and it really works you up to running for 30 minutes, which is about how long it takes most runners to complete a 5K (though I am admittedly slightly slower than that).

If all you want to do is be able to run a mile without stopping, you can use the program to only go so far (maybe stop at week 5 or 6), or you can just try to work yourself slowly there from where you are now. For example, you say you can run for 5 minutes without stopping (which is a GREAT start!), but I'm going to guess it will take anywhere from 10-15 minutes to run a mile, depending on how fast you run.

Anyway, I recommend Couch to 5K, as someone who was a total non-runner to a graduate who still runs almost a year later :smile:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone I'm looking it up now
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I also recommend C25k. It's what I used to start running and now I can run a full 3 miles! It's a wonderful program.
  • nashai01
    Options
    Ok thanks so much. I'm sure this will help me so much. I have to send the link to my sister. :happy:
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to Couch 2 5K running program. You could buy the app or write down the time on paper if want to do it that way. I did it that way. Good luck with your running.
    Forgot to post the link...smh

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1. Keep challenging yourself with the speed at which you do your running intervals!

2. Fall is a great season to run outside! Go outside for your steady state endurance runs!

3. Sign up for a 5k that takes place at the end of Fall. It will help you with motivation.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a good recommendation, but I think your bigger problem is that you're going to fast. Running for distance should be mostly at a pace where you can hold a (maybe slightly halting or breathless) conversation while doing it. As you get more advanced you might want to add in some speed work at a faster pace, but for now don't overdo it. If you find you're breathing so hard that you can't speak a normal sentence, slow down. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be breathing hard, just not gasping for breath. Try singing along to your music: If you can sing entire verses without taking a breath, you're probably not going fast enough... If you can't do more than gasp a few words out, you're going to fast ;-)
  • sjacobson1013
    sjacobson1013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with 15opundgoal completely. Counting my breathing makes the most difference. A count of 4 in and a count of 4 out. Concentrating on that takes my mind off of the running and keeps my breathing in line with my pace. If I get distracted, my breathing gets waaaay too fast, and I always end up having to stop and walk until it's back under control.
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    I felt that way but you can't do it overnight just keep going. A little bit longer each time or take shorter breaks.
    Or try C25K
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I guess my tip is for "newish" runners,as it won't apply to you just yet.

But my tip: Take rest days!

Once you can cover a few miles, it's very tempting to run every day. You're so excited and proud of yourself! Maybe you're planning a 10K or even a Half-marathon in a few months, and you just get sucked into running every day.

But take the rest days. You can do something else on the rest days--just don't run.

It takes a good 6 months of running to build up the muscle, bone and ligament strength to SAFELY absorb the shock of running. If you do too much and don't give yourself the rest days, you may find that you get an overuse injury and can't do much of anything for weeks.

So take the rest days so you don't injure yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I now can jog for about 5 minutes but I wish I can go for a mile straight without a break.

Run a 5 minute mile! Otherwise I agree with the others C25K is pretty much known to work.
  • nashai01
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, I printed off the schedule for C25K and I'm going to start with it today. My running days was normally just tues and thurs, so now I'm going to throw another day in there, but all the other tips were great too. I will use all of them.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I started jogging for 2 minutes and then walking for 1 minute etc. I now can jog for about 5 minutes but I wish I can go for a mile straight without a break.
    First of all, this is GREAT progress. You can do two and a half times as much as when you started.

Agree with all the great advice above, esp. to slow down during your running intervals until you have a good base of aerobic endurance.

You will reap huge benefits from that 3rd day. Good for you.
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Check this out (I'm not associated in any way to this guy/website):

This is the guy behind the run walk run walk system.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com

This is a gradual approach, healthy for the joints/muscles and surprisingly effective in terms of results vs time invested.
    There are some "numbers" that are a safe bet for pretty much everyone (like the famous c25k plan which is the fail safe commonly accepted suggestion); however, IMO, the beauty of it is that the structured approach can be tailored/adjusted to your fitness level. As you make progress you can adjust the length/intensity of the walk/run intervals. Before you know it it would be run/jog instead of run/walk.

The key here is NOT to rush to distance milestones. This is like weight loss: slow and steady yields better results.

Get rest days.

As far as sore muscles, I'd suggest a bag of ice (or frozen veggies from your fridge) over the muscle in question. If you have sensitive skin then put a cloth or something between the frozen/ice bag and your skin. 20-30 mins should be plenty.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Check this out (I'm not associated in any way to this guy/website):

This is the guy behind the run walk run walk system.

I think you are confusing Greg McMillan with Jeff Galloway.
  • viki_88
    viki_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to running also and am running 3 days a week (with a rest day in between). I'm currently doing the podrunner first day to 5K BPM interval running program and I really like it.
    It's free and starts out pretty easy. The running intervals are only 60 seconds long in the first week (that seemed LONG when i first started). I'm on week 5 of 9 now and the podcast had me run 8 min, walk 5, run 8 min.... and I survived! It's awesome to see progress. And I find that the driving beats of the music push me to run a little faster. After 9 weeks, the podcast will have you running for 25 minutes straight! I'm looking forward to that accomplishment.

I got it in itunes and have the entire program on my ipod. But I think you can download it from the website also:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I did a quasi-C25K program to rebuild my endurance after I hurt my knee. Basically... I'd run half a mile, then walk half a mile and vice versa until I'd worked out for about a 30 minute stretch. Every week I'd try to make my running time longer and my walking time shorter.

After doing that for 6-8 weeks, I ran the full 3.1 miles this morning. I say quasi-C25K because I didn't follow a written plan.. that's just what the knee doc told me to do for rehab.