New to this.

Options
Can anyone help- I am getting very focused on all the calorie counting, and since starting this often run out of calories, but finding if difficult to get the fat and protein to the required level, Do I ned to add to the food diary before eating,for the time being? I have a good varied diet - is there an easy way to know on myfitnesspal to get more info. I cook from scratch most days, and didn't really want to have spend hours typing in food lists!! i guess I need to know more about food in general!lots of questions!!:smile: ?

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    First, open our diary to public and see what we are working with ;)
  • montereyrock
    Options
    ok done :smile:
  • MTBrob
    Options
    Ok ... These are things if I were you I would focus on

1.) get into a exercise routine..
    2.) up your calories by 300 or so
    3.) Reset your metrics to something that ups your proteins and lowers your carbs ..

Like 50% protein 30%carb 20% fat or 40/40/20 in that same order..

4.) Get into a better habit of logging consistently so you can keep track .

5.) Learn all you can, and DON'T QUIT
  • MTBrob
    Options
    Can anyone help- I am getting very focused on all the calorie counting, and since starting this often run out of calories, but finding if difficult to get the fat and protein to the required level, Do I ned to add to the food diary before eating,for the time being? I have a good varied diet - is there an easy way to know on myfitnesspal to get more info. I cook from scratch most days, and didn't really want to have spend hours typing in food lists!! i guess I need to know more about food in general!lots of questions!!:smile: ?
    Sorry to answer some of your questions ..
    1.) Thats up to you .. I personally will usually plan ahead, if I am eating out I will always pick healthy choices and add them after dinner

2.) MFP has a HUGE data base of food.. if you can't find the recipe, just log the ingredients and make your own recipe, a little work at the beginning will save huge head aches down the road.

3.) If this is all new to you there is a learning curve, but you will get there.. Mistakes are bound to happen, but don't get discouraged and dont QUIT!!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    -Recipes are your friend. If there's food you make regularly, enter it as a recipe and you can use it over and over.
    -1200 calories is very, very low - just about everyone needs more than that. Look for the stuff on the forums about Eat More to Weigh Less and eating more than your BMR.
    -I personally find preplanning what you eat every day to be the best way to ensure you stay under calories and have balanced macros. If you don't want to do that, get familiar with the nutritional content of the ingredients you work with a lot.
    -Easiest way to get more protein and fat is to double the protein serving and halve the carb serving.

Good luck!
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options

You've exceeded fat and protein today so keep doing what you're doing with that! Do try to eat all of your calories for the day if you're only on 1200 though to make sure you're getting enough micro nutrients.
    If you regularly cook the same things from scratch you can add recipes (Food tab, recipes) which you can then select as and when you use them (rather than adding all the ingredients each time). Otherwise you could do a search to see if anyone has put a simlar recipe on the database and appropriate that!
    You can add to the food diary before or after - before means you can adjust what you're eating if needs be or can help you plan if you find that kind of thing helpful. I usually add while I'm cooking or just after eating so I don't forget anything.
  • montereyrock
    Options
    Thank you very much - nice to have support and ideas. I have never posted message in my life! so this is all a learning curve.