Making this work with my lifestyle.

Options
My husband and I have a pretty active social life, with lots of dinners out and lots of parties/social events. I do really well at home and at work, but just don't have the willpower to resist some foods when they are right in front of me. Also, many of these events involve alcoholic beverages. Any suggestions?
Please don't tell me to stay home - I love spending time with friends and don't want to give that up. I need honest suggestions on how to make this work (even low cal drink ideas), not sermons about not wanting it badly enough.

Replies

• dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Just eat/drink in moderation. I went away this weekend for my sister's wedding and every night was drinking, late rich dinners, etc. I weighed myself the day I left and when we got back. I worked out once when I was there, and danced a lot at the wedding. I ate the food at the events, but just stopped way before I got full. I weighed exactly the same when I got back. Just exercise a little more that day if you know you are going to be out that night. And dance whenever possible if you are out at night at a club or event!
  • KatdenRN
    KatdenRN Posts: 52
    Options
    How much exercise are you getting? Adding some daily cardio will help!
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Girl, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I wont lie - its tough, but for me, its all about planning. When going out to eat, I make sure we pick the place in advance so I can scope out the menu and plan the full day accordingly. Make a plan for the night and stick to it. Drinks are tough too - steer clear of any of those fruity/desert drinks some of those (especially anything that tastes like chocolate) can be close to 1000 calories a piece. I normally go with flavored vodka/rum and diet coke. That way you only have to really account for the alcohol. Make sure you factor those into your plan for the day as well. Combining good planning and some exercise on your off days should make it doable.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Planning is definitely the key to not blowing it on a night out.
  • Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet coke.....order it in a tall glass, lots of ice, lemon and sip it. I switched to this and probably have 5 in a whole evening where Pre healthy eating I would polish off two bottles of wine then drunkly make really really poor takeaway choices after.

This way I have fewer calories, make better after booze food choices and have less of a hangover!!!!

Vodka and slimline tonic is another option.

You MUST have your social life!

I always check out menus before I go to the restaurants and figure out which is the best choice. If I put it in MFP before going out I am less tempted to sway and choose something higher in fat/calories.

I also order an Americano coffee whilst my mates are tucking into dessert! After all - I can then have more vodka rather than a high calorie dessert!

Not meaning to sound like a complete alchy.....me and my husband go out once a week and I always know where so I can plan!

This is the key!!!!!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what is more important to you - being healthy, feeling & looking or good, or compromising those things socially. Good luck to you if you can go out, drink vodka and soda and eat salads w/o dressing and lean meats at restaurants.

I couldn't do that, so I stopped going to bars and restaurants at the same frequency as before.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat some veggies before you go so your stomach is full. You'll probably still indulge, but not as much. The rest of it, I'm afraid, is willpower. Exercise more, and eat a little less at gatherings.
  • Bostonguy97
    Options
    Drinks are the reason I put on so much weight! I hear you!
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. What is working for me is to stay on track or close to during the week and if something comes up on the weekend so be it. Try to keep it to a one day of the weekend or planning ahead (eating less during the day so that you have more for night). I'm working at controlling the alcohol situation. It doesn't always work out as I "planned" and I don't intend to ever completely stop drinking- thats just part of my lifestyle we tend to celebrate often and it usually means food and drinks.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you cant stop at 1 beer or 1 glass of wine, go the liquor route mixed with seltzer water, tonic water or diet soda.

Do not drink on nights you arent going to one of these events. Once you start losing weight and your tolerance decreases you can feel just as happy on less alcohol than it used to take.

Leave room in your daily calories for the alcohol. Drink lotsa water !
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel you! I eat out a LOT more than is probably great for my wallet, but I lvoe spending time with my friends, and that's typically the best way to do so. My first line of defense is that, no matter what, as soon as I get my meal, I divide it in half - we all know portion size is way outta control, and that means I have lunch, too! ;)

Sometimes, before I go to dinner, I'll have a small portion of greek yoghurt with coconut oil (protein + a healthy fat) to help me feel fuller ahead of time, so I'm less tempted to gorge at the restaurant.

I'm sure you know about the "danger" words on a menu:
    Au gratin
    Basted
    Battered
    Bearnaise (or hollandaise)
    "Bet you can't finish it"
    Bottomless
    Breaded
    Buttery / Buttered
    Casserole
    Cheesy
    Country-style
    Covered
    Creamed / Creamy
    Crispy
    Crunchy
    Escalloped
    Fried / Deep fried
    Giant
    Loaded
    Platter
    Smothered
    Stewed
    Stroganoff
    Stuffed
    Value
    Volcano
    White Sauce

Better words to look for:
    Baked
    Boiled
    Broiled
    Fat free
    Fresh
    Grilled
    High Fiber
    Light
    Marinated
    Multi-grain
    Poached
    Red sauce
    Reduced
    Roasted
    Seasoned
    Steamed
    Stir-Fried
    Vegetarian
    Vinaigrette

I also ask for sauces and whatnot (if I really am in the mood for 'em) on the side - I'm a fork dipper (I dip my fork in the sauce/ gravy/ dressing and then into the food, so I have the flavour, but take in less than if I'd coated the food straightaway).

Drinks are a lot of calories, fo' sho, so limiting them works well for lots - ask for a soda water of diet cola with a twist between (depending on your preferred drink) to reduce the numbers of them.

Good luck! Restaurants don't have to be bad for your waistline, but planning and knowing what you're in for makes a HUGE difference. I also use my MFP app surreptitiously when I get the menu to get an idea of what I'm looking at if I can't plan ahead.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a pretty active social life, with lots of dinners out and lots of parties/social events. I do really well at home and at work, but just don't have the willpower to resist some foods when they are right in front of me. Also, many of these events involve alcoholic beverages. Any suggestions?
    Please don't tell me to stay home - I love spending time with friends and don't want to give that up. I need honest suggestions on how to make this work (even low cal drink ideas), not sermons about not wanting it badly enough.

I have one splurge night out a week - usually on Saturdays my boyfriend and I will go Italian with pasta, bread, olive oil, a martini, dessert afterwards - my point is ONE splurge night has not hindered my progress. How many times a week do you normally go out? If more than one you're going to need to knuckle down and really practice moderation and make sure your meal and drinks fit into your calorie goal or it's just not going to work!! Exercise will give you more calories to play with. Stick with one or two drinks ( wine, or maybe vodka and diet pop, lite beer) and a healthy entree (grilled chicken or fish with veggies). There is no magic way to do it. Limit alcohol and pick items that fit into your calorie goal.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    What i do before i go out is workout and make sure i fill up on healthy food before going out. that way I'm not starving and tempted to eat a bunch of yummy, bad-for-me stuff. I don't worry about the alcohol as much but if you want to limit the calories you get from drinks i would go for straight shots instead of mixed drinks (extra sugar) or get like coke zero instead of regular coke. also opt for wine instead of beer (more carbs/calories). Have fun!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    and danced a lot
    Try to keep yourself moing as much as you ca.
    Get out on the dance floor, or give the host/ hostess a hand.
    Maybe try staning up more?
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Haha, my friends call me Mr. Social Coordinator because I am always making events or throwing a party. We have a group in Raleigh that goes out every Thursday to different restaurants, and my friends and I rotate house parties. I've had over 100 people at my house and people are always asking when is my next party because they have so much fun. So we definitely have a good time :)

Having said that, we are also very serious about staying in shape. I belong to a run club with 400+ members but I've also run 8ks, half-marathons and a full marathon. My friends and I are always challenging ourselves to something new, be it the Warrior Dash or a 1 hr circuit training class. I've found if you want to enjoy the good food and drinks, you have to up your exercise...there is just no way around it.

I'm 45, 5'11, 167 lbs...so you can go out and still be fit...don't let anyone tell you differently. I haven't given up anything and I've never belonged to a gym....I watch what I eat, run and lift weights. If you want to enjoy the good food, then you have to find other ways to burn it off. We spent a week in Mexico and all we did was eat and drink. There are no excuses; you have to be determined to stay fit.
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice - the theme I keep hearing is PLANNING and EXERCISE. And I loved hearing advice from others that like to have a good time, like me. I'm working on it.