How did you conquer and unhealthy relationship withfood?

Options
Well its my first day on here, I was just curious if it was just me or if someone else may have experianced this. I have no problem working out i run and do weights, but when it comes to eating i just cant seem to control it anymore (ive never had this problem until about 7 months ago and it just keeps getting worse) i do great eating super healthy then all the sudden i just binge on junk! The last 2 weeks of done great not bingeing and eating super healthy then today i ate a piece of cake and a bite of my sons pancake and and i feel so down and so guilty i feel like i will never see the results and i have a complete disgust for myself! i dont know how to stop this pattern! I want to lose weight but mainly i want to feel good and healthy. Any advice would be so much appriecaited:) thanks so much!

Replies

• Cort_Moore
    Options
    An***
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Don't eat 'super healthy' and deprive yourself as it sounds like that's what you may be doing and then you end up binging.

I work daily 'treats' into my calorie allowance so I don't feel the need to binge.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Before I found this site I would eat fast food for breakfast and usually chinese for lunch. I'd come home and eat TWO healthy choice freezer meals + pizza rolls and whatever else I had around (sandwich, soup, candy, etc). Then my boyfriend would come home around 10pm, and guess what? He wanted dinner and I would eat yet ANOTHER meal with him. Usually Taco Bell or other fast food.

When I first started up I just completely changed my ways and budgeted everything within my macros/calorie goal. If it fits, I eat it. I'm still working on weaning out some of the junk I eat, but for the most part I'm getting there! And I'm steadily losing weight as well.

I haven't had any slip-ups since I began and pre-logging what I intend to eat for the day has really helped me. I agree with not completely eliminating 'guilty pleasure' foods. Keep them, in moderation of course!

Best of luck! :drinker:
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I had done this same thing, for YEARS!

Two months ago, I found "Eat to Live" by Dr Fuhrman, after watching 'Forks Over Knives' and 'Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead'.
    My junk cravings have gone away, I can eat until I'm satisfied, no longer count calories, and have lost 27 lbs in those two months. It's worth looking into at least.
  • Cort_Moore
    Options
    Thank you guys very much, Im gladI to know its not jut me and you all had some great advice. Ive heard of people eating some in moderation i just struggle with the guilt even if it is one brownie but i guess i just need to change my way of thinking. And eat to live i will look into that too thank you
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    An***
    :noway:
  • drewsmom07
    drewsmom07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    CJC166 i have thought about purchasing the book eat to live.. do you recommend it? I've read Bob Harpers Skinny Rules, and Skinny B**ch.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I didn't really eat unhealthy meals before I started loosing weight, but I had a serious portion control and junk food problem (which developped while I was at University - nothing like a box of Oreos to get you through writing an essay!).

I had to stop buying chips, cookies, and other junk food that I binged on, and I purposefully only cook enough for supper in the evening with a little left over for lunch the next day. That way I can't go back for seconds (or fourths). I only pack the exact amount of food I need for snacks and lunch for the day at work, so I know if I have a breakdown and eat it all by 11am, I'll starve for the rest of the day. I don't carry coins in my purse so I can't go to the vending machine. My desk is stocked with every flavour of herbal tea you can imagine, as well as a few protein bars and 100 cal packs of chips JUST in case. I pre-make my breakfast for the week (egg muffins!!) so I don't have an excuse to stop for Egg McMuffins.

I also had to stop buying pasta, bread, potatoes, and other high-carb food, and I filled my fridge with veggies and fruit. That way if I NEED a snack later in the evening, I have to eat something healthy. My dinner usually consists of meat, veggies, and maybe rice.

For me, it's all about accepting that I'm a food addict, taking the addictive food out of my life, and planning ahead so I don't NEED the addictive food, and now I can focus on creating new habits.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys very much, Im gladI to know its not jut me and you all had some great advice. Ive heard of people eating some in moderation i just struggle with the guilt even if it is one brownie but i guess i just need to change my way of thinking. And eat to live i will look into that too thank you

Definitely. Try to never commit to something that you know you can't do long-term. If you KNOW that you're going to want to have a slice of cake at somebody's birthday party or eat icecream one night with your kid, then allow yourself to do these things and plan ahead to partake so you don't feel as though you're 'giving in'. Just log it in your diary /before/ you do it and work the rest of your day around it.

I hope that helps. Nobody deserves to feel deprived! :)
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo for 18 months. I like how strict and simple it is and it has not been a problem to maintain, but everyone has their preferences.

Do a lot of research and figure out what you can stick with long term.
  • Bostonguy97
    Options
    How much water are you drinking a day? When the urge to binge comes, have you tried drinking a big glass of ice water first? It should at least make you eat less...it has been working for me at least. I also try to do something else like leave the kitchen and take a walk or something.