Paleo advice

Options
sed1217
sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
Hi, I'm seeking advice on how to best sustain my paleo eating habits. I just restarted paleo and, while I'm feeling good, I find myself falling into a habit that sank my paleo goals the last time I started up. I tend to eat less and less per day on paleo, to the point where I simply do not eat enough calories. I know this is, in part, because once I cut the dairy and sugar out of my diet, I don't really look forward to food anymore. It's a mindset I really need to break! But I usually get too wiped out from lack of eating on paleo to break that mindset. I just get so tired of meat and veg all the time.

Is there a type of shake or smoothie I could make on paleo that would get some more calories into me? I know most protein shakes are milk-derived, but I'm less invested in cutting any milk product out of my diet than cutting sugar out of my diet. Any advice?

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    How about just don't eat paleo?

You can still get super awesome, healthy foods while not on the paleo diet. You know how awesome Greek yogurt is?

Almond milk is paleo though, make a shake with that
  • sed1217
    Options
    I know that paleo is extreme, but I'm so bad about carbs. I would eat them all the time if I could. I'm so fat from eating so many bad carbs. I think putting a stop to them outside of fruit and nuts would do me so much good.

But I do think a compromise like greek yogurt, as long as I was strict about portions, would be good. It's just that when I get back to eating rice and bread, it's all downhill for me. I'll look into almond milk smoothies, maybe with fruit?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I wonder if Primal would be better for you than Paleo.

www.marksdailyapple.com
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yeah, try Primal, rather than Paleo. Not as restrictive, you can have dairy. I make protein shakes with almond milk. If you need calories, try snacking on nuts - macadamias, almonds.

There are tons of paleo/primal blogs with lots of recipes on them, stuff you would never think to eat, but they are good. If you get bored, try some new stuff.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm so bad about carbs. I would eat them all the time if I could. I'm so fat from eating so many bad carbs.
    Its not the carbs that make you fat, its the excess calories. But Yes it is much easier to over do it on grains than it is to do on vegetables. Like a bag of chips vs broccoli, you will feel fuller sooner with less calories on broccoli than you would the bag of chips.
    But I do think a compromise like Greek yogurt, as long as I was strict about portions, would be good. I'll look into almond milk smoothies, maybe with fruit?

I have mine with protein powder. The wife uses fruits of all variety, the only one i haven't liked is blue berries but that is just me.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Any advice?

Don't go paleo. Restrictive diets suck. Food is one of the greatest pleasures in life, why would you want to restrict that pleasure?
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are several Paleo/Primal groups on here, join those, you can probably get better advice without the negative comments.
  • sed1217
    Options
    Thanks - I just joined one!