FASTING?!?!

jennbissonnette
jennbissonnette Posts: 44
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Ok, so im fasting but just for 24hours. Do you think this will affect my weigh loss? They said you need to eat 1200 calories a day to not put your body inot starvation mode and weight gain. But im also able to have coffee and water through this day. Tell me your thoughts.

Replies

• sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    What is the purpose of the fast?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Your body doesn't go into survival mode overnight. It's a gradual process. It might sound funny, but our bodies are kinda gullible. We can trick them into doing just about anything, including surviving on low calories. Now I saw gullible, and not dumb, because our bodies eventually figure out "Heeeeeyyy... WAIT A MINUTE!" And correct themselves by going into starvation mode, but, like I said, that takes a long time of tricking it.
    You should be fine if it's just a 1 day fast.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    FOR what? just interested..
  • DrBorkBork
    You guys are nosy :-P

It's either for medical or religious reasons. Either way, it's kinda nunya
  • Haha. A lot of people are asking why im going on this fast. Its a spiritual fast. My family is having some troubles emotionally and financially so im going on a fast to get closer to god.

-Jenn

And yeah, you are nosy! lolololol. I would ask too though. Haha
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Aww, good for you Jenn!
  • Aww, good for you Jenn!

Thank you!
  • There is quite a bit of information on the the benefits of IF (intermittent fasting).
    Here is just one link, with studies cited.
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/intermittent-fasting/fast-way-to-better-health/
  • I fast for religious reasons from time to time, and while I've not done so since joining MFP, in the past I found that it did impact my weight loss. Almost every time I fasted for 24 hours, I lost about 3 pounds in one day. Then, I wouldn't lose anything for 4 days or so. I would never fast with the purpose of losing weight and it's not like I was losing "real weight", but it was good to know that I wouldn't crash out my metabolism in just one day.

I hope all goes well.
  • DrBorkBork
    I also fast for religious reasons, usually the first Sunday of each month. I'm diabetic, so it's dangerous for me to fast from food, so I find other things to fast from that I enjoy. When it's a spiritual fast, making the sacrifice is the important thing.
  • I agree and im happy to see that their are people who are religious and speaking out. Im proud of you guys! Thanks for all the information!!!

-Jenn
  • rlslpn
    rlslpn Posts: 5
    Im doing a 21 day daniel fast. It is fruits, vegtables and grains. I use soy products for protein and have felt great. It so far has not effected my weight loss. In fact it has really cleaned my system.
  • sirCed
    sirCed Posts: 16
    Why are you fasting?
  • sirCed
    i thought you shouldn't be advertising the fact that you are on a fast? i'm interested
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    i thought you shouldn't be advertising the fact that you are on a fast? i'm interested

hUNH?
  • sirCed
    If you are asking what i am talking about then nevermind.
This discussion has been closed.