Help... Confused!

Options
I just wanted to know, Am I eating enough calories? I here different people saying different things & now I'm all confused.
btw, I'm 5'8 166 pounds eating 1410 calories & I workout 3 days a week. & Is it bad that I sometimes don't eat back my exercise calories?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If it's working, continue what you're doing. If it's not, or you stall, then look at changing things. Don't mess with what's working :smile:
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    If it's working, continue what you're doing. If it's not, or you stall, then look at changing things. Don't mess with what's working :smile:

Agreed, while it works keep it up. I plateaued and had to change mine up thats why I am 5'3" 142 eating 1981, but that also includes my workouts. I don't add mine in.

But I would say eating back your workout calories is a good thing.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How many calories ARE you eating? Your diary is closed..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rae6503/view/exercise-calories-166276
  • mimigyal
    mimigyal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How many calories ARE you eating? Your diary is closed..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rae6503/view/exercise-calories-166276
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - which is how many calories you burn just by sitting around all day. There are many calculators if you google BMR Calculator. This is what I set my calorie total to. I don't eat all my exercise calories but I just make sure my day is balanced and most of my meals are between 400-500 cals (including breakfast). I just lost 2 lbs this week by staying under my calorie total (including the exercise calories) and working out everyday.
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The link below was recommended to me a few weeks ago. I found it to be very helpful. Take a look and decide for yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I don't think you eat healthy. A bagel with cream cheese is not the best choice for breakfast, it's lots of empty calories because you have the simple carbs and then it doesn't keep you fill long.

Do you eat vegetables?
  • mimigyal
    Options
    You need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) - which is how many calories you burn just by sitting around all day. There are many calculators if you google BMR Calculator. This is what I set my calorie total to. I don't eat all my exercise calories but I just make sure my day is balanced and most of my meals are between 400-500 cals (including breakfast). I just lost 2 lbs this week by staying under my calorie total (including the exercise calories) and working out everyday.
    So I'm guessing 1410 is low since my BMR is 1621?
  • miss_missa07
    Options

Not at all! You want to be at a deficit to lose weight, so I'd say you're eating the right amount! Sounds like what you're doing is healthy, and that's what matters in the end :).
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my exercise calories..Its working for me
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Not at all! You want to be at a deficit to lose weight, so I'd say you're eating the right amount! Sounds like what you're doing is healthy, and that's what matters in the end :).

Yes, 1410 is low. Your BMR is what your body needs to function while you are just laying in bed doing nothing. And if you eat 1410, you're not even giving it that many calories. I was going for about 1490 and almost never made it because I was hungry! My BMR is just under 1600. I'm happily eating around 2000 cal per day, exercising and YAY starting to see some movement in the scale. Btw, it's estimated that I burn around 2400 calories at least each day. Usually I burn more.
  • mimigyal
    Options
    I don't think you eat healthy. A bagel with cream cheese is not the best choice for breakfast, it's lots of empty calories because you have the simple carbs and then it doesn't keep you fill long.

Do you eat vegetables?
    The past couple of days I've been eating bad, lol. & yup I do
  • mimigyal
    Options

Yes, 1410 is low. Your BMR is what your body needs to function while you are just laying in bed doing nothing. And if you eat 1410, you're not even giving it that many calories. I was going for about 1490 and almost never made it because I was hungry! My BMR is just under 1600. I'm happily eating around 2000 cal per day, exercising and YAY starting to see some movement in the scale. Btw, it's estimated that I burn around 2400 calories at least each day. Usually I burn more.
    So then why does MFP suggest such low calorie goals?