Protein shakes

Options
radeema
radeema Posts: 161 Member
Hi everyone

I'm female, 5'1 and 110lbs. I want to gain lean muscle and have begun strength training a few months ago. I can already see a difference- my body is a lot more toned. I'v been trying to incorporate more protein in my diet, and have found out through research that for my frame and goals i should be taking 94 grams of protein a day.

I'm currently taking jillian michaels triple chocolate whey protein(15 grams of protein per serving) about 3 times a week, after my strength training workouts. My question is, how much protein can i take in the form of whey protein shakes in one go? Iv been trying to buy protein powder from GNC with 20g of protein, but most are over 24 grams. I like to make my shakes with a cup of fat free milk (8grams of protein), half a banana (2 grams of protein) and sometimes add in strawberries or other fruits. Iv heard that we should limit the amount of protein consumed per sitting to 30grams, is that true? Or does that number just apply to the amount of protein in the powder?

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I take well over 100 grams per day and often have 30 gram shakes. Listen to your stomach and drink alot of water.
  • Its_ali_bella
    Its_ali_bella Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Use caution at about 130grams of protein per day. It depends on weight and size. I do 40% protein.
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
  • radeema
    Options
    I guess i need to rephrase my question. Is it safe to consume more than 30grams of protein from a protein shake in one sitting?
    Does it matter whether the protein comes from a shake or other products such as meat or milk?
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Yes it is absolutely safe. Protein can only digest so fast, depending on what it is. Large doses will simply take longer to digest and release over a longer a period of time, which is a good thing. Whey is the quickest digesting and its not even that fast (about 10g/hr) and casein and animal based proteins take the longest. Whats important is that you reach your daily target for intake, not how much you take in with each meal.

Humans evolved very robust digestive and metabolic systems, and its still in our genes from when we were hunter gatherers. Back in those days it was not uncommon for us to take in huge portions of meat after a hunt. Carbs are rare in nature, and carnivores are adapted to taking in huge amounts of protein at once.
  • radeema
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

@Wolfpack: I was told that the body can only "digest" a certain amount of protein in one go, and the rest converts into fat. Any idea how can i prevent this? Any magic number (of grams of protein) i should stick to ?
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&list=UUqMBA83S0TnfTlTeE5j1mgQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Thanks for the responses!

@Wolfpack: I was told that the body can only "digest" a certain amount of protein in one go, and the rest converts into fat. Any idea how can i prevent this? Any magic number (of grams of protein) i should stick to ?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I guess i need to rephrase my question. Is it safe to consume more than 30grams of protein from a protein shake in one sitting?
    Does it matter whether the protein comes from a shake or other products such as meat or milk?

Yes that is fine. Unless you have kidney issues you should be fine consuming that much at once and 100+ per day.

That is not true about it can only digest 30 grams at once. Another myth like starvation mode that got started and people keep preaching it as gospel.
  • radeema
    Options
    Thanks for the video! very informative
  • ninehours
    ninehours Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Watch this guy, very informative vid's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlSBTeY1ybc&feature=plcp