Breakfast suggestions???

Options
I work a 10 hour shift at work so I need a breakfast recommendation that is filling enough to last me a long wait until lunch but healthy and low in calories. I tried just yogurt and a banana, but I just don't feel as though the yogurt is filling enough to be worth the calories and I am always so hungry by the time I eat lunch that I end up eating probably twice as much than is necessary. Any suggestions??? And must be quick to grab and go.

Replies

• HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've made my first green smoothie this week and loved it. 2 cups packed raw spinach (you don't taste it!), 1 frozen banana and about a cup of frozen strawberries (i put them in freezer the night before), and 1-1/2 cups almond milk; blend until smooth. It makes A LOT and it really fills me up as it takes a while to get down that much of a thick smoothie.
  • erinekball
    erinekball Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I often eat the Arnold Double Fiber bread, toasted with either peanut butter (heavy on calories) or Brummel and Brown yogurt spread. The toast is 100 calories/slice and is a foolproof way to stay full for several hours.

I also do a slice of cheese on a piece of the toast if I'm looking for a savory variation.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    scramble up some eggs or egg whites whatever your preference, add in a little meat like ham or chicken, add your veggies, then wrap it up in a high fiber tortilla. That usually keeps me pretty full for hours.
  • stacierusk
    Options
    I was going to recommend an Egg Beaters omelet with cut up veggies and herbs. Until you said grab and go.

You might consider a protein shake....protein makes you feel fuller longer. If it has to be super quick, maybe a good shaker and a shake you can mix with cold water instead of milk.

Or if you must have yogurt and fruit, try switching to low fat or fat free greek yogurt. That Fage fat free stuff has loads of protein.
  • relucas81
    Options
    Bacon
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    How about hard boiled eggs? That way you can cook them before hand and just grab and go!
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    try adding 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed to your yogurt - it's also a good source of fibre (i eat a yogurt, banana, and flax seed for breaky every day)
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    Foods high in Fiber should make you feel full for a long time. Fiber One Bran would be a good one. Also Oatmeal cereal.
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Apple cinnamon Oatmeal and add a 100 calorie pack of natural almonds. Yummy and filling :):drinker:
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Almonds for grab and go. Peanut butter sandwich, natural pb on whole wheat bread
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do kashi glean crunch 1/2 C with a plain chobani. Mix it up and chow down. Keeps you a little fuller. You need to measure the cereal though so you don't overdo
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Crockpot overnight oatmeal?

If you want to add me, I have a lot of breakfast recipies on my blog. They are mainly muffin type things so you can make a bunch of them and just heat them up in the morning and you can even freeze them. I find that 2 of them fill you up and keep you full for a while.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    try scrambling a few eggs with a 1-2 tablespoons of cottage cheese with some nuts or pb toast on the side.

try adding something like chia seeds or granola to your yogurt

google "steel cut oats crockpot recipes". steel cut oats fill me up.

sometimes I just want fish....so I make some quick tuna patties (no mayo!)
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal w/ some fresh blueberries and a little honey on top w/ a glass of milk. I stay full for a long time on this.
  • ne130172
    Options
    Thank for the suggestions everyone! I will have to try the hard boiled egg thing tomorrow. I would love to be able to make a bunch of smoothies but I am super broke and can't always afford fresh fruits. Oatmeal will be a good idea for Fall when it gets cooler out, I will just have to wake up in time to eat it. Are egg yolks really that bad??? It seems like eating just the whites doesn't end up being very much food...
  • natbeach
    natbeach Posts: 62
    Options
    i put frozen berries and light cottage cheese in a container in the fridge overnight - so good by morning!! Surprising because I never had much to do with cottage cheese and sweet things before. But its pretty low cal and I find it tastier than yoghurt and banana :)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I make a pot of steel cut oats on Sunday and put it in separate containers for each day. You just boil the water, add the oats, reduce to a simmer and let it simmer (stirring occasionally) for 20-30min (until it's the consistency you like). I put 1 serving oats, a teaspoon of brown sugar and 1/10 cup raisins in each container. Then I just pop it in the microwave for 1min and stir it up. I use the wide mouth 8oz mason jars with plastic lids...super cheap way to portion stuff and then you don't have to microwave in plastic.

I also make big batches of homemade breakfast sandwiches and freeze them. I do an english muffin (usually light or whole wheat), an egg with ground pepper, a thin slice of cheese and a breakfast meat (Morningstar patty or lean turkey patty usually). Then you just microwave it and go.

Another easy one is a high fiber toast with almond butter. I love the Matthews natural breads...they're even good plain.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm really into cold overnight oats these days. I use a recipe similar to the one I found on www.TheYummyLife.com, but you can google and find a ton of different recipes. My favorite thing about it is that with chia seeds and plain greek yogurt included, they are full of both fiber and protein! They keep me full a long time.

Also, i buy mostly frozen fruit for smoothies because it's so much cheaper, and I don't loose any of it to going bad, like I do with fresh fruit.