Do we really need 8 - 8oz of water every day?

Options

Replies

• xXYanixX
    xXYanixX Posts: 13
    Options
    ugh!! i LOVE water but i hate the peeing ..... and i drink 3000 ml of water everyday... that's 6 bottle of water...
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I've read you should drink half of your body weight in ounces to stay properly hydrated.

Now THAT seems reasonable! :smile:
    Hahaha... Her statement is accurate, though the grammatical construct of her sentence needs some work. She meant 1oz of water for every 2 pounds of weight.

Taking her sentence at face value, I should be drinking 2160oz of water per day.

I'd pee so much I'd look like the cupid fountain at the mall.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Personally, water helps me with weight loss because it helps get things moving out of my body, if you catch my drift :wink:

And yes, I've gotten to the point where I crave water as well! My mother and I were out and about this weekend, and when we got home we were both so thirsty! So she went and poured herself a giant glass of Diet Coke (she's an addict) and asked if I wanted the rest of my Cherry Coke (I'd bought a 20oz bottle the day before and had less than half of it with dinner) and I said no, I really do want water. It's the nectar of the gods when you're hot and thirsty! :drinker: (As a side note, my mother has recently been losing a lot of weight, and she drinks Diet Coke almost exclusively, so you can work it either way!)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Forget 8, I need 16. Or more.

Depends on the person, I think. I started drinking more and more water the higher my running mileage gets--I reckon that's what happens when you're a half-marathoner. That being said, lots of water has lots of benefits for anybody. (I think the only downside is having to pee...constantly.)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've read you should drink half of your body weight in ounces to stay properly hydrated.

Now THAT seems reasonable! :smile:
    Hahaha... Her statement is accurate, though the grammatical construct of her sentence needs some work. She meant 1oz of water for every 2 pounds of weight.

Taking her sentence at face value, I should be drinking 2160oz of water per day.

I'd pee so much I'd look like the cupid fountain at the mall.

lol, yeah. That's what i meant by that. It made sense in my head!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at 10-12 servings a day. It doesn't seem like a lot. I have a 16 oz glass nearby at all times, and refill when empty.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I drink drink drink my water, I do not drink soda or anything like that at all, so I love my water....it does help with budging the scales for me!!!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i agreed you are suppose to drink half your body weight in water therefore i drink about 200 ounces a day HOWEVER too much water can dilute your body nutrients and so i say be careful. I personally have been admitted in the hospital due to low potassium which the doctor told me i specifically was intaking too much water.
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    yes! it's so important to flush your body out and keep hydrated
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's probably really good for you. I haven't done it yet. 4 - 8oz glasses is about my limit. Still losing weight.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I've got this crazy little habit, I drink when I'm thirsty and don't drink when I'm not thirsty.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    This is the 1st I've heard that u should drink half ur body weight in oz. Half mine is 63.4 and I drink 80oz, so yay! I'm doing well! I've heard that water helps with ur skin too. I would drink at least 8.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    8-8 oz glasses aren't enough for me anymore. At first I had a hard time drinking that much but now I shoot for at least 12.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It does sound like a lot. I got a 24oz water bottle and I make myself down it before I can have a Diet Coke. I always seem to be able to drink 3 of them...
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have heard on the show the Doctor's and from my own doctor, that you need to have 64 oz. of liquid but it does not all have to be water. I try to make half of the liquid water and the rest low or no calorie drinks.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    It goes back to what works, I have a lot of fiber, keep my potassium high with my diet and drink about 120+ oz a day, if you are consuming a mostly processed diet then perhaps yes your potassium could be too low. But that would be a whole lot of water, lol. So many folks go on about water intoxication but your kidney's can handle up to 15 liters a day as long as you don't drink that 15 liters in one go :flowerforyou:
    This might be a TMI for some but as long as your pee is light yellow with little odor, you're fine, whether that's 8 or 15 glasses a day.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've got this crazy little habit, I drink when I'm thirsty and don't drink when I'm not thirsty.

Though you're being facetious, it actually is kind of a crazy habit: thirst is your body saying you're ALREADY dehydrated.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    How does drinking other things like milk or juice factor in?

They count towards fluids but they also add in calories too. I drink 2-8 cups of water and a ton of tea, both hot and cold.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I drink more then 8 glasses (not cups!) a day.
    As someone also stated I crave water sometimes... sit at the tap and just chug a glass of water. :drinker:
    I drink a lot of water at work and thank goodness the bathroom is only a few steps away :bigsmile:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    i agreed you are suppose to drink half your body weight in water therefore i drink about 200 ounces a day HOWEVER too much water can dilute your body nutrients and so i say be careful. I personally have been admitted in the hospital due to low potassium which the doctor told me i specifically was intaking too much water.

I typically drink ~96oz a day, and I am currently 200lbs. According to my urologist, 96oz is the MINIMUM I should drink per day.

When I went for my last check up I specifically asked him what HIS opinion was from a medical standpoint. He wouldn't give me a cut and dry answer, but he did tell me one thing--for every ONE person he sees who has had too much water, he sees a hundred people who are chronically dehydrated. The day I did my 24hr urine collection for him, I drank almost 5 liters of water and he was thrilled with my results.