TDEE?

Options
TDEE - what is it?
Thanks!

Replies

• faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Best way is to search it in the message boards or google. Its basically the amount of calories needed daily just to survive if you were in a coma. You will find a lot on the boards about it.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I believe TDEE is the number of calories needed to maintain your current weight.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Best way is to search it in the message boards or google. Its basically the amount of calories needed daily just to survive if you were in a coma. You will find a lot on the boards about it.

You're thinking of BMR which is baseline cals needed to nothing but supply enough energy to keep your organs viable. TDEE= total daily energy expenditure, which is amount of cals needed to do everything including workout etc...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hope this helps http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tdee
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate and this is the amount of calories you would need to survive on a daily basis. Fitness Frog is a great site and has calculators to help you figure out what yours is.
    Good luck!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    BBIAB GTTD TTYL
  • rcolours7
    Options
    totally daily energy expenditure

also - bmr (basil metabolic rate) = the amount of energy ur spend dialy

those 2 things can get confusing
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

False, what you just described is BMR, basal metabolic rate. TDEE is the number of calories needed daily to sustain your basic bodily functions as well as any additional activity, ie what you do as soon as you get out of bed until you go to sleep at night.

But there are a lot of good posts on here already regarding TDEE so using the search button is pretty helpful!
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure - Basically the total number of calories you burn in a day inclusive of your exercise and activity.

Here's the calculator I typically use to find TDEE...
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure Its a measure of your BMR(Basal Metabolic Rate) and your activity through the day.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    TDEE - what is it?
    Thanks!
    I am glad for this post because I didn't know what it meant either.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I anticipate that the next question will be how TDEE is to be used in fitness and weight loss.

The answer is:

If you eat your TDEE daily, you will not gain or lose any weight; i.e. you are eating at "maintenance".

Therefore, to lose weight, you subtract a number of calories from your TDEE and shoot for that number every day. For example, if you wish to lose 1lb per week (a very reasonable goal), you subtract 500 cal from your TDEE and try to hit that number each day.

Where did I get 500, you ask? 1lb of fat = 3500 cal. 3500 / 7 days = 500 / day.

Thus, understanding your TDEE and accurately recording your inputs and outputs each day are the most crucial elements to weight loss that meets your expected goals.