Can I really???

Options
Hello all,

I am 5'6 and roughly 140 lbs. I eat very well about 90% of the time.

I have been doing Insanity for the last few weeks. I do not have a heart rate monitor because I can't afford one, so I use websites to calculate what I burn during each workout. I take my heart rate from time to time throughout the workout, and to find the average HR, I add them all up and divide by how many times I took my HR. I still come up with (what seem to be) outrageous calorie burning. Take today, for example, I did Cardio power and resistance and based on the calculation, I burned 751 calories. Can this really be possible?

I also find that my HR is getting up around 240, even doing the DVD at a" slow pace". I know my heart functions normally, because I've had tests done for various reasons.

I am losing weight and inches at a healthy, normal pace, so there is no concern. I'm just curious what you all think.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How are you reading your heart rate without a heart rate monitor? Whatever you're doing is way wrong, regardless. 240 is almost certainly not happening. Most people typically run roughly 180-200 under extreme exertion.

About the closest you're gonna get to estimating calories is with a HRM. Even those aren't completely accurate but they're better than nothing.

Finally, if you're losing weight at a good pace, who cares? You're trying to use very inaccurate methods to figure out heart rate and calorie burn for no purpose at all. Keep up the good work and ask for a HRM for your birthday if you're really that curious to know the numbers.
  • accutron
    accutron Posts: 10
    Options
    If you have health benefits consult with your doctor. They might be able to write you a script for a monitor.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    How are you reading your heart rate without a heart rate monitor? Whatever you're doing is way wrong, regardless. 240 is almost certainly not happening. Most people typically run roughly 180-200 under extreme exertion.

About the closest you're gonna get to estimating calories is with a HRM. Even those aren't completely accurate but they're better than nothing.

Finally, if you're losing weight at a good pace, who cares? You're trying to use very inaccurate methods to figure out heart rate and calorie burn for no purpose at all. Keep up the good work and ask for a HRM for your birthday if you're really that curious to know the numbers.

I count my HR rate... I take it for 10 seconds and multiply by 6.... explain how I'm doing that wrong?
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you have health benefits consult with your doctor. They might be able to write you a script for a monitor.

That is a good idea. I never would've thought of that on my own. Thank you :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I count my HR rate... I take it for 10 seconds and multiply by 6.... explain how I'm doing that wrong?

If you count beats for a little longer (30 seconds) you'll get less error in your measurement. Try it and see if it makes a difference.