Dragging

Options
Back in January, I decided I had to get regular at the gym. So, I decided to start going in the early morning. I'm up at 3:15. At the gym by 3:30. Work out until 5:00. I do this 5 to 6 days a week. There were a few weeks there where I was away on vacation, then hand a nasty viral thing...other than that, I've been right on this schedule.

I'm in much better shape than I was when I started. It's visible enough that many people have remarked on it. Problem is, I haven't lost any weight. I'm stronger, stretchier, etc... Just haven't been able to get the weight down.
Obviously, I've been eating enough to keep up with my increased exercise.

Enter MFP.

I've had some success in the past by tracking my calorie intake, so I figured to give this a try along with my increased exercise. I'm about 3 weeks in and I've lost 4 lbs. I'm good with that. Problem is, my energy levels are so silly low that I don't know how I'm even going to get up and go to the gym tomorrow morning.

The answer seems obvious...eat more, right? Look at my diary, it's open.
Thing is, losing 4lbs in 3 weeks is not exactly melting the weight away. It's ok, and if I didn't feel so freakin' worn out I'd say I'm on the right track. But if I've got to eat more than this and lose less weight...that's just too frustrating.

I'm not expecting any miracle suggestions. Just looking to vent. On the other hand, if you can tune me up, I'd be all sorts of grateful.

Replies

• jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    maybe the sleep is the problem?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    maybe the sleep is the problem?

I think that's part of it. On the other hand, I'm not sleeping less in the last 3 weeks than I was in the last several months.
    I'd like to get more sleep, but those last couple of hours are all I have with my wife...and I'm fond of her.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    wives like couple time LOL

I'm the same way. I've lost 9lbs, but gained about 4-5 of that back. However, I've gone from a size "almost 16" to a 12.

Don't go on the number on the scale. Go by the clothes and tape measure.

saying that, i'm gonna peek at your diary.

EDIT

Ok... cut out the processed, the fast food-y stuff, and replace it with less processed foods. get salads, get fiber, add chicken and tuna. If you find you're grabbing these things because you're hungry and it's there, plan your day and pack it to take with you. that's what finally got me out of the processed food cycle.
    If you're sure lack of sleep isn't a factor, then try eating clean for a bit and see if that helps.
    If all else fails, check with your doctor. ;)
  • fatgirlslimlady
    fatgirlslimlady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to lose 25 pounds and you're already 16% of the way there? That's nothing to complain about--that's some legit weight loss. THIS is one pound of fat: http://fitnessachievement.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1lb_fat.jpg and you've lost FOUR of them.

That being said, it appears that you are not eating back your exercise calories. Of course you're tired! Your engine is running on fumes. Not everyone eats back all of their exercise calories, but when you're burning several hundred or more, you're creating a realy huge deficit. MFP already works in the deficit needed for your desired weight loss rate. So I'm not telling you that you need to eat more and lose less weight, but my suggestion is to eat back more of your exercise calories and lose the same weight a bit more slowly. Slow weight loss IS the most sustainable!

BTW, congrats on your exercise regime! That is some serious dedication.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    wives like couple time LOL

I'm the same way. I've lost 9lbs, but gained about 4-5 of that back. However, I've gone from a size "almost 16" to a 12.

Don't go on the number on the scale. Go by the clothes and tape measure.

saying that, i'm gonna peek at your diary.

EDIT

Ok... cut out the processed, the fast food-y stuff, and replace it with less processed foods. get salads, get fiber, add chicken and tuna. If you find you're grabbing these things because you're hungry and it's there, plan your day and pack it to take with you. that's what finally got me out of the processed food cycle.
    If you're sure lack of sleep isn't a factor, then try eating clean for a bit and see if that helps.
    If all else fails, check with your doctor. ;)

What do you figure is the most offensive thing I'm eating? I'm open to some change, if I can manage it.
    The good news is I work from home, so it's not that tough to plan and provide for whatever I want to eat.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    Your goal is to lose 25 pounds and you're already 16% of the way there? That's nothing to complain about--that's some legit weight loss. THIS is one pound of fat: http://fitnessachievement.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1lb_fat.jpg and you've lost FOUR of them.

That being said, it appears that you are not eating back your exercise calories. Of course you're tired! Your engine is running on fumes. Not everyone eats back all of their exercise calories, but when you're burning several hundred or more, you're creating a realy huge deficit. MFP already works in the deficit needed for your desired weight loss rate. So I'm not telling you that you need to eat more and lose less weight, but my suggestion is to eat back more of your exercise calories and lose the same weight a bit more slowly. Slow weight loss IS the most sustainable!

BTW, congrats on your exercise regime! That is some serious dedication.

I've never been completely confident in either the calorie burn estimates or the consumed estimates, so I try to keep way to the good side of that. But, given I have so little energy right now, upping my intake may be called for.
    Slow is tough.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Judging by your dairy...WHOA..you are barely NETTING 1000 cal a day. No wonder you are tired, your body is getting no fuel.
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    I wouldn't say "offensive". But KFC, burgers, fries, pouch meals..... Most of the foods I see are good foods, good fats and proteins. But if it comes from a pouch, it's probably high in sodium and low in nutrients compared to the Fresh alternatives. I found it helpful to track my sodium intake as well. Also... more veg!
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    I wouldn't say "offensive". But KFC, burgers, fries, pouch meals..... Most of the foods I see are good foods, good fats and proteins. But if it comes from a pouch, it's probably high in sodium and low in nutrients compared to the Fresh alternatives. I found it helpful to track my sodium intake as well. Also... more veg!

1 chicken strip! :-) The boy were eating them and I couldn't help myself! Same with the fries. I steal a handful from the kids and then record the max so I don't "get away with it."
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    Judging by your dairy...WHOA..you are barely NETTING 1000 cal a day. No wonder you are tired, your body is getting no fuel.

I guess I haven't really paid attention to the net.
    The one day I felt really good recently involved a massive splurge 1200 calorie dinner that put me 200 calories over my goal for the day.
  • ladykaisa
    Options

1 chicken strip! :-) The boy were eating them and I couldn't help myself! Same with the fries. I steal a handful from the kids and then record the max so I don't "get away with it."

=) fair enough then! But start recording sodium (you can change it under settings). And definitely eat more, so you're at least eating back half of what you burned off. A few weeks back you were better at that.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

=) fair enough then! But start recording sodium (you can change it under settings). And definitely eat more, so you're at least eating back half of what you burned off. A few weeks back you were better at that.

Ok, I'm turning on the sodium. Thankfully, I don't know how to record what I shake on my fake eggs.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I guess I haven't really paid attention to the net.
    The one day I felt really good recently involved a massive splurge 1200 calorie dinner that put me 200 calories over my goal for the day.

It's a common mistake, I was doing the same thing. Was only looking at how many calories I ate, not what my net was. Turns out it was only 600-800 cal a day.

I was trying to do Insanity and after two weeks I just crashed and felt horrible. This thread helped me immensely.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This week I restarted Insanity and my energy is through the roof. I'm eating close to 2000 cal a day and never feel sluggish.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

I've had some success in the past by tracking my calorie intake, so I figured to give this a try along with my increased exercise. I'm about 3 weeks in and I've lost 4 lbs. I'm good with that. Problem is, my energy levels are so silly low that I don't know how I'm even going to get up and go to the gym tomorrow morning.

Maybe try and drink some caffeine 30 min before you hit your work outs.. Also if you feeling worn out you might want to up your calories a 100 or 200 more.. Lastly "silly low" energy levels at the age of 50 might just be a sign of a very low testosterone level in which case you could get on trt (testosterone replacement therapy).
  • Sontoun
    Sontoun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have u considered bringing your lunch from home rather than eating so much fast food? Add fruits and veggies and nuts to your diet! If you work out so much, you must be hungry all the time. Consider eating small meals every few hours. Definitely cut back on your sodium too! good Luck!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    try to net at least your BMR. btw this is @murdermile (twitter) i thought you had a HRM? trust those estimations! eat back those calories and your body will thank you.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options

Maybe try and drink some caffeine 30 min before you hit your work outs.. Also if you feeling worn out you might want to up your calories a 100 or 200 more.. Lastly "silly low" energy levels at the age of 50 might just be a sign of a very low testosterone level in which case you could get on trt (testosterone replacement therapy).

Good suggestions. I have a pre-during workout drink that contains caffeine and BCAAs. Don't know How I'd make it without it.
    I actually did have my testosterone levels checked some months ago. I was even a bit disappointed to be in the normal range since I'm all for a little help if it were to be called for.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    try to net at least your BMR. btw this is @murdermile (twitter) i thought you had a HRM? trust those estimations! eat back those calories and your body will thank you.

Hey there! I wondered if anyone from my twitter world would be here!
    I do have the HRM and use it every day.

It's becoming apparent that I'm trying to do too much too quickly. Patient, I ain't.
  • iAMsmiling
    Options
    Ok, so I just ate another 400 calories. That brings me up to 1900 consumed for the day.
    I burned about 1050 in exercise.

Net 850? Really?
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that "net" number is important! You'll feel so much better once you start eating more. The weight loss might be slow but it WILL happen. The less you have to lose, the longer in takes to lose it, in general.

Also, you may want to take a real hard look at the amount of fruit and vegetables in your diet - it's practically non-existent. Okay, you have some fruit most days but almost no vegetables. Eating more lettuce, peppers, squash, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. will provide you with tons of nutrients that will contribute to you feeling better/more energetic. I think the recommendation is three to five servings of vegetables per day (don't count beans - they are a legume). The more stuff you cook from scratch, instead of from boxes or pre-packaged heat-it-up- type stuff, the healthier you will feel.