Cooking Healthy with P I C K Y Kids (and I hate to cook)

Options
My husband and I decided we needed to start cooking, and eating healthier. Bear in mind that we hate to cook, and have mostly eaten out to date. My first night of Turkey Chili of course got the "eww, I am NOT eating that" from the kids (the 5 and 6 year old).

So for those of you with young kids, any good (and easy) recipes that are kid friendly? I'd love to try some.

Thanks,

Kirsten

Replies

• dawnwarren71
    Options
    I too struggle with this and my picky 9 year old daughter who doesn't want chicken and that's one of the biggest things I need to have. I just tell her she has to tryTRY it. I won't force her to eat something she hates but have told her she would be amazed at how much there is out there she hasn't tried that's great. Then just keep in mind, they have been eating the same bad foods we have...and it will be a transition for them like us. :-)
    Far as cooking goes I LOVE to cook. But I find keeping it simple...simple receipes can be just as rewarding and healthy as long time consuming ones. Keep googling receipes and you will find lots you fall in love with!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Then just keep in mind, they have been eating the same bad foods we have...and it will be a transition for them like us. :-)

^^This.

The biggest thing I find with our 4yr old is that he is more likely to eat it if he helped to make it. Around that age, they love to help so make a game from it. Let them tip the measuring cups out in the bowls or pour the liquids (with help) they can also do some mixing - may not be very effective but the point is to get them involved ;)

Try to stick with normal foods, things that are similar to what you are used to eating. Before you try to make recipes using foods you aren't used to eating start with the standard comfort foods that you will enjoy eating. If you hate cooking you will hate it more if you can't seem to make anything 'tasty'. Instead of going out for spaghetti and meat balls, make them at home or you can make burgers with real ground beef and use some nice lower fat buns. Get in the habit of having fruits and veggies available for snacking and don't let the kids rule the house. You are the parent. Ask them what they would like to eat..if they want McDonalds then make hamburgers, chicken fingers and fries at home using real ingredients and less oil/salt. It will be 1000% better for you and them and then once they get more used to home cooked food it's easy to introduce 'healthier' things - like turkey chili :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of this sort of question and it always perplexes me.

Maybe I had unusually strict parents, but my mother made our meals and you ate them or you went hungry. Those were the options. We kids usually decided to eat. I'm starting to think I was perhaps raised in an alternate universe. :huh:
  • BRoth1987
    Options
    I do cook most of our food at night and such since my 5 year old is allergic to milk proteins, she gets the you have to try one bite and swallow rule. As well as eat until you are full but no more. We usually don't have a snack at night but do have a bowl of cut up veggies and such in the fridge at all times that she is allowed to graze on.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Maybe I had unusually strict parents, but my mother made our meals and you ate them or you went hungry. Those were the options. We kids usually decided to eat. I'm starting to think I was perhaps raised in an alternate universe. :huh:

Same. My mom tried to get foods I would eat, but sometimes you have to settle. Though right now I'm my own fussy kid and I have no idea what to feed me. I won't eat meat, not good with dairy, and can't cook.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

It's a generational thing. That's how it was when I was growing up too.

In our house (with my kids) - you have to try 1 bite of everything on the plate. You don't have to eat the rest, but I'm not making something else, either.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

This is what I do with my daughter, who is 5 now. She helps me cook, we try to make healthy things, but I am big on "all things in moderation" so we bake cookies & other treats and we eat at McDonalds and other restaurants. Nothing is off limits, but she knows that in order for her body to grow & for her to have energy she needs to eat a variety of foods including healthy meats, fruits, & vegetables. This doesn't mean that she doesn't refuse to eat some times, but she also doesn't complain about being hungry b/c she knows it was her choice. Usually she eats.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    100daysofrealfood.com is so far my favorite site/blog. I've used a couple of her recipes so far that were successful, though the kids have really had them before, they were just a bit healthier. I have extremely picky kids as well, so its an awful fight each meal time. its going to be a long process, just like it is for you.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My husband is the picky eater! My kids (how are grown now) would eat just about anything. But my husband! I have learned how to disguise things and never, NEVER tell him what is in it until he has eaten it and said, "That was good! What was it?" Sometime I just say, "Ignorance is bliss!". :)
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are looking for easy, healthy, maybe even quick recipes, try kraftrecipes.com & check out their healthy living recipes or hungrygirl.com. I have found recipes on both sites that everyone likes, although I don't do anything as drastic as replacing sugar with artificial sweetener or using egg substitutes instead of eggs, the calorie count is still much lower than many "traditional" recipes & definately better for you than restaurant food. Good luck
  • cliq2000
    cliq2000 Posts: 21
    Options
    Yes my youngest only likes hotdogs and chicken nuggets and pizza. O and cereal and pbnj's round out his diet. My 4 sons have run me thru that wringer, and boy do I hate to cook. Its not really that, but all the prep work, time energy, money involved, planning, and cleanup o course, then with whats this junk??? MMMM ya Start ez, what we do is when we are out shopping we look for new foods we want to try. Say example if they dont like veggies (classic) let them try new ones. If they choose the ones to try, they are more likely to like them. We do this with cheeses, fruits, juices etc. I am still blown away that my youngest picky boy loves artichokes! Seriously freekin loves them!!!! We also experiment making lots of diff kinds of salads...a big EWWWW again, but he eats them mostly now. Not happening overnite, sorry to say, but yes it will. Also recipes are ez to find, try using allrecipes.com and search kid friendly or fast and easy or five ingredients or simple etc. I feel for ya!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a picky eat on top of having multiple food allergies. I cook for her easy. I buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery and that usually last for a few days. Or I bake drumsticks earlier in the week and just heat them up as I use them. Slice up a banana or other fruit, add apple sauce. I also give her a slice of bread and a little thing of olive oil she can dip it in. Make a batch of rice early in the week and microwave what I need.

Its really easy and simple. A broiler can heat things like fries up fast. She likes sweet potato fries.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Start with identifying things that are already pretty healthy that you make... I've yet to see a kid turn down bbq chicken breast. My son loved to dip asparagus and broccoli in ketchup. Gross, I know, but whatever - he ate it. Potato wedge baked "fries", hamburgers with extra lean ground beef.

As for the chili, you can likely make the same recipe with 94% lean ground beef if it was the turkey that turned them off. If you guys like hot dogs (not supre healthy, but kid-friendly so that you haven't flipped their entire menu upside down), the ballpark ff smoked white meat turkey ones are pretty tasty, as are the hebrew national 97% (or 95%, whatever it is) lean hot dogs.

Pizza - make it on a pita or a tortilla. We do a "make your own pizza" night fairly often. Lay everything out, and everyone can put whatever they want on them... Hormel makes a 70% RF Pepperoni that's tasty.

Edit: The super low-cal/low-fat turkey bacon DID NOT go over well (tbh, I couldn't stand it either).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

LOL Nope that is exactly how things went in my folks house.. My mom was the cook and she made sure to have breakfast and supper prepared (ate lunch at school) You learned real early to not complain about what was put on the table.. If you didn't like it well then you would go hungry... My mom always said she wasn't a short order cook.....
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So far, every last recipe I made from skinnytaste.com has been gobbled down by my kids. That being said, I am not a short order cook, and I don't give them alternatives.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

My mom was the same way with me, it was either eat whats in front of you or else. That would scare me.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

We must have been raised in the same universe! There was no "I don't wan this" or "I'm not eating this". Mom fixed it, we ate it. End of story.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. I have 3 kids. 1-19 and twin 18s all boys. Here is how it worked in my house from the time they were babies.

We cook dinner, you eat it. If not, the next meal is breakfast.
    Repeat for all other meals.

It seems to have worked. Because now, we can't stop them from eating.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

We must have been raised in the same universe! There was no "I don't wan this" or "I'm not eating this". Mom fixed it, we ate it. End of story.

I kinda took the mindset that forcing or threatening your kids in to eating food leaves a foundation for a poor relationship with food. On the other hand my rule is if you don't eat you don't eat and if you get hungry...oh well *L*
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Make some chicken breast coated in panko and bake them. Then try one of these or just go to skinnytaste.com
    what kid doesn't love chicken nuggets and mac n cheese?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/healthy-baked-chicken-nuggets.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/skinny-baked-broccoli-macaroni-and.html

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html