Should you exercise if your muscles ache?

Options
Hey there!
So, I started exercising regularly for the first time in years a few days ago, and, well, My Calves ache!
I know it sounds pathetic, but One of my Legs cramped up last night, which added to the achy feeling of today.
I was wondering, should I continue to exercise with achy muscles? Or will I do damage to them?
It's like a tight feeling, A typical "You exercised more than normal! Feel my Pain!"
I've heard about Feeling the burn and breaking through the pain, but for someone who has never really exercised before to jump right into 20 mins of Exercise at a time, My body doesn't like that, haha =D

I tend to do WiiFit Jogging and Just Dance for exercise, if that makes any difference =D

Thanks in advance <3
-X-

Replies

• brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You should be stretching before and especially after every workout. If you can do 1/2 to 3/4 of your previous workout then do it. It will help loosen the muscles again but make sure to STRETCH after. You can also take a hot shower then stretch...if you can soak in a tub that would be even better. You will get used to it. Good luck. I love my Wii too, especially when the weather is too crappy to get outside.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    YES & NO. Not trying to be fickle... but it is a both answer grey area. Do NOT cause pain and work out in pain. If it is that bad, rest it. But, here are a couple of insights.... switching it up and doing a different exercise may work different muscles. If you biked and your legs are sore, try working your arms and let the legs have a day of rest. Also, sometimes working them will HELP. It depends on how stiff, sore etc. they are. If I get up and I have a good, kinda feel that I worked it soreness and I'm tight, I find working out maybe just walking on the treadmill, doing yoga stretches, riding the bike, whatever, warms and limbers the muscles up and I can move better and it quits being so tight and sore... also releases those lovely endorphins. <g> But, like this past weekend, I started kettlebell workouts Saturday. I was so very OWWW on Sunday/Monday that I knew I would NOT do THAT exercise. My muscles needed a full break for a day or perhaps two before returning to it. Instead, I rode my Bike Sunday and walked on Monday. Today, we kettlebell again!!! Rock on! Listen to your body!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    exercise can actually help you work out the lactic acid (the stuff in the muscles causing the soreness). Drink lots of water, also. It can help you flush all that out of your system. You don't need fancy after workout drinks, especially at first, so just keep chugging water.
    Don't push so hard you will be so sore that you won't work out again for a week - you will get to know yourself.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to rest in between days when you are new, I think. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Being achey is normal if you are exercising vigorously. You should be able to still exercise. If you are in pain though, e.g. it hurts so much you can't lift, then take a break.
  • TheTeeJaii
    Options
    Thanks guys =D
    I'll probably do the stretching tomorrow, And probably do a slightly shorter exercise than today so as not to over-stretch my muscles
    Compromise!
    Thanks for your help <3