Going Cold Turkey On...

Options
soda (all types)
cheese
chips (all types)
candy (all types)
fast food (except subway)

All of these are weaknesses for me and unless I can learn to control myself around them( which I have yet to do) I am not allowed to eat them. Maybe some day I will be able to handle them in correct portion sizes, but until then they are out of my diet!

Healthy Lifestyle HERE I COME!!!!! :)

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Good luck!

Cheese is not bad for you in moderation, but if you're trouble with portion control that's understandable, because cheese is Good.

Be careful with Subway, you can easily end up with massive amounts of Calories, Carbs, and Sodium from there.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I know you can do it, good luck.
  • charliemcbride
    charliemcbride Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Subway's calories may surprise you. Just yesterday I wanted to go there for lunch. After reviewing the menu online I realized just how many calories their food has. I ended up eating somewhere else.
  • HeatherDee92
    HeatherDee92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Subway's calories may surprise you. Just yesterday I wanted to go there for lunch. After reviewing the menu online I realized just how many calories their food has. I ended up eating somewhere else.

I understand this but i generally go with a veggie on wheat no cheese and light mayo. it isn't to bad.
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm a firm believer that soda, fast food, and candy (with the exception, perhaps, of dark chocolate) should never enter your body. People who say we can eat them in moderation are just trying to convince themselves that they don't have to give it up :) Sugar is evil! I, too, swore off candy, fast food, and soda (was addicted to all) about 3 months ago. I've done well with the candy and don't crave it anymore, although I caved in to soda twice :(

I applaud going cold turkey and think it's the best way for many folks, but I'd caution you against giving up too much at once. Too many restrictions, and the brain starts craving it all! Maybe allow yourself a slice of cheese every so often? It's the only item on the list that has some nutritional value (albeit some strings attached).
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have not quit cold turkey on anything although i do have problems with portion control. If i find my self wanting chips I get a snack size bag. Same with other "bad" stuff. Get a small size so you can't sit and just eat and eat and eat. So far it is working for me and I find that if I don't feel deprived the cravings are not too bad.
  • lowbodyfat
    Options
    Awesome!
  • tropical24
    tropical24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I understand this but i generally go with a veggie on wheat no cheese and light mayo. it isn't to bad.

I've been told by employees that there isn't a real difference between the light mayo vs regular >< and the bread alone is very high cal(at least to me) Just make sure you do your research.

Don't get me wrong I love subway, But I consider it a cheat personally.
  • ahart78
    ahart78 Posts: 28
    Options
    Be careful with trying to eliminate so many things at one time. It could backfire and cause you to eat even more of those things. Good luck to you , though. I promise I'm not trying to discourage you :happy:
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I cold turkey too many things I have horrible cravings. But if I have them available I would eat them, so now and then I plan a "cheat" or make a healthy version. Having said it I eat cheese all the time and I have one square dark dark chocolate in the evening. I have not managed to develop a liking for raw cacao, but I'm getting there (heck, I never though I'd eat saurkraut or stop eating ketchup . . . )
    Having said that I do not think sugar in moderation is something I should have in moderation so I do NOT have that. I try not to do junk food, candy, pop or otherwise and make my own alternatives of all of them.
    Easy to make healthy coconut oil chips with sea salt (and they taste insane compared to stale store bought chips), I make my own 100% grape juice fizzy drink (with my homemade carbonator), I do chocolate milk with my raw milk, raw cocoa powder, and tonight's supper was a homemade coconut vinegar/spicy chilli dip, our marinated pork ribs (we raise free range pigs) with a cucumber/onion salad fresh from our garden. Who can crave garbage when you eat highly nutritious food on a regular basis :)
    Good for you, but now and then don't beat yourself up if you have a treat. :)
    Heather
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options

I do the black forest ham, with all raw veggies, swiss cheese, on italian cheese, Hubby and I split a 12" so 6 each. We share a bag of backed lays, and a medium 1/2 sweet tea. We can afford to spend our lunch calories for this meal. We stop and eat on our way to grocery shop.
  • gmoore351
    gmoore351 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am with you. Chips are my down fall. I can not just eat a few, so I just don't have them in my house anymore. Fast food has been pretty easy to give up, except for Pizza, my one true addiction. I did make some tortilla pizza's for lunch yesterday and it satisfied my cravings. I hope I can keep this up....Good Luck!
  • keeleen
    keeleen Posts: 93
    Options
    Good Luck!!! I went cold turkey on soda... and it will be a month tomorrow since I've had a pop.... and haven't missed it too much! But I don't think I could have gone cold turkey on all those things all at once, so kudos to you!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Portion control for all foods is really the only way you know how much you're eating. Really need to make that a priority.

As for going cold turkey in general, and with so many different things at once, I say good luck. If it works for you, stick with it. Asking for suggestions is great, but in the end you need to find a sustainable solution for yourself.
  • lilaclove2
    Options
    Can relate. Almost all those are a weakness for me, especially candy! Maybe try cutting one out a week. All at once sounds hard.
  • bbmkr3
    bbmkr3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Breads, pastas, sugars and sodas are my Achilles heel so I understand you. I have really had a hard time with the first two as I come from an Italian family and those are Italian "staples" but I have really tried watching my portion sizes and changed to healthier versions. The sugars I have limited to occasional treats, not buying them when doing grocery shopping and buy healthier choices such as fruits or yogurts. For Sodas I have opted to drink Diet 7up and Root beer, the only two that still in my opinion taste like what they were intended to taste like, I never have really did like any diet sodas but can swallow (so to speak) these.

Not that what I have done will work for everyone but you find what works for you and run with it.
  • gmoore351
    gmoore351 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chips are toxic for me also. I have never been able to eat just a small portion. I do treat myself however to a small portion size bag for lunch everyday. It has help with those cravings. I don't have any more in my house though.....!