Best Heart Rate Monitor for a total Newbie?

Options
I am thinking it might be best to get a heart rate monitor - since I know that MFP is probably off in the calories it says I am burning at the gym. I have never used one before, and really don't know what I am looking for, other that one that is gentle on my wallet :-)

I have hear the names Polar and New Balance thrown around alot, but I really don't know why to choose one model over another.
Do I need a chest strap? I've gotten a little confused searching online, it seems some times HRM are shown with the chest strap and some aren't depending on which website I am looking to buy from.

Also, i am not a runner, I just want this to wear to the gym to try and get a more accurate portrayal of the calories I am burning.

Thoughts?

Replies

• JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My friend bought the Polar FT4F, which is what I am planning on getting next pay day. There are more expensive models by Polar, but this is the one I want because it tells you how many calories burned, time spent in each heart rate zone so you can determine how much fat you are burning vs carbs, vs protein and can adjust accordingly, and will sync with gym equipment. The more expensive one up allows you to get on their website and use their personal trainer tool if you subscribe to it, but its not worth the extra 30 bucks to me and not worth a monthly fee for the service.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it! Bought it on Amazon for $75 with free shipping. I wear it when I take group fitness classes, C25K, any heart-racing activity. It's pretty basic. Tells you how many calories you burned, your heart rate and if you're in the "fat burning zone," the time, the length of your workout... it has a screen light... yadda yadda. DO NOT buy a HRM without a chest strap. The FT4 (as well as other models) have one.

If you're looking for a HRM that does the basics, but doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, I'd say the FT4 is for you. There are some more expensive ones that have GPS and things if you decide to get into running :)

Happy HRM hunting!
  • bellabijou
    bellabijou Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I was looking at the New Balance F4 - but I don't think it comes with a chest strap. It is so hard to tell online, it seems most sites don't list whether you get one or not!
  • JLD81
    Options
    No problemo. I agree, you definitely want a chest strap. The reason this is important is because without one you will only be able to take your heart rate when you stop to take it. The chest strap takes your heart rate the entire time you are wearing it. Also, make sure you get one for women so the chest strap fits properly!
  • bellabijou
    Options
    Ahh ok, that makes sense! So I am assuming you have to wear the watch and the chest strap at the same time ? ( see how clueless I am ? lol)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the Polar FT4, bought mine from Amazon for $62.49.
  • JLD81
    Options
    Yes, though there are some chest straps that you can buy where you dont have to wear a watch and can (don't ask me how because i havent done much research on these) plug the info up to the computer and it will tell you what you want to know. The watch and the chest strap are synced together so the strap sends your info to the watch as your wearing it. Im an immediate gratification kind of gal and like to know then where im at in terms of my workout. Right now I have an app on my smart phone that is decently accurate that tells my heart rate (i compared it to my mother's blood pressure monitor several times lol) and have used it some, and i know because of this that I definitely want the chest strap.
  • bellabijou
    Options
    Great, now I just wish they were a little easier to find in Canada! Amazon.ca wants about $125 for one before shipping, and I bet Amazon.com will charge me an arm and a leg to ship up to Vancouver.
  • JLD81
    Options
    YIKES! You might look here and see about dealers near you....

http://www.polarca.com/ca-en/where_to_buy