plantars fasciitis

Options

Replies

• harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been cursed with that as well. I do the can of veggies foot roll while sitting at my desk at work. That helps. ...So does doing the foot stretches (on a step). Go slow and easy at first.

Best of luck to you!!
  • peterhern
    Options
    I had this on both feet at same time. I decided to get accupuncture instead of a cortizone shot. For me the accupuncture was the final step in relieving the pain. What helped me most was massage, physical therapy and ice ice ice.
    Freeze small dixie cups of water so they will be handy to use on your foot.
    Good shoes and orthotic inserts help a lot, too.
    Hang in there. It takes a long time to heal.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had it about a year ago and did the stretches many have mentioned here but what I also did not realize was that my everyday work flats were making it tons worse. I started wearing wedges & lower heels and it has literally gone away. I've also had friends go the route of custom orthotics and they seem to work if they wear them. I hope you find something that works for you!!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I go to a chiropractor once a week. He adjusts me pretty much all over. This week I told him mine was acting up, and he actually used that little gun looking thing and "adjusted" my foot. It felt a lot better. Mine really acts up when I wear flip flops/sandals or go bare foot all the time. Tennis shoes with good support or those dansko (sp) shoes really help with the pain.
  • Maxine00
    Maxine00 Posts: 31
    Options
    I just got it recently and just went to the podiatrist. You need to stop running. It makes it worse.

My podiatrist recommended to me to get insoles that are called "Superfeet." They come in different colours. I got the plum ones - they worked the best for me. Get a firm, structured pair of sneakers like New Balance or Asics as your new walking shoes for the next few months. Plug the superfeet in them and that's what you're going to be walking in.

And you're done. My plantar instantly improved. Do this for a few weeks and you'll feel better. I wear these sneakers all the time now. With the plum Superfeet. Yeah it's not the greatest at work. I bought black sneakers so it's at least not neon pink (I got Brooks Adrenaline in black).

No sandals, no pretty heels, no strappies, no flip flops -- no unstructured shoes.

That's what the podiatrist told me and honestly it works! I have a dog to walk and there's nobody else who will walk her for me -- and I haven't felt pain since I did what the doc said! :) Good luck!
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I do stretches before getting out of bed. It's worse in the morning which is unfortunately the time I have to exercise so I go slow and take my time warming up. On the days my warm up isn't cutting it, I dial back my workout a bit. I'd rather take it easy one day than have to stop for a few weeks. My dr didn't recommend cortisone shots initially -- actually gave me a list of exercises and things to try and said if that didn't work we'd have to try the shots. So far I've managed without.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I had it a few yrs. ago.. I did not have surgery. I did the roll a bottle or similar kind of can under your foot before you get out of bed in the morning. . the foot Dr. gave me a band kind of sock that you wear when you sleep that stretches your foot so your arch is being stretched. It really helped alot. Good luck!!
  • rodrigo75
    Options
    I got bad news for you. I did alot of quick-paced walking, started jogging and that was going okay. decided to kick in some wind-sprints. stretched that tendon on the bottom of my right foot. couln't run anymore and if I sat too long I was forced to walk with a limp . Stopped the walking exercises and stuck to bike riding. this actually didn't seem to hurt at all. 6 months I dealt with this pain and decided to stop exercising completely for a while. Well, staying off my feet most the day for 2 months and woke up one day and the pain was gone. faciitis is a form of tendonitis and the only real cure is to just stay off your feet. I decided to stick to bikeriding indoors and out. good luck.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I saw 2 doctors over this over the past 3 years... after the 2nd doctor telling me I needed to get custom orthotics for my shoes I was ready to do it... but that was shortly before I started exercising almost every day.

Since I started exercising (Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVDs) and eating better I have very few episodes. Mostly I will get it bad on a Monday morning after I've spent all weekend in flip flops (because I never learn).

But a bigger indicator of when it actually stopped (almost) affecting me at all (except the flip flops!!!!) is making sure that I get 2 servings of ground flax seed and 1 serving of chia seeds EVERY DAY.

Flax seed is such a great anti-inflammatory and chia seeds - well, they're just great for your all over health! Try it. It won't work wonders overnight but I bet if you keep up the exercises as everyone else here is discussing and start a regimen of flax seed at least, you'll be having no pain at all before you know it.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The best trick I was told is to freeze a bottle of water, then use it as a foot roll to relieve the pain and inflammation. I hope you find a solution soon!
    I don't think you can 'get rid' of it without an operation, but I might be wrong.

I had it for a year and I did this^^^^. I took some time off and just did swimming for a couple of months. Then I got Vibrams and I've not had it since.
  • spinachsmoothies
    Options
    NO FLIP FLOPS or bare feet ever!

this.

and I would add on that high heels are not my friend. basically you will need to sacrifice foot fashion for comfort I have found. my ortho gave me stretches to lengthen the achilles tendon as mine are too tight and exacerbate the PF.

good shoes, stretches, ice when needed. good luck.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I had PF pretty bad a couple of years ago. I taped my foot with bandage tape and bought a new pair of running shoes. I also did the stretching several times a day. I have never even talked to my doctor about it. I just googled it online and there was a lot of information and videos to show how to tape and the exercises. The biggest improvement was with weight loss. I get an ache once in a while and I just make sure to stretch better after my work outs, so far so good. I do wear sandals, I wear Earth Shoes sandals (Walmart) and they have arch support and are very comfy. Walked for three hours in them at the mall today and my foot feels fine :-)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    NO FLIP FLOPS or bare feet ever!

this.

and I would add on that high heels are not my friend. basically you will need to sacrifice foot fashion for comfort I have found. my ortho gave me stretches to lengthen the achilles tendon as mine are too tight and exacerbate the PF.

good shoes, stretches, ice when needed. good luck.

I'm going to disagree with this. I'm almost always barefoot. I found that my problem was heel striking.
  • redhook6
    redhook6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggled with Plantar Fasciitis for years, to the point where I stopped running.

Then I read a book called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall, which is kind of a meandering book about ultra long distance runners in the Tarahumara Indian Tribe, who wear thin-soled sandals and seemingly never get running injuries, and how our bare feet have evolved for running, and modern shoes are the cause of most running injuries. This book doesn't actually give much in the way of advice on barefoot running; for that I would suggest "Running Barefoot" by Michael Sandler and Jessica Lee.

I ended up getting into minimalist footwear (I started with Vibram Five Fingers, but also like Vivobarefoot shoes), spent over a year building my feet up (lots of walking, then I would incorporate short jogs, etc.), and now my feet are pain free. I don't have the time I'd like to devote to running, but lately I jog about three miles every couple of days.

And yes, I now think traditional running shoes are evil...
  • msdani12
    msdani12 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am an Irish Step Dancer and JUST got this in March, I ice every night and massage it out. I have been advised to keep off it, but I am at a place where I can't just up and stop dancing. Ice and alleve have become my best friends. I use a frozen water bottle to roll under my foot OR a tennis ball. I don't think it'll come down to surgery ... or so I hope. ANYWAY it's painful. So, good luck.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with it for years off and on. Some days it was so bad I would fall over in the morning after putting weight on my feet. Enough to bring tears to my eyes. I tried pretty much everything that has been suggested already with minimal success. What finally helped me get over it was walking barefoot. Hurt like a mother f'er for about a week or so but with every step I could feel things stretching. I also learned to sit with my feet in such a position that I am almost constantly stretching my calf muscles. Between the two I haven't had much of an issue with it in almost a year.
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had it for couple months. Thanks for great tips will use them for sure. It hurts like hell but I have no option of resting so I guess just learn to live with it. My dansko shoes help a bit. Doc suggested the frozen bottle.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I had it, for about 6 or 7 months and would come back once I went running

Eventually I got INSOLES in my runners and shoes. First few weeks wearing tem was a little uncomfortable. But it has 100% worked
  • thebigcb
    Options
    You can also get a "boot" to wear at night, that stops the tendons contracting again
  • thebigcb
    Options
    "Foot Logic" insoles work