Who uses a heart rate monitor during workouts?

Options
If so, what is your experience? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks,

Kirsten

Replies

• fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 with chest strap and love it! It not only tracks my heart rate, it tracks calories burned as well as the fat burn zone and fitness zone. It also has data files with reports. I have not had any problems with it at all.

Erica
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 with chest strap and love it! It not only tracks my heart rate, it tracks calories burned as well as the fat burn zone and fitness zone. It also has data files with reports. I have not had any problems with it at all.

Erica

This, word for word. Got it on sale at Olympia sports for under $70.
  • smilingselena
    smilingselena Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Erica

lol Same as the above two posters!! lol
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Me too! I can't imagine working out without my Polar HRM!
  • ptmarr175
    Options
    i use a heart rate monitor all the time keeps me on track
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Mee! Polar! I swear by it and love mine. MSRP is over 200 for the one I got, managed to find it on ebay, brand new for 105!!
    (FT60)

The other FT models are all just as good. And less expensive.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Quick tag-on question - is there one that works for swimming & doesn't have a strap?

I don't have a HRM, but may invest if MFP's calories are off by a lot, as people who do have one seem to think...

(First million Google pages on the subject are ads)
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft4, love it!!!
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I love to see the calories burned. Motivational
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    I use the Polar FT-60 -- bought it from Amazon at a good price. In addition to the usual heart rate tracking, it can also measure a proxy for your VO2 so you get more accurate calorie burn numbers than are shown on gym machines. It also manages multiple heart rate zones and can set up workout goals for you and allow you to track them,

I like it a lot, but it has a couple of oddities. In my experience, readings tends to freak out a little if you get super-sweaty during a workout (this usually doesn't happen to me until I've been going for 60-70 minutes). Also, my rubber watchband just cracked and I have to glue it back together.
  • TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Erica

Same here. LOVE mine.
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    MFP's calories burnt are quite inaccurate, so it's really interesting to see the real numbers! I borrowed a Polar F7 from a friend and it was great, today I bought one from Aldi for $20 so we'll see how it goes!!
  • chappappy
    chappappy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are the #1 tool of anyone doing cardio. It helps you target your heart rate for specific workouts and best of all it keeps you safe. Mine is a Polar.
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT 4! That thing is awesome! Was on super sale at Sears! Learned about it from a friend at the gym! The greatest investment I have made this summer!
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I want a polar, but I bought a cheap one off amazon for right now that has a chest strap as well. I just got it today but it kept my heart rate during my whole workout with no prob. From reading the forums I was logging 30DS as circuit training but realized today that the estimate was WAY over for me(mine was more in line with curves circuit training not general). However I learned that my treadmill workouts were actually more than I thought.
    I feel so much better knowing that my numbers are more accurate now.
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    LOVE MINE!!!!
  • 3Daughtersin2015
    3Daughtersin2015 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 with chest strap, and LOVE IT!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is what I use! I love it! :) Got mine for $65 with free shipping online. If you look around you can usually catch them on sale somewhere.
  • GD135
    GD135 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in buying one as well, does it reset itself for every workout for the calorie count?
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Just finished doing my evening workout w/ my Polar FT4. It was the best $85 w/ shipping that I have invested in my health thus far.