Exercising with weights

Options
OK, so say you are 100 lbs and get on the elliptical with 10 lbs worth of weights. Do you set your weight on the machine to 110 or leave it at 100 to figure out how many additional cals you are burning by taking the weights with you?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why are you getting on a cardio machine with weights? That's incredibly dangerous.
  • Ang_Quark
    Options
    That's incredibly dangerous.
    Well, danger's in her name!

I would say that you should probably use ankle/wrist weights (I hope that was what you were referring to???) for machine work, and definitely log in your weight + the weights you're using because your body still has to move that and, as far as the machine is concerned, it's part of your weight for that workout. :) Hope that makes sense.
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get on an elliptical with weights if I were you. If you really want to burn more calories on an elliptical, simply increase the intensity level on the machine itself, which will make it harder on your legs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You cant teach common sense....

Hey 100lbs...lift with the guys and eat above TDEE by 20% for a year.
    Youll thank me for it!

www.stronglifts.com

You wont get bulky unless you have a mustache!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I have a mustache! I'm going to get bulky!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I have a mustache! I'm going to get bulky!

Its all about them testosteroneeeez!!!!!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, the machine is going to generally be wildly inaccurate so who cares? Why would you carry weights on the elliptical anyway? That's what the resistance settings are for, to increase intensity.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    A weight vest would probably be the best way to carry extra weight on an elliptical, treadmill or stairmill. Ankle weights would be a second choice. Given that you're only 100 lbs, adding 10-20 lbs in weights isn't going to tax any of the machines as even the cheap ones are designed for close to 300 lbs. Assuming you're asking so as to use the machine to calculate calories, I personally would stick with your body weight if the elliptical has a HRM (either hand grips or reading a HRM chest strap) that will be constantly monitoring you. That way the extra effort will show up in as a slightly higher sustained HR.
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    i carry a medicine ball, team. practicing for the strenuous hikes I go on where I'm carrying all sorts of stuff. thanks for the concern, though.
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    That's incredibly dangerous.
    Well, danger's in her name!

I would say that you should probably use ankle/wrist weights (I hope that was what you were referring to???) for machine work, and definitely log in your weight + the weights you're using because your body still has to move that and, as far as the machine is concerned, it's part of your weight for that workout. :) Hope that makes sense.

thank you!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    i carry a medicine ball, team. practicing for the strenuous hikes I go on where I'm carrying all sorts of stuff. thanks for the concern, though.

People carry up to 10 pounds in their hands on hikes?

Sorry I'm not from the early nomadic times and we haven't invented back packs yet.

/joke OP if you are training for hikes how about fill a back pack with some crap and go walk around out side.
  • DangerDiv
    Options

Sorry I'm not from the early nomadic times and we haven't invented back packs yet.

/joke OP if you are training for hikes how about fill a back pack with some crap and go walk around out side.

I do, but I often land up with a lot of crap in my hands. when i have to climb, i tend to store it all in a satchel of some sort or hand it off. i honestly like the feeling of living like a caveman; i'd carry bloodied game in my hands if I could.

also, not to be rude, as I feel a lot of people have been on this thread, but I'm 30, was a collegiate athlete turned pro athlete, worked at an atheltic facility, and currently hold a doctorate. I'm not exactly some sort of bumbling putz that has no clue what they're doing. I asked a question that only 1 person has answered. I'd appreciate if the people who post on here stick with the question instead of telling me what to do like I'm some sort of idiot 12 year old. no idea what all this unsolicited nonsense is about, but I really dgaf.

phew, glad I got that off my chest. hope I answered your question.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I do, but I often land up with a lot of crap in my hands. when i have to climb, i tend to store it all in a satchel of some sort or hand it off. i honestly like the feeling of living like a caveman; i'd carry bloodied game in my hands if I could.

also, not to be rude, as I feel a lot of people have been on this thread, but I'm 30, was a collegiate athlete turned pro athlete, worked at an atheltic facility, and currently hold a doctorate. I'm not exactly some sort of bumbling putz that has no clue what they're doing. I asked a question that only 1 person has answered. I'd appreciate if the people who post on here stick with the question instead of telling me what to do like I'm some sort of idiot 12 year old. no idea what all this unsolicited nonsense is about, but I really dgaf.

You seem quite angry.
    You asked about carrying weights on a treadmill.
    If I was in that gym you would have 100s of memes made about your bad case of fukarounditis.

A doctorate means nothing to me.
    Book smart and common sense are 2 different realms.
    Do you think I'd take advice from someone wanting to carry weights on a treadmill?
    Not really.
    And if you work in a facility then why not ask someone who works there about carrying weights in a treadmill.

The gent above offered the best response!
    Get a backpack and fill it full of crap and go for a hike!

Geez Louize!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DangerD, the problem in your hypothesis is that treadmills calculate primarily by the speed of the belt. If it has a heart monitor feature using your hands, you're SOL because you're holding a medicine ball and not the handles. If you have a chest strap, then I guess you're in business, but it's still going to be using an algorithm based on an average person's burn rate on that machine at that speed at that incline. It's really not meant to incorporate any extra activity you might be doing, like jumping jacks or hand weights or or high knees or whatever.

Either way, if this is something you can't be talked out of, enter your actual bodyweight, not your weight plus the load you're carrying. No promises on accuracy, but then, there never are.

Edited to add: ELLIPTICAL? I assumed we were talking treadmill because..... Dafuq?!?!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Alright, I was being silly earlier.

But let me get this right, you are carrying a 10lb medicine ball on the elliptical and you want to know if you should adjust your weight on the elliptical so that you get a correct calorie burn from the elliptical at the end?

Aren't you meant to be pumping with your arms on the elliptical? Wouldn't increasing the resistance on the machine be more effective than carrying a medicine ball?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Sorry for my douchebaggery earlier.

In my pro opinion I think you would improve your hike ability and be able to carry just about anything you want if you forgo the weight carrying elyptical routine and work on squats, deadlifts, BP, OHP chins and dips.
    You'll be stronger all around.

I'll take a power lifter on a hike over a cardio bunny.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Or, if what you really want is just an accurate calorie burn, maybe you could get a HRM? One with a chest strap is best.
  • Bostonguy97
    Options
    I bought a 40 pound weight vest on amazon for about 25 bucks. It works well on the elliptical because it's a more natural resistance than just cranking the machine up, plus it's hands free. You can take the weights out as needed too.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There's a guy at my gym who gets on the stairmill carrying a 25 pound weight wearing a gas mask... different yes, but he's in great shape.

If you are going to workout with weights, alternate strength training (I'm doing NROL4W) with cardio rather than increasing your body weight during cardio.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I hold a Ph.D. as well. It doesn't help me decide what to do in the gym. I'll assume yours is in exercise physiology.
    Meanwhile, the good folks here are all trying to be helpful. Perhaps you could lose the attitude?

Or, whatever, keep it, and best of luck to ya. cheers!:drinker: