Reduce calories in meatballs (suggestions please!)

Options
I'm still using ground beef, bread crumbs, egg (but I did try half chia seeds tonight). I need to do the obvious things...like better meat. But does anyone have suggestions for healthier meatballs with lower calories? Boyfriend is picky abut everything, so I can't go too drastic, but any suggestions to try are welcome!!

Replies

• jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    If you use ground turkey or ground venison (if you have access to it) I can't imagine needing to do much eke to lower the calories. Lean ground turkey is waaaay less calorie filled than ground beef.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin and have no venison. It's pathetic because I was raised on it. Boyfriend doesn't hunt, I dont know anyone who does that would sell me any or cut a deal. I want to try ground turkey.....recipe you like to use?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey with nothing it it lol That's what I use and just sprinkle some oregeno and basil on it.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I'm not the best of cooks so I may be doing it completely wrong but I just substitute turkey in where my meal has ground beef. Sometimes I need some olive oil bc the turkey is a little more dry than the beef. But I use turkey in lasagna, manwiches, burgers and chili. I love it. :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin and have no venison. It's pathetic because I was raised on it. Boyfriend doesn't hunt, I dont know anyone who does that would sell me any or cut a deal. I want to try ground turkey.....recipe you like to use?

I'm from Wisconsin too... hunting season is coming up I'm sure you'll be able to get your hands on some. I'm sure you have a local butchery of some sort. But, anyway, I don't make meatballs because I think they're yucky, but I would suggest what another poster said and use ground turkey.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just made turkey meatballs last week. I bought the Jenni-O brand ground turkey that has Italian seasonings already in it. I added bread crumbs, an egg, and cooked them in olive oil. They ended up being 149 calories for 2 meatballs about the size of ping pong balls. They were really tasty too! My husband said that they tasted like Italian sausage.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    96/4 beef or 99/1 turkey would be my first start.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    How does lowering the calories make it healthier? If you want less calories ... eat less meatballs.
  • romomma
    romomma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    http://www.noshtopia.com/2008/03/nutritional-bre.html

Trader Joes meatballs! This a great option with 5 choices and they are yummy!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Mix in some veggies--onions, peppers, whatever he'll eat (those are the easy ones). You can't do too much or they won't stick together, but they will take the place of some of the meat, reducing the caloric value of the individual meatball. Use cooking spray rather than olive oil to brown them in.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Add in fresh chopped vegetables. I like to add things like bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, cabbage or whatever I have in my fridge that isn't pretty enough for a salad. Put the veggies in a food processor to get them finely chopped, then add them to your meat mixture.

Also, try adding in part skim ricotta cheese or low fat cottage cheese for healthier meatballs.

I know someone who adds red lentils, but it is kind of an acquired taste. Maybe some chili beans and salsa and you could have tex-mex meatballs.

Edited to add:

Instead of bread crumbs use old fashioned oats or quinoa. No one will ever know the difference.
  • mystinamarie
    mystinamarie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you'd have access to ground bison or buffalo, but I've read that those are a healthier "red" meat than ground beef, if your bf wouldn't like such a drastic switch to ground "white" meat of turkey or chicken.

Also, not sure how you cook yours, but I place mine on a raised rack pan OVER a deep pan (like a broiler pan, or even a cookie rack over a regular pan) so when it bakes, the fat drips down below.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Ground turkey my husband loves them I do turkey, Italian bread crumbs, garlic salt and powder, black pepper. The thing with men is they might be picky but once they try it he will like it it's more the idea that he's eating something low cal. My husband will even eat tofu now the way I dr it up.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    97/3 ground sirloin.

Ground flax, whole oats, and seasonings in the food processor.

Mix it all together and roll out 24 meatballs.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes turning over every 15.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I might be able to find buffalo a lot easier than venison. Might definitely try this.

Also....amylhuff, how are you making your tofu? You must have some good tricks up your sleeve!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I replace about 1/3 of the meat with black beans or portobello mushrooms. If you chop it up well in a food processor before mixing with the meat, you can hardly tell.

I also love buffalo burgers so I imagine buffalo would be great for meatballs. In your neck of the country, I would think there would be a number of bison producers.
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    ive never eaten turkey...does it taste like chicken? but i love meatballs...seriously..im from new zealand...we eat lamb :)

justa sugestion, you could use tomato sauce or ketchup...same thing, instead of the egg to mix the meat?
  • Joshalynn
    Joshalynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular bread crumbs you can grind up melba toast. Its a low glycemic index cracker. I also use 97% lean ground beef. I have also seen recipes with spinach added, sounds good!
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey - 97% lean
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    I'm still using ground beef, bread crumbs, egg (but I did try half chia seeds tonight). I need to do the obvious things...like better meat. But does anyone have suggestions for healthier meatballs with lower calories? Boyfriend is picky abut everything, so I can't go too drastic, but any suggestions to try are welcome!!
    I use veggies! in a blender blend up cooked lentils, spinach (wilted or steamed) garlic, beet greens(wilted or steamed), (any other veggies you want really)then add to your beef or bison, bison is as lean as chicken! add oats and an egg