Reduce calories in meatballs (suggestions please!)

Options
2»

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Mix the beef with turkey or chicken, substitute quick oats for plain bread crumbs (much better for flavor), bake and drain off the fat.
    Grate onions and peppers for moister and binding.....
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't wait to try some of your suggestions!
  • saamantha
    Options
    Maple Leaf Prime - Extra Lean Ground Turkey, 300 gram(s) (3oz) (1 package) 420cals
    Generic - Baby Zuchinni, 0.5 medium (196g or appox 7oz) 16cals
    Safeway - Panko Bread Crumbs, 1/2 cup 100cals (For less calories sub in 2-3 Wasa Light Rye crackers)
    Club House - Greek Seasoning, 1/2 tsp (1g) 0cals
    Spices - Oregano, dried, 2 tsp, leaves 6cals
    Mrs. Dash - Southwest Chipotle, 1 tsp 0cals

Makes 12, 3 per serving
    Total: 542 cals
    Per Serving: 136 cals
  • As_Sweet_As_Pea
    As_Sweet_As_Pea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We like to use ground chicken or ground turkey. Bread crumbs, seasoning salt, garlic powder, fresh chopped white onions, and a small can of herdez or el pato sauce for spicyness, and 1 egg.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I substitute finely chopped baby bella mushrooms for breadcrumbs in my meatloaf..It soaks up moisture and helps bind it together just like the breadcrumbs do. It would work for meatballs as well. Or just leave the extra ingredients out and just ball up the meat and cook it that way.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey or buffalo, riced cauliflower instead of the bread crumbs, egg white and cook in the oven and not in a skillet with oil.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think mine aren't bad. I substitute half of the meat with ground pork or ground turkey. You get a softer texture than all ground beef and I like the flavor better too. I also use the leanest ground beef I can get, 90-95 lean. I still use 1 egg with 1.25 lbs of meat. I substitute instant oatmeal for the crackers. I don't think this switch is calorie saving, but it gives you whole grains instead of white flour. Spice it up how you like them and then I scoop them onto a baking sheet, so no extra fat from frying. I usually make 6+ lbs worth of meatballs and freeze them. My kids love them warmed up in the microwave.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Jenio 93/7 Ground Turkey Available at Walmart. The more fat the meat has the more calories it has but if you are making pasta then most of the calories would be coming from the carbs. If you are trying to balance your calories and if the fats of the meatballs in theory are causing you to eat above your goal then that is fine. Consider cutting the calories from the pasta by eating less pasta if that is the case.