I CANT believe the amount of sodium

Options
I CAN NOT believe the amount of sodium in everything we eat....i just snacked on some pickles...I figured pickles, come on they have like 5 calories each I thought I was making a great choice...then I was logging my food and it came up 660 g of sodium!
Our bodies need about 500 g a day to run right, they receommend not getting more then 2,400 per day ...and 2 pickle spears have 660???
If I have a lot of sodium I retain water terribly so this is a concern for me...
I really cant believe how much there is in EVERYTHING!

Replies

• Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I know what you mean! Sodium is the hardest thing for me to control! Most days I do pretty good because I try to eat the least amount of processed foods as possible but sometimes it's just very difficult!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    And it shows up in the most surprising places....................
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Ick. I know what you mean and I'm a salty food junkie! Argh.
  • dumbfox
    dumbfox Posts: 13
    Options
    The amount of sodium is ridiculous in a lot of prepared and canned foods. I came across a book called "The Secret to Skinny" about a 4 months ago and while I haven't followed the diet in the book, it makes a lot of sense. Since then I have been really trying to watch my sodium intake. I try to keep it under 1500mg. I just feel better when I do and can tell a difference in my belly and face. It also means avoiding pretty much all frozen meals and fast food which doesn't hurt.

There are a few really good cookbooks out there for low sodium recipes and a couple of websites also that I've found. If you go to a large chain grocery store you can usually find items with no sodium added.