Food photographed for Evaluation

Options
Hi everyone, coming from a chinese background and not cooking frequently for myself makes me very ignorant of the names of vegetable in english. So can anyone identify the following vegetable i had for dinner? (thats a stir fry fish cooked with sunflower seed oil with a dab of soy sauce)

O3oT6NH2yZ[img][/img]

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Looks like okra and spinach.

Okra:
    Bucket_of_raw_okra_pods.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think it looks like okra and spinach too. :drinker:
  • Arilysal
    Arilysal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks! aha so its called okra, is it common in the UK? i'll be moving there next year and i'm a little apprehensive about the lifestyle changes so i'm educating myself on English names for objects. This by no means meant that my English sucked, but when you converse daily in mandarin and Cantonese, you never learn the English name for everyday common food. XD Also it made food logging very difficult.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's a good question and I hope someone can give you the answer. I know okra is an everyday food in many parts of the US, but I don't know how popular it is in the UK. You might have to grow your own. It's pretty easy to grow. My grandpa always had lots of okra in his garden. :flowerforyou:
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Okra is not an everyday food in the UK. You can find it in the supermarket but outside of Asian (sub-continental, i.e. Indian) areas you won't see a lot of people buying/using it.

That said, where I live in London in a predominantly Bangladeshi area it's on every street corner and Okra curry on every menu!

Also, further questions about food in England, just ask!
  • Arilysal
    Options
    DeTaart, i love okra! i figured as much i need to go to an asian area to get supplies, but in Stevenage i dont see any asian market, might need to look harder, i guess i'd have to switch to bell pepers! whats the common home cook vege in UK?
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Big supermarkets will have Okra, even in Stevenage, don't worry!

Stevenage is very much a commuter town with a mixed population so you'll easily get all kinds of foods. And we love a big supermarket in the UK, most of which have good foreign food sections.

I would say 'carrots and peas' are usual English dinner-time vegetables. On a standard "meat and two veg" (typical English meal) the veg would be carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, parsnip, green beans or something like that. Often just plain and boiled. :yawn:

The great thing about food in the UK is that you aren't limited to that plain English food (thankfully!) :tongue:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Okra:

That is Okra, not spinach.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The dark leafy greens look like Broccoli Rabe to me:

479865730_c3d4670845.jpg
  • Arilysal
    Options
    yum! thats a very nice meal, is that marinated chicken breast?
  • Arilysal
    Options

Okra:

That is Okra, not spinach.

i think he refered to the spinach in my original photo, sorry im still clueless about uploading pics
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    yum! thats a very nice meal, is that marinated chicken breast?

I do not know what the meat is. I was just using that picture as an example for Broccoli Rabe (I found the picture online).