Any one using CHIA SEEDS? ANY EFFECT ON WEIGHT LOSS?

Options
Any one using CHIA SEEDS? ANY EFFECT ON WEIGHT LOSS?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I use chia, why would you think it would have an effect on weight loss?

It is a seed, can be used as an egg substitute in some recipes, can be used to make chia pudding, etc.

There is nothing that would indicate it would help in weight loss.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    no weight loss...but they are great for getting stuck between your teeth...:bigsmile:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use them in smoothies for the reported health benefits. I wouldn't think they make a difference in weight loss--what matters is what you overall take in.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Effect on weight loss? By what do you mean.... I use it as a fiber supplement in my food.

I mean, if you used it as a major replacement of things, maybe but... really?

It's just a different form of Omega 3, like flaxseed or fish oil, but can be used as a replacement for things like eggs.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds...I add them to oatmeal or yogurt and have also made mango coconut chia pudding. I don't eat them everyday though. Haven't noticed them making a difference in my weight, but then again I don't have much to lose. They do help keep me full for a long time, so there is that.
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do a chia fresca (chia seeds, water, lemon juice, honey) every morning before going on my ride, I find it helps keep me hydrated and adds some energy! So the fact that it helps in my workout, I guess that would also qualify in helping with weight loss. But if you are looking for a magic pill, nope!
  • AverageAngel
    AverageAngel Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. The latest adverts of Chia, make it seem like a weight loss super food.. When in reality the above posts are correct.
    Chia will swell, and retain tons of water, no mater how you ingest them. This makes you feel full, and by putting water in your system, your body runs more efficient. I have also herd it called "energy food" -- this again I believe is a side effect of being well hydrated, and the full feeling assists in not over eating, which can bog you down.
    Chia seeds are annoying to work with, the get everywhere, and are hard to retrieve ! lol... But , they are fun to use and eat/drink.
    Don't count on them for weight loss, but think of them more as a fun healthy eating item.
  • sonika86
    sonika86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - I thought they are being used as a meal replacement, well I guess the internet is wrong.
    I will continue using them for the benefits stated above.