Can excessive exercise stop periods?

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
I've been exercising a lot more than I ever have in the last two months..may not be excessive to some on here but for what I'm doing, I've REALLY upped my exercise for me....can it stop your periods?
No there's no way I'm pregnant and this last two months I've gone from bleeding all the time on and off to nothing? Not had spotting or anything for two months since I started exercising.
If it IS because of exercise does that mean I need to cut down?
I'm doing 30d shred everyday bar one rest day, cardio for 4 times a week and strength training three times a week but have one day totally off for rest, so it's not major excessive?

Replies

• katie_emma1987
    Options
    yes it can stop your periods but so can stress and not eating enough, if you are using contraception this can also affect your periods if you are not on contraception then you should see your doctor incase there is a underlining problem x
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I went from being pretty inactive to being in the gym 2-3 times a week, and my cycle stopped for 4 months. I didn't change what I was doing, and it came back of its own accord.

That was my experience, and it seems to be a pretty common thing. If in doubt visit your doctor!
  • sazzydee1
    Options
    Yes, excessive exercise can stop your periods. It is called amenorrhoea.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Can not having periods cause your weight loss to stall? I'm on 1200 cals a day and exercise around 300-600 cals a day but I eat about two thirds of those back?
    I am losing inches so not too worried about what the scales says but I did wonder ?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You'll find if you aren't getting enough nutrients, the length of your period will shorten and eventually [or suddenly] stop altogether for a time. This can be due to simply not eating enough or indeed overexercising.

And just to add to the flipside of the conversation, regular exercise [and resulting weight loss] can also help regulate your period.

I was never regular until I lost weight and began exercising on an almost daily basis.

But any difference in your normal cycle (normal being once monthly, naturally) sans contraception should be talked to with your doctor or gynecologist.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll see if my period comes and if not I'll go to the doctors to get checked out :smile: