How to acclimatise a shoulder/back injury?

Options
Hey there!

So, the main reason I think I've gained weight isn't because of a change in diet, per se. But more a change in fitness and exercise regime.

See, I stopped Judo 3 years ago because I had to move to the other side of Scotland for University.
Around 2 years before I stopped, I had been injured in a fight at Granite City (Main Aberdeen competition normally held around the beginning of November). A girl had got me Osai Kome (held down) and had managed to screw her knuckles into the vertebrae of my spine between my shoulder blades without the referee looking.

While I still did Judo, this only plagued me when I really pushed myself. I would start getting cramp after my 3rd competition fight or around that mark, or if I was at training camp doing conditioning work.

Now that I don't do Judo,I get cramp at the smallest thing. I can be sitting in a bad position and be unable to move for several minutes. I can only do 11 or so press ups before they start tightening up.

I've been to hospital about it (cramp in a nightclub from slowdancing...yup) and they said that I can't reverse what's happened and I'll always be more sensitive to cramp there and handed me some Ibuprofen.

So what I'm going to ask is if there is any way to "acclimatise" my injury. What I mean is is there any way which I can get my shoulders back to the way they were when I still did Judo? Any exercises I can do? (I got some from Physio, but they were rubbish. The woman looked at me for 30 seconds and gave me exercises for my NECK -_-)

TL;DR: I have bad shoulders, but want to do Judo again. Any way to make them cope with the strain?

Replies

• georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with my achilles for years. Seeing normal doctors, hospital and physios...then I saw a Sports Dr...AMAZING!! See a sports doctor. They will be infinately more helpful than any dr you have previously seen
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You saw the wrong Physiotherapist. Ask around your area for recommendations. A good Physio will give you a full assessment recommend a treatment including exercises, stretches and possibly cervical traction or some "mobs"
  • sneebazoo
    Options
    I'll see about doing this, since it sounds like a good option :)
    Thankyou :D x