Body Fortress Whey Protein

Options
So, as I've mentioned before I have to use supplements to meet my daily protein intake.

I use Body Fortress because it's 14 dollars I think for 27 servers of 26grams of protein per serving.

Only thing is, half the time I've been exercising weird because it says on instructions. "Drink immediately after exercise." but it's kind of difficult to keep up exercising at least 2x a day amongst everything else I do especially since I try not to drink them back to back, so generally. Breakfast, 2-3 hours shake(Or I'll take them together if I have a light breakfast.) 3 hours, lunch so on and so forth.

Would it be bad if I just took it without exercising, especially if I already exercised once in the day? Like, maybe it's meant to be a best use if type thing.

Also, I notice sometimes when I stir it up, not all the powder gets mixed up and I end up swallowing the powder whole, will I still get the same protein and such out of it, or will my body just try to get rid of it because it's powder instead of liquid.

Replies

• Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Wow that was a mouthful. Do what works for you.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    First off, I would personally suggest getting a protein powder without Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium in it. I recommend the natural version of Optimum Nutrition.

IF you're exercising you should take your protein within 30 min before and within 30 min after, if you're not exercising it makes absolutely no difference when you take it. Also, I'm assuming you're using Whey protein, but if you're taking it when not exercising, you should try casein instead of whey, as it digests more slowly and will keep you full longer. You will get the same numerical amount of protein regardless, to be clear.

As for the chunks, get a blender bottle from blenderbottle.com, which will break it up for you, or put it in a blender. However, as far as the numerical amount of protein you're getting is concerned, no, that number will not be effected by chunks vs. broken up powder.

Protein powder is best to just think of as just that, powdered protein. A convenient way to get your most important macronutrient. It is not intrinsically tied to exercise in any way.
  • wazuki011
    Options
    First off, I would personally suggest getting a protein powder without Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium in it. I recommend the natural version of Optimum Nutrition.

IF you're exercising you should take your protein within 30 min before and within 30 min after, if you're not exercising it makes absolutely no difference when you take it. Also, I'm assuming you're using Whey protein, but if you're taking it when not exercising, you should try casein instead of whey, as it digests more slowly and will keep you full longer. You will get the same numerical amount of protein regardless, to be clear.

As for the chunks, get a blender bottle from blenderbottle.com, which will break it up for you, or put it in a blender. However, as far as the numerical amount of protein you're getting is concerned, no, that number will not be effected by chunks vs. broken up powder.

Protein powder is best to just think of as just that, powdered protein. A convenient way to get your most important macronutrient. It is not intrinsically tied to exercise in any way.

What's the potassium stuff about? How does it affect me? Also, I get Body Fortress because I have little money it's only 14 bucks, most of the other stuff is 20 bucks or more, for half as much powder.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options

What's the potassium stuff about? How does it affect me? Also, I get Body Fortress because I have little money it's only 14 bucks, most of the other stuff is 20 bucks or more, for half as much powder.

Acesulfame potassium and Sucralose (Splenda) are both controversial artificial sweeteners. FDA will tell you they're fine, lots of Doctors will tell you to avoid them, people on MFP are split (and passionate) on both sides. Personally I avoid them like the plague. Just thought it was worth mentioning since I don't think most people look at the ingredients on their power. Plus, protein powder is in theory something you're going to consume a lot of, so good to know what you're getting.
  • wazuki011
    Options

Acesulfame potassium and Sucralose (Splenda) are both controversial artificial sweeteners. FDA will tell you they're fine, lots of Doctors will tell you to avoid them, people on MFP are split (and passionate) on both sides. Personally I avoid them like the plague. Just thought it was worth mentioning since I don't think most people look at the ingredients on their power. Plus, protein powder is in theory something you're going to consume a lot of, so good to know what you're getting.

I see, I'm not quite enough of a health freak as of now to worry too much about that, but it's nice to have the information. Perhaps when I come across more money and can afford to be healthier I'll avoid them, but for now. I've got to work with what I can manage.

It is something I'll keep in mind.

Still, I wonder why the protein powder directs you to drink immediately after exercise, but doesn't mention being able to use it, before or simply as a supplement.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You can take whey protein ANYTIME of the day, even on the days you don't train.