Hairy Bikers/Dieters - calorie allowance

Options
I guess this is one for the UK members......

Having watched (and been inspired by) the Hairy Dieters programmes lately, I'm still puzzled about the calorie allowance they were given by Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University. They were given targets of around 1200 calories per day - this seems pretty low to me in any case but especially so given that their starting weights were around 17 and 19 stone!

All the stuff that I've read on MFP about basal metabolic rate and all the other acronyms that I now can't remember (!!!) but basically amount to the fact that there is a certain calorie level that you should not drop below in order to lose fat without going into starvation mode and metabolising lean muscle. A while back I had my "weight loss calorie allowance" worked out for me based on my weight, age, activity level etc. My basal metabolic rate was 1800 and all the other factors meant that I should be eating 2100/2200 calories per day to lose weight without going into starvation mode.

Obviously this is pretty high compared to the Hairy Dieters' allowances! So who is right? Were they just doing it for a quick weight loss for good TV? or did Prof Taylor have something else in mind? I've contacted him to ask but no response so far - the poor man is probably inundated since the show aired, so it's not surprising really!

Any ideas anyone?

Replies

• WendyFlynn
    WendyFlynn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi

I watched this programme with interest and found it incredible that two strapping 6ft ers were given a calorie allowance of only 1200 calories per day considering their starting weights.

The lads were also incorporating cardio exercise and it was not made clear if they were eating back their burnt calories, I take it that they weren't.

Some of the food tweaks were good which made meals healthier but alot of it was just common sense.

3 stone weight loss in 3 months is certainly do able in those circumstances - quite heavy, minimum calories, not eating back exercise cals, but how sustainable is it for them?

I usually love these two jolly chefs but something really grates on me.....

They were paid to do it! And the accompanying book is a great seller on Kindle, never mind in print! So even more moolah!!!! Call me cynical but if I had thousands of pounds riding on losing weight, I'd blooming well make sure it looks quick and painless too.

Please don't get me wrong, the boys should be proud of themselves, they've put in the hard work and that is fantastic.... but will they keep it up now they don't strictly have to?
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I really liked the Hairy dieters series and have bought the book. I suspect that they were on such low calories as they were working on a quick loss in a short time limit and were both very high in body fat. Will it be sustainable at this rate? No. But it might just be that the psychological impact of having lost weight this way may be of benefit to them
    And they've focussed on making changes to their cooking that makes that more sustainable - showing how to adapt recipes and not have to feel that you're going without.
    More importantly I think it's great to finally have some male role models for weight loss on TV. Real guys who you could be chatting with down the pub and are making dieting more socially acceptable for men. It had, for example, finally got my boyfriend (and me) off our *kitten* trying to loose weight in a sustainable way.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Never seen the show, but people who have a lot of weight to lose can go on a low calorie diet for a time, but it is not recommended long term.
  • WendyFlynn
    Options
    "More importantly I think it's great to finally have some male role models for weight loss on TV. Real guys who you could be chatting with down the pub and are making dieting more socially acceptable for men. It had, for example, finally got my boyfriend (and me) off our *kitten* trying to loose weight in a sustainable way."
    [/quote]

This really stood out as a positive to me too, when the 4 men were all sat around (having a picnic?), talking about calories, had me in stitches. If, like yourself and your boyfriend, they have made people talk more and understand what is actually going into the food they eat, then they have earned their fee in my opinion (slightly embarrassed at my post now lol).

Wow, the wonders of the web, it makes you think about things from a different perspective that's for sure!
  • been285
    been285 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    my doc suggested 1200 to me @ 5'10" 285
  • WendyFlynn
    Options
    And what has MFP suggested?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It is probably a good rule of thumb not to use any diet or exercise advice based on a reality tv show. If what you are doing is working for you, keep doing it. If you hit a plateau, that is time to change things up to get back on track again.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've looked at Prof Roy Taylor's information on the web and he's a diabetes expert. There is some evidence that very low calorie diets over a specific time frame can remove people from the risk of diabetes or even make a diabetic be not diabetic any more. The boys were asked to lose 2.5 stone. I'm guessing that they can probably afford to lose even more than that. I have about 3 stone to lose and have hit a plateau eating around 1500 calories/ day. Even before that my weight loss was pretty slow, at less than 1lb a week. I have bought their book for some inspiration and plan to stick to 1200-1300 a day for the next three months or so and see if it works for me.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that as long as you don't drop below 1000 a day you'll still be getting all the nutrients you need if it's well balanced. I don't think this is great advice to be giving to people of my size who are facing a good 2 years of dieting. This site is working well for me so why do it the harder way and risk giving up through struggling with hunger and weakness?

I guess the Hairy Bikers are pretty sedentary between filming sessions, they would have to be to survive on 1200 a day. My b/f uses this site and is a similar starting weight to them but gets the same as I do 1650 per day.

Are the recipes any good? Worth buying the book? The Book People have it at a really good price at the moment.
  • NyimaR
    Options
    I forgot to say earlier - the masala chicken is awesome and the meat and potatoe pies are to die for (less impressed by the lasagne). Recipes are both at www.bbc.co.uk/hairydieters if you want to try without forking out for the book!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Tonight I cooked a The Spanish Style Chicken Bake out of the book which was really yummy, all the family liked it and it was only 370cals per portion
  • theinsanityofme
    theinsanityofme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my doc suggested 1200 to me @ 5'10" 285

I'm so pleased to hear that. I'm just shorter then you, and weigh 285. MFP wanted to put me on 1700cal/day, but I thought this was too much, so have put myself on 1200. Glad I'm not too far off then.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I thought this was crackers to be honest. Of course, they'll lose weight doing 12-1300 cals a day, they are probably netting less than that if they are doing exercise as well. But it's a crash diet, it's not a diet you could keep up for the rest of your life. What are they gonna do once the weight is gone? Up the calories and put it back on probably. Because your metabolism slows down.

Not saying 1200 cals isn't right for anyone, but actually the bracket of people that it is right for is fairly small. Diabetics, people with thyroid issues, the immobile, when you can't exercise or don't want to exercise, or if you have PCOS. But for the majority it's too low and not sustainable in the longer term. If your goal is drop weight fast, like they're doing (cos it makes good TV) then fine, but there could be a whole load of issues in the longer term keeping it off and becoming a yo-yo dieter.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I believe they were following the rules that restricting calories to the minimum is fine for the short term - which is what they did in order to significantly reduce the risks of the diseases they were likely to get. After the 3 months was up, they've lost the weight.. but they'll have hit the plateau, and will have to increase the calories by a couple of hundred every month to keep up the losses until they reach their ideal.

I actually don't see anything wrong with this at all. Although I am assuming that post-programme that's what they'll be doing. If you stick to a 1200 and it works, good for you, if you have to eat more for that to work, that's just as great.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I always cook my take-outs like that.. although I just use soy sauce and pineapple juice for the sweet and sour - I don't NEED it to be a pink sauce for it to taste good :P
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    I totally agree that it's great to see some male role models for weight loss and the "Hairies" do it in such an engaging and humorous way that it's bound to make people feel more comfortable about trying it. I just worry that if they're encouraging people to embark on very low calorie diets that are focussed on short term high weight loss but aren't meant to be sustained, but don't actually explain that, they could be setting people up for disappointment. If I hear anything back from Prof. Taylor, I'll post it on here.

There are about 14 of the Hairies' recipes on the bbc website - if you search on "Hairy Bikers" all their recipes come up and the Dieter ones are labelled as Hairy Dieter recipes. I've tried quite a few of them so far and have been really impressed. The only change I made was the cheese sauce for the lasagne - they used milk and cornflour - I used a recipe I found on the internet which is essentially pureed onion and garlic with mustard, a little cayenne, small amount of strong cheese and some low fat greek yogurt. Don't know how it compares calorie wise with the Hairies sauce, but it's delicious! The onions give it good body and a lovely sweetness that complements the cheese and indeed the lasagne!
  • NyimaR
    Options
    The white sauce was what I found let down the HD's recipe, so I'll give your method a shot next time!
    The programme was very keen to show them visiting doctors and at one stage when their weightloss doctor suggested that their blood pressure had reduced there was a real emphasis placed on seeing their GP first, which I thought was great. So I think that might have mitigated some of the effect of the "if they do 1200, I'll do 1200". But then I'm not sure that if people went to their GPs, how many would recieve accurate advice on healthy sustainable weightloss - GPs have a hell of a lot of other stuff to remember after all!
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    I don't think most GPs are at all up on helping people with weight loss or even really know much about the ins and outs of it. Granted they are generalists with a lot of other stuff to do, as you say NyimaR, but given how much most of them bang on about losing weight (I get told to lose weight every time I go, no matter what I go for!), they're not actually that great at helping their patients to lose it! Too busy or not enough budget maybe - who knows?

I asked my GP for help losing weight, all they could offer me was a discount on Tesco Diets or regular visits to the nurse to be weighed! No nutritional advice, no advice on calculating calorie intake and no access to any kind of counselling (I asked for weight loss counselling as my main problem is emotional eating - they couldn't offer me anything!).

It seems like the Government and the nhs spend a lot of time talking about the fact that there's an obesity crisis, but don't seem to have the time/money to help people get it sorted (at least not at the less extreme end of the scale - I was told that my bmi was too low to qualify me for gastric band surgery - even though I hadn't actually asked for that in the first place!!! I just wanted some help to lose the weight myself without resorting to surgery!).

I'm ranting now, so will shut up!
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    Here's the link to the cheese sauce recipe - it's a Mac N Cheese recipe, but I just used the sauce part!

http://doubletroublekitchenedition.blogspot.com/2012/01/mac-and-cheese-lite.html
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I watched the show and loved it, infact Im going out at lunch to get their book (always looking new ideas for meals and theirs were spot on!) Its also got me really interested in analising whats in my food and finding ways of making it better!

As for their cals, I was reccommended to start at 1200 for the first few months to kick start everything and it worked for me, Im now up to 1300 but providing you are wise with what you cook its fairly easy goal to stick to I think, Ive so far being doing this for about a year (had to take a break in routine due to knee injury) and even now you find even more ways to cut out cals without feeling deprived of anything!