Getting your base back and Half-marathon training

Options
joehempel
joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
So it's been pretty much an entire summer since I've exercised regularly. I have run 3-5 miles a couple times every couple weeks or so, even did 6 miles on dirt roads two weeks ago.

But I want to start training for a marathon in May starting Saturday....possibly doing a Half-Marathon in October.

So what's a realistic time frame to get your base? I have run a half marathon before, did it in 2:12, but I'd like to beat that time...I just don't know if there is enough time to train for it if I've lost my base completely. I can still run a 5k in less than 30 minutes if that says anything.

Replies

• Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    For base building, the longer the better is generally the rule. But if you can give it around 12 weeks you'll be in good shape to move on to more specific training.
  • Peeriegemgem
    Options
    Find a tailored plan - I am currently on Hal Higdons Novice 2 Half Marathon... okay two runs in with a LOT more to go, but heres hoping in 12 weeks I can do a half in about 2.30,
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Half-marathon is in 7 weeks for me. I'm pretty sure I can do it. I don't follow specific plans because they never work out for me, I just run. I just want to use it as a jumping off point for the Marathon next May.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A 29 minute 5K predicts a 2:14 HM if you do the HM training. SInce you haven't been training regularly I think it is highly optomistic to try and set a PR on a HM in 7 weeks. Doing the HM shouldn't be a problem though and will set you on the way for a Marathon next year.