Any climbers out there?

Options
I've just taken up wall climbing and bouldering and love to have a few friends into it on my feed.

Any takers? :smile:

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I take that as a no then. Boo. :frown:
  • HungryCougar
    HungryCougar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tree climbing? Rock climbing? Both? Something else?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Tree climbing? Rock climbing? Both? Something else?

Bouldering and wall climbing primarily, but who doesn't love tree climbing??? Any climbing really!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Intermittent climber here. Been wanting to get back to it. Feel free to add me. Love the sport and how it made me feel.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Its on my "to do list" to start indoor rock climbing once im a bit fitter, hopefully with a view to start outdoor rock climbing once im proficient
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am a climber- sport- indoor/outdoor, occasional bouldering and mainly trad.

It is my favourite sport :)
  • KimW4180
    KimW4180 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was a social climber for a while there, but kept hitting my head on the glass ceiling :(
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of bouldering taster sessions recently and loved it. i'm planning on starting a regular weekly session with my eldest daughter soon, but this will have to wait until after the start of this coming school year (we need to see what after school activities she will be taking this year before we commit to a specific bouldering night).
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why this forum may be the push I need! I used to do a good bit of Alpine climbing and trying to get back into it, I will have to loose about another stone before I could consider heading back to the alps or doing any other technical climbs.
    I've have planned to get back to hiking this weekend, to start to increase my mountain fitness.
    I haven't been a very active member of this site but feel free to add me - I really need to start logging again and focus on loosing another stone.

Laura
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I've only just taken it up and am already quite enamoured with it and would love to have more people into it on my friend list. It's great that people on here are supportive of each other but it'd be nice to have friends on here with more in common that just our desire to shift some flab!

I've started with bouldering but am looking into rope wall climbing (lead climbs?) as well. I started it as I hate exercise and wanted to find something I could get into that would be fun, interesting and provide me with a workout. This is definitely doing that. Last week I had muscles aching I had no idea existed!!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I've had a couple of bouldering taster sessions recently and loved it. i'm planning on starting a regular weekly session with my eldest daughter soon, but this will have to wait until after the start of this coming school year (we need to see what after school activities she will be taking this year before we commit to a specific bouldering night).

Where do you climb?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Its on my "to do list" to start indoor rock climbing once im a bit fitter, hopefully with a view to start outdoor rock climbing once im proficient

It's a great way to get fit! There's nothing quite like clinging to a wall to make you use your muscles!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Where do you climb?

Stoke-on-Trent. There is a bouldering center called Awesome Walls, they are a franchise and have a few centers in midlands/North West. The Stoke one is closest to me. There are a couple of other centers around which we may investigate if the times are not good for us at Awesome Walls.

You're London based right?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

Stoke-on-Trent. There is a bouldering center called Awesome Walls, they are a franchise and have a few centers in midlands/North West. The Stoke one is closest to me. There are a couple of other centers around which we may investigate if the times are not good for us at Awesome Walls.

You're London based right?

Yup. There's a rope climbing wall in Crystal Palace (very near me) and the bouldering I do in at The Arch Bermondsey and will be trying the London Bridge branch this Sunday.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Why this forum may be the push I need! I used to do a good bit of Alpine climbing and trying to get back into it, I will have to loose about another stone before I could consider heading back to the alps or doing any other technical climbs.
    I've have planned to get back to hiking this weekend, to start to increase my mountain fitness.
    I haven't been a very active member of this site but feel free to add me - I really need to start logging again and focus on loosing another stone.

Laura

Alpine? That sounds both awesome and terrifyingly hardcore.
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually find being in the mountains easier than on a wall, I think its the views that help get you through it. Plus you can very easily clock up 6 hours exersize without noticing. I've also found there is nothing better than booking a trip to keep your training focused – there is no way you will skip a training session if you know you have a forthcoming trip in the diary.

Theres loads of intro climbing trips you can do where no experience is needed but you can experience snow and ice . . . . . And a great sense of achievement! If anyone is interested let me know and I'll recommend a few great trips (be warned though they are not cheap).

Laura
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I may take you you up on those tips when I'm a little more flush!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    After dabbling little bits over the last couple of years, I've got back in to it in the last month.
    Having gone down from 16 stone to 12 or so at the moment has certainly helped :).

Feel free to add me.

Just bouldering so far - the only local friend I had who's in to it has just moved down South (I'm West Yorks), but may go along to a top/lead "singles night" to find some belay partners - suspect my bigger wall endurance will be a bit lacking.

Not done anything out door yet, though have had some invites from friends around the country.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    After dabbling little bits over the last couple of years, I've got back in to it in the last month.
    Having gone down from 16 stone to 12 or so at the moment has certainly helped :).

Feel free to add me.

Just bouldering so far - the only local friend I had who's in to it has just moved down South (I'm West Yorks), but may go along to a top/lead "singles night" to find some belay partners - suspect my bigger wall endurance will be a bit lacking.

Not done anything out door yet, though have had some invites from friends around the country.

The idea of outdoors freaks me out a bit. I'm quite happy with the comfort of having crash mats below for when I fall/give up and push off the wall!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Thankfully (or perhaps concerningly), I have fairly high fear thresholds. Though the first time bouldering inside when I couldn't climb down from the top and my hand was starting to give way I did panic.
    Then was "wow, that's cool, I just fell from being 'upstairs' and I'm fine" :).

A couple of little mats that may or may not be placed in the right place is a bit more concerning - as less so for trad/sport climbing, though of course there's the case of a good fall. So far only done top rope indoors npt lead and that was a couple of years ago.