Overeaters Anonymous?

Options
Hi everyone! Has anyone ever attended Overeaters Anonymous? I never really thought about it before, but I'm starting to get the insight that I truly have an addiction to food, and I wonder if the anti-addiction approach might work for me. I'd love to hear people's thoughts about the program.
Thanks!

Replies

• CJeffs
    CJeffs Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi I also have suffered with food addiction. Which i am really trying to controll after baby has come. I have never been to a meeting but, My mom used to attend "OA" It is the same platform as "AA" someone is nominated as your sponsor and they help you follow your weight loss guidelines. I also thought about joining a meeting by my home but I haven't yet. I think it can be very helpful. maybe we can chat sometime and help each other out.
    :smile:
    Carla
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Has anyone ever attended Overeaters Anonymous? I never really thought about it before, but I'm starting to get the insight that I truly have an addiction to food, and I wonder if the anti-addiction approach might work for me. I'd love to hear people's thoughts about the program.
    Thanks!

My sister and I attended a meeting years and years ago. After listening to the people say how they'd find food under the couch, covered with dust, and still eat it, we decided we weren't THAT bad, and didn't go back!
    I've also tried hypnosis, TWICE, as well as WW, and Dr's diets. I swear, nothing really worked until I came to MFP! Watching my numbers and working with them through better food choices (MOST of the time!) and getting some exercising (dancing to oldies, walking, jogging with my Wii) was all I needed! :bigsmile:
  • CaitlinEats
    CaitlinEats Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! Interesting to hear your experiences. I've done some reading this afternoon on the OA program and I do wonder if it's just too much "program" for me. I also wonder if just remembering to frame my overeating as an addiction from which I must abstain will really be all the help I need--I tend to deal well in black and white like that. I have gotten some starting steps from various websites, and I'll just see how it goes. Thanks again for your input!
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I have never attended but I have a friend who has been attending for years - it has definitely worked for her as she lost a lot of weight over 15 years ago and has kept it off ever since.