Do we really need 8 - 8oz of water every day?

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I really have to push myself to drink water between meals; most of my water intake starts at lunch. Drinking water in an empty stomach makes me sick and nauseated, unless I am very thirsty and that doesn’t happen too often.

Five to six glasses a day is enough for me, besides what I get from other sources. The best indicator of hydration is the color of the urine. If it is too yellow, you need more water; if it is totally clear, you are diluting your electrolytes too much. So we need to do what is best for us.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need that much water and recent research says it's a myth.

You need to drink when you're thirsty. Period.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've heard for the most effective weight loss and detoxification you should drink half your body weight in oz. more if you drink caffeine.

I heard the same. I drink about 150oz, you get used to it after awhile lol it is supposed to help aid in digestion, curb hunger - which alot of times you think your hingry but really thirsty and its supposed to help your skin and if have a big amount of weight to lose and dont want saggy skin, i figure prevention is best!

Try adding some fruit to it if that helps, give it a try!! Good luck!
  • kellyjw84
    kellyjw84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need 1 oz for ever 2 pounds of weight.... I strive for this and have learned it really does help not just with hunger but with detoxing your system!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've got this crazy little habit, I drink when I'm thirsty and don't drink when I'm not thirsty.

^^ this. If human beings needed 8 servings of 8 ounce glasses of water a day we'd probably have died out eons ago. I drink when I'm thirsty. I get plenty of additional fluid from the foods I eat, in my protein shake, and if I consume any types of milk.
  • kiachu
    Options
    I've got this crazy little habit, I drink when I'm thirsty and don't drink when I'm not thirsty.

Though you're being facetious, it actually is kind of a crazy habit: thirst is your body saying you're ALREADY dehydrated.

Wrong. Thirst is your body's way of regulating water intake. Smart little thing it is. A very natural process. That's your cue your body is wanting you to add additional fluids not that your dehydrated. Two different things. You can be thirsty and not dehydrated and you can be dehydrated and not thirsty.

Symptoms of dehydration would be extreme thirst, dry skin, dry lips, sucken eyes, decreased urine output, confusion, headaches, dizziness, lack of saliva production, lack of sweat.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I struggle woth this. I am lucky to get 16 oz of water not counting milk. If I drink that much I don't get work done cause I am racing to the bathroom. I know I need to do it. Am proud of myself that I have at least cut out my soda at lunch and drink water instead. One step / ounce at a time. Right ??
  • kiachu
    Options
    I struggle woth this. I am lucky to get 16 oz of water not counting milk. If I drink that much I don't get work done cause I am racing to the bathroom. I know I need to do it. Am proud of myself that I have at least cut out my soda at lunch and drink water instead. One step / ounce at a time. Right ??

As long as your peeing your fine. Your body is releasing fluid because it doesn't need it. If you stop peeing or its thick and dark yellow, brown or orange, that's when you know your in trouble. Huge cue that your body is retaining fluid because there isn't enough intake.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I try to drink about 4-5pints a day.. I think it's roughly about 64oz. I know I should probably drink more, but I hate stopping what I'm doing to pee, and I'm doing that all day as it is...

I don't think there's a right or wrong amount, as long as you're not feeling thirsty all the time, and you get enough for you.. all is good.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No. It has been proven false that you need a certain amount of water. You get what your body needs from the foods you eat and only when extreme heat or exercise would you need to replenish any of it. Don't believe me, Google it but stick to the reputable hits and not Joe's Fitness Blog. Nothing against Joe but likely he is an idiot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    NEED, no. But it seems to make me more efficient. I've been dehydrated and fatigue usually sets in fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Blmarlborough
    Options
    It's a lot like calories and macros; everyone's needs are different. Someone who is giving it 110% playing basketball, sprinting up and down the court is going to need more water to stay hydrated than someone sitting on their butt eating Miccy Dee's from 9 AM- 10 PM. Just listen to your body.
  • D2244
    D2244 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OK I must be the oddball here. I drink about 2-3 glasses a day. Can't imagine drinking a whole gallon.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    @ kiachu
    Thank you, it's always nice when some other knowledgable person comes to your aid. As it is, was not being facetious at all, it's the gods honest truth that I drink when I'm thirsty, I have days where I hardley drink two glasses of water, and others when I drink twenty, like I said, I know when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.
    I'd like to say it amazes me the myths people believe but unfortunately it doesn't, not enough people question what they are told.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I drink 120oz of water a day ..... What?

THIS!
    Just wanted to share that you're not alone.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Drinking water flushes the kidneys and it keeps you from eating when you are really just dehydrated.
  • srowe2
    srowe2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have to bring a water bottle to work or I will yield to the temptation to drink soda. I work in a bakery so that is already enough temptation, and its really hot so I need to hydrate.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I believe that we are all fooled. There is new research that is saying that we really don't need that much water from water if you eat a proper diet. I drink a couple glasses a day and I'm fine. I think a lot of people are way over hydrated. And, I also believe that being over hydrated is bad for you. You don't need that much water.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm a water addict. I have a 32 oz tumbler that I refill 3-4 times per day and I'm a petite person. It's a hard habit to get started by once your body is used to being nice and hydrated, it's like a night & day difference in how you feel when you drink enough and when you don't
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    No. It has been proven false that you need a certain amount of water. You get what your body needs from the foods you eat and only when extreme heat or exercise would you need to replenish any of it. Don't believe me, Google it but stick to the reputable hits and not Joe's Fitness Blog. Nothing against Joe but likely he is an idiot.

I bet you change your tune when you get your first kidney stone. I was one who couldn't be bothered to drink much most days....then I landed in the ER with a 14mm kidney stone. Further tests revealed that I was chronically dehydrated and actually needed about 4L per day to stay properly hydrated.