Can't drink enough water?

Options
I find it impossible to drink 8 whole cups a day. I can drink a bottle on a good day, maybe. I dont really ever feel thirsty, though. Any tips?

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring because really a cup (8oz) is smaller than you think, my usual drinking glasses are 2 cups each.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to make yourself drink it. You could try making sure you drink 2 cups at breakfast, 2 at lunch, 2 at dinner, and 2 when you eat a snack.
  • WorkLifeBalance
    Options
    Walk around with water bottle, you will find yourself sipping on water because its infront of you. It works for me.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    Try drinking it with a straw, it's much easier
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I find it impossible to drink 8 whole cups a day. I can drink a bottle on a good day, maybe. I dont really ever feel thirsty, though. Any tips?

There are quite a few ladies I work with who do this:

Purchase a 1 C measure.. bring it to work. Every time they fill it to drink, they put a paperclip in the hole of the handle. It reminds them how many they have consumed!

Once they count 8 paper clips, they have met the minimum requirement!
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are measuring your "cups" right. And If i feel hungry i normally drink water and wait a while and see how i feel, most of the time I wasn't hungry just thirtsty.... Also, try cutting up fruit and putting it in water, or use some drink flavors. If you drink alot of soda (cut that back and replace it with water.) I hope this helps. :drinker:
  • carneson3
    Options
    If it's a taste issue make flavored water. I use cucumbers, mint and lemon. I make a pitcher before bed then drink the whole thing the next day. It tastes awesome!
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    quit drinking everything but water, you'll get thirsty enough to drink it eventually. sad people don't drink water for so long that they despise the clean crisp taste of it
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    The water myth is baloney. If you're not thirsty, don't drink. Being over hydrated is not healthy. I drink a few glasses a day. The rest of my water comes from proper nutrition. Interestingly, if I have a bad diet for a few days, I drink way more water than when I eat like I should.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Walk around with water bottle, you will find yourself sipping on water because its infront of you. It works for me.

this works for me too!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Before I say this, I just want to say - I am NOT a water drinker. Before MFP, I was a 6 pack of Mt. Dew a day kind of girl. With sweet tea, and coffee in between. The only time I had water was when I brushed my teeth.

Yesterday, I drank about 180 oz of water. No, that wasn't a typo, ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY OUNCES. And it really wasn't that hard. I used to have really bad problems with Kidney Stones - and this is what my Urologist advised me to do.

I have a water bottle I got from the gas station - Glaceau Smartwater. It is 33.8 ounces per bottle. That makes about 4.2 servings of water. Every morning before I leave, I fill it up. When I feel like taking a sip - I make myself drink as much as I can. When I feel like I have to go to the bathroom, I pick the bottle up, and finish whatever water is left. Go for a bathroom break, fill the bottle up, and repeat. Drink what you can when you want to, but always finish it before you go to the bathroom. If you finish two bottles in a day - you have met your servings. It's also a mind trick. If I set 2 33 oz bottles down in front of you, or 4 16.9 oz bottles, you would choose the two - because regardless of the size, 2 is less than 4. Mentally we are drinking less. My advice, get the biggest bottle you feel comfortable carrying. I like the Smartwater bottle because it is tall and skinny. Dasani has a shorter fatter bottle that is more uncomfortable to carry. Just figure out what you like, but make sure it has a cap on it, so you can take it anywhere with you!

Another thing I have found - I can't DRINK ice cold water. I can sip it, but I can't DRINK it. It is too cold on my teeth, and it gives me a headache. I drink water at room temperature.

Hope this helps!
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If it's a taste issue make flavored water. I use cucumbers, mint and lemon. I make a pitcher before bed then drink the whole thing the next day. It tastes awesome!

Fab idea!!! I'll do that with my water tonight!

O.P. - I used to put sticky notes on my screen at work to remind myself to drink. I keep a 500ml bottle with me at all times and always fill it up when it gets to the end so that I'm aware I always need to drink water. I've had 7 glasses already and it's only 1pm. Just keep trying!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Carry a water bottle with you everywhere. Make a conscious effort to take a good swig every once in a while. If it is the taste you loathe, you could try those tetley infusions, or I make herbal tea and chill over night. Or add some cucumber and lemon to your water glass. Try, try, try :)