Road trip snacks?

Options
TracyV
TracyV Posts: 14 Member
I'm leaving at noon tomorrow for a 6 hour drive to my hometown to visit family and friends for the weekend. I'll probably grab something from Subway or Pita Pit for lunch just before I leave but it'll be a long 6 hours until I'll be at my mom's for supper (she's a WW leader and part of my inspiration to lose weight so don't have to worry about healthy eating once i get there). I'll have a couple bottles of water and a Coke Zero with me in case I need a caffeine boost. I used to grab a bag of chips or something like that to snack on during my drive but now that I'm watching what I eat I know that's not such a good idea. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could bring with me to munch on when I get hungry that won't kill my calorie (or fat/carbs/sodium etc) counts for the day. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time tonight so needs to be something that doesn't take much or any preparation work.

Replies

• Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    fruits & veggies
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like to munch on honey nut cheerios...simple healthy and sweet!
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    How funny, I'm heading out on a 6-7 hour drive tomorrow too :). I'm packing my normal snacks that get me through the work day.

- Carrots and Hummus
    - Fiber One Bar (the new 90 calorie version!)
    - apple

I'm also packing my lunch, just a turkey sandwich or a wrap.

Some other ideas are...

Quaker Rice cakes (minis), nuts (unsalted), cheese
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Get a snack bad and take dry cereal like raisin bran crunch or just plain raisins. You get your fruit and a snack.

I love 'bare naked' granola. I dont know if you have ever tried it but it is soooo yummy. If you have a Kroger, you can get it there.

dried bananas mixed with granola or nuts are good and good for you.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    my staples for road trips are beef jerkey and almonds or peanuts. a little high on the sodium side, but will hold hunger off for a while.
  • bolsen21
    Options
    get some slimfast snack bars, special k waters..it will keep you snacking but not consuming tons of junk food. :flowerforyou:
  • TracyV
    TracyV Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks for some great ideas =) now when i zip to the grocery store after work I can be in and out instead of trying to figure out what I want and what's good for me. I'm thinking cereal of some kind (we'll see what's good and maybe on sale lol) and might check the bulk section for some dried fruit and maybe some nuts.
  • fisher110
    fisher110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This may sound boring, but those small bags of baby carrots make a great healthy and crunchy snack. I use to always pig out when we were driving on trips. Since I started on my weight loss program, I make sure I only take things that I can eat without regret. Unsalted roasted almonds are another good snack. Also, I have found the best chewing gum ever -- it is EXTRA classic bubble.
  • hurton
    hurton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soy Crisps
    Gum
    apple
    hummus
    anything portioned

Safe travels